• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is my phone dead?

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
I left my phone on charge over night. Plugged into USB port on computer. When I came down it was flashing on the LG logo. I've tried lots of things, different batteries, letting it sit for a few hours, letting it "charge" for a few hours. Nothing seems to change. When I plug it in it flashes the LG logo. I vaguely remember this happening before when the battery is down to zero, and I plug it in and there's not enough charge to get it going and it shuts off.

It seems like it's coming on for one second, and then shutting off, turning back on, off, ..... like it never gets enough juice to stay on.

Any ideas, or should I just throw in the towel?

Was the phone on while it was "charging"? Leave it turned off and leave it plugged into the charger for 24 hours. It can't draw enough from the charger (regardless of how much the charger can supply - a larger charger won't change things) to both charge the battery and run the phone. All you're doing by plugging in the charger is discharging it slower.

Was the phone on while it was "charging"? Leave it turned off and leave it plugged into the charger for 24 hours. It can't draw enough from the charger (regardless of how much the charger can supply - a larger charger won't change things) to both charge the battery and run the phone. All you're doing by plugging in the charger is discharging it slower.

yes it was on when it was charging and all this happened.

I don't know how I can turn it off now... and I don't really know if it's "on" or "off" really... because it can't go past the LG logo for a second.

Is there any way to "turn it off" when it's in this condition? Since I have removed the battery a few times I assume it is "off" and yes my plan is to leave it like that on the charger for a day or two and pray that it comes back on. thanks

well it's been about 16 hours of charging now and it's still flashing.

i'm thinking about trying to charge it outside of the phone. I can find a power supply and connect directly to the terminals. the + and - are marked on the battery. has anyone tried to do this ?

If you can get into the recovery mode, then charge for 30 minutes. Then see if you can get it to boot into system and charge the rest of the way.

If you can get into the recovery mode, then charge for 30 minutes. Then see if you can get it to boot into system and charge the rest of the way.

how can i get into recovery mode? it turns off after one second, before even leaving the LG logo.

how can i get into recovery mode? it turns off after one second, before even leaving the LG logo.

In it's powered off state ... hold down home button, volume down and power all at the same time until you see the LG logo then release, you should now be in recovery.

I now think the problem is not the battery. I took the battery out and checked the voltage with a volt meter. it is 4.17 volts. that should be pretty much of a full charge for a battery that says 3.7 volts nominal on the label.

I have another battery that is 3.9 volts.

Both of them get the same results, just the LG logo flashing, no matter what I do. Even with the 4.17 volt battery that's all that happens. It can flash like that even when it's not plugged in, which seems to indicate it's not the battery causing the problem.

any other ideas?

I now think the problem is not the battery. I took the battery out and checked the voltage with a volt meter. it is 4.17 volts. that should be pretty much of a full charge for a battery that says 3.7 volts nominal on the label.

I have another battery that is 3.9 volts.

Both of them get the same results, just the LG logo flashing, no matter what I do. Even with the 4.17 volt battery that's all that happens. It can flash like that even when it's not plugged in, which seems to indicate it's not the battery causing the problem.

any other ideas?

Did you try to get into recovery the way i stated in above post?

Are you rooted?
If so, what recovery do you have?
Do you know the baseband of your phone?

It's possible that you may have bricked your phone, but don't worry, there are methods to unbrick but you have to give us more information about your phone.

If you are rooted we will get this thread moved to the all things root subforum.

Did you try to get into recovery the way i stated in above post?

Are you rooted?
If so, what recovery do you have?
Do you know the baseband of your phone?

It's possible that you may have bricked your phone, but don't worry, there are methods to unbrick but you have to give us more information about your phone.

If you are rooted we will get this thread moved to the all things root subforum.

yes I tried to get into recovery mode like explained above (with the three buttons) and I have no idea if it worked. I still have the same LG logo flashing. yes the phone is rooted. I'm not sure which recovery I have. I followed the instructions on the rooting page. I don't understand the terminology of rooting that much but I know the the "mod" or "image" I have is cyano-something 7, and there's some kind of backsider thing, and the video that shows when the phone is booting is of an android "flashing" and it says "always backup before you flash". I'm not sure what a baseband is. That's about all I can tell you. I might be able to dig up the files I used to root and flash the phone, I think they are still on my computer, if that would help. thanks for any info!

(by the way I'm one of the lucky ones still on the $25/mo plan so this has a huge impact on me financially... if I have to buy a new phone I'll probably end up doubling my monthly fee)

thanks for any advice!

You are going to have to get into emergency mode and flash the ZV4 or ZV5 firmware with the KDZ or KP500 unbrick guide.

When you bought the phone, and if it was used or new will let us know what baseband and screen version you have.

The KDZ and KP500 unbrick guides have the ZV5 firmware downloads. I made the ZV4 firmware compatible with them and have them on my Mediafire account.

Note: You have the BACKside ROM installed.

@Andy, looks like he has been a member since April 2011,he probably has the zv4.

@gary, you will need to get the zv4 firmware from andy and use the unbrick guides andy posted, found in the all things root guide (sticky) .

You are going to have to get into emergency mode and flash the ZV4 or ZV5 firmware with the KDZ or KP500 unbrick guide.

When you bought the phone, and if it was used or new will let us know what baseband and screen version you have.

The KDZ and KP500 unbrick guides have the ZV5 firmware downloads. I made the ZV4 firmware compatible with them and have them on my Mediafire account.

Note: You have the BACKside ROM installed.

thanks so much for the help. I checked my records and it appears that I bought the phone in may of 2011. It was new.

yes I tried to get into recovery mode like explained above (with the three buttons) and I have no idea if it worked. I still have the same LG logo flashing. yes the phone is rooted. I'm not sure which recovery I have. I followed the instructions on the rooting page. I don't understand the terminology of rooting that much but I know the the "mod" or "image" I have is cyano-something 7, and there's some kind of backsider thing, and the video that shows when the phone is booting is of an android "flashing" and it says "always backup before you flash". I'm not sure what a baseband is. That's about all I can tell you. I might be able to dig up the files I used to root and flash the phone, I think they are still on my computer, if that would help. thanks for any info!

(by the way I'm one of the lucky ones still on the $25/mo plan so this has a huge impact on me financially... if I have to buy a new phone I'll probably end up doubling my monthly fee)

thanks for any advice!

You may be able to keep the $25 plan if you get a phone that does not have 4G. We upgraded our daughter's OpV to the ZTE Awe and she is still on the $25 plan.

You may be able to keep the $25 plan if you get a phone that does not have 4G. We upgraded our daughter's OpV to the ZTE Awe and she is still on the $25 plan.

wow I didn't know that. I thought any new phone means you're off the plan. Does your daughter like that ZTE? I don't care about 4G. 3G is fine for me.

Moved your thread to the root section for more viewing and support, cheers :-)

If you still want to try unbricking your V, try this: VM670ZV4_KP500
You will need a good internet connection on your computer. The KP500 needs to be on the root of the C: drive in Windows OS. Might not work with Linux OS.

I looked at the zip file and I'm just not sure exactly what to do. the instructions on the "how to unbrick a phone" have a list of files that don't directly correlate to what is in the zip file. I'm one of those persons who can follow instructions very well but they have to correlate to what I have; I don't like to guess what to do next.

Sorry about that: You still need to go to the KP500 unbrick guide here: [GUIDE] Unbrick ANY Soft Bricked Optimus V with Official FW and KP500 - Android Forums
Download the drivers if you don't already have them installed, plus the LG Mobile Support Tool.
I just put the ZV4 firmware formatted for the KP500, and easy to understand instructions in the zip.

I tried it 3 times. twice it got to 99% and then it started flashing the LG logo again and then the program says the phone is not connected.

should I give up?

Ok. Try the KDZ. Go to the KDZ unbrick guide. Download this: VM670ZV4_KDZ

where is the KDZ unbrick guide I should go to?

at this point it's looking like i'm going to replace the phone but even if I do I would really like to get it working again because there was some important stuff on there. i'm a musician and I have been jotting down lyrics to songs and stuff like that I'd really like to get back and I'm willing to work for it.

question --- if I do get it working, will I have wiped all the data anyway? did I already do that when I got to 99%? if so it might not be worth the effort. (note, it was rooted and almost all my apps were linked to the SD card with Link2SD, but someone told me even if you do that, the data still sits on the internal memory. true? if not, maybe I can get the data off the SD card somehow?)

thanks

Gi to the All Things Root Guide sticky. Under the Guides section, Double check to make sure you have everything needed.

Back
Top Bottom