• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Galaxy Note Edge doomed to the same fate as the Samsung Continuum?

phandroid

Admin News Bot
In 2010 Samsung launched the Continuum, a Galaxy smartphone with a secondary ticker display. Four years later the concept returns with the Galaxy Note Edge. The technology is much prettier, but will things be different the second time around?

More...

Not sure about those other devices but I can't really see wanting a normal Note 4 when I can have the Edge. I'm sacrificing a little battery life, and minimal flat screen size to get access to a usable "2nd dimension" part of the screen. Sometimes I really hate pressing the home button to get to certain apps. If I can access them on the side quickly? Thats compelling for me.
That said, if they price it more than 100 dollars on contract It may make me pause. If the price is close to the note 4? I'm in!

This....
. It’s an impressive technical feat, and Samsung has fleshed out functionality to an extent that wasn’t seen on the Continuum.

Well, more and more websites are talking like THIS:

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge to be limited production concept device | TalkAndroid.com

:(

So IF Verizon gets a handful of Edges to spread around, the odds of my landing one - at a REASONABLE COST - are becoming infinitesimally small. Even if I am lucky enough to pre-order it full retail before it sells out... even if I get $200 back from Samsung... even if I have a corporate discount... it will STILL be prohibitively expensive. I can't justify a four digit expense for a device I'll have for a year or two.

Not to mention the impossibly small chance that developers will jump onboard with it with root exploits, bootstrap programs and custom ROMs.

So that's pretty much it for me, folks. I'm going to pre-order the Note 4 and be done with it. Perhaps the Note 5 or Edge 2 next year or 2016 will have the bent screen in full production and perfected...

Yeah, I'm an early adopter, I'll admit it... but I have no intention of owning a proof-of-concept device for which development is non-existent. So it's off to the Note 4 forums.

Thanks guys, for the excitement and the info! But I have all the info I need to know that I'm not going to hold out for an Edge and let the Note 4 run out of stock in the meantime. See ya!

:)

Well, more and more websites are talking like THIS:

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge to be limited production concept device | TalkAndroid.com

:(

So IF Verizon gets a handful of Edges to spread around, the odds of my landing one - at a REASONABLE COST - are becoming infinitesimally small. Even if I am lucky enough to pre-order it full retail before it sells out... even if I get $200 back from Samsung... even if I have a corporate discount... it will STILL be prohibitively expensive. I can't justify a four digit expense for a device I'll have for a year or two.

Not to mention the impossibly small chance that developers will jump onboard with it with root exploits, bootstrap programs and custom ROMs.

Thanks guys, for the excitement and the info! But I have all the info I need to know that I'm not going to hold out for an Edge and let the Note 4 run out of stock in the meantime. See ya! :)

:ditto:

However,I'm holding out until actual availability & that glimmer of hope for aftermarket development to follow.

I've been down this road w/the MOTOROLA PHOTON & the WEBTOP/LAPDOCK program:

Motorola confirms death of Webtop, laptop accessories - CNET

Basically,just as SAMSUNG said in so many words,this is what to expect.

I'd say if your expectations for a lot of aftermarket development are low & you can handle the phone as-is,go for it.
Otherwise,don't expect the offerings on the functionality of the side-screen to change much,if any at all,from what you get out-of-the-box.

In a nutshell:

Keep you expectations low & prepare to spend high if this is a must-have.

With the report that Samsung will only be producing these in limited quantities, that pretty much kills it for me. I'll stick with the note 4...

I was on the fence, and all set to get the Note 4, but I got a chance to play with Note Edge in Best Buy and it is nice. I can see myself using the edge panel to jump from one app to another quickly.

Back
Top Bottom