• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is There A Way To Print Over WiFi?

I read about the new Google Cloud Printing feature. I do not like the idea about running my docs through Google...or anyone else, especially after they have been caught recording information about people. Call me paranoid. I bought FileLinx a few days ago and I love it!! I can print doc,docx, and a bunch of other files right to my printer from anywhere. It works over WiFi and 3G, automatically. Best of all it transfers any type of file. No drivers, no nothing needed. easy setup. You just have to know how to port forward on your router for 3G access. You can also download the PC software as many times as you like and install it on more than one computer. For $6.00 I could not go wrong. I see that the developer made a few comments up above here. Congratulations to you, JF Brenner, you made a great piece of software.

Upvote 0
A bit late but only just got an Android. Wicked! FileLinx looks like the business. I have been doing it this way for now....
BTW, the print server is an old HP laser 4l shared on a windows 2000 machine that lives in my damp garage on a wifi LAN. I use ES explorer to SMB share the machines hard disk, so I can copy any file to and from it. The machine has vnc server (free) running on it. I connect to the pc form the HTC with a free vnc app and print away using open office etc etc.

Upvote 0
I finally found what I was looking for. PrintBot works over wifi and does not require any server app running on a PC. It gets the job done, but not perfectly. There are 2 issues I have presented to the developer, but they have not solved them. However, in the end, the result is the ability to print to an IP address over wifi, which is exactly what I wanted.

The 2 issues are more of a minor annoyance than anything else. For one, every print run wastes a whole added page printing a single line at the top with a sequence of numbers and text. I hate it when printing something like a web page wastes a second page printing one line of usually useless text, and this is similar.

The second issue is that PrintBot ALWAYS ends the operation with an error message on the Android device, claiming the operation failed. But it DOES print the desired content before the error message shows up. So it would seem that is just sloppy programming in some form.

I use an HP Deskjet 5150, which is not in PrintBot's list of printers, but it works by selecting HP 5100 series. I am primarily interested in printing text from my Ally, so the feature set options of various printers is not a concern for me.

I'll keep using PrintBot despite these annoyances because I have found nothing better. I just have plenty of scrap paper. ;)

Upvote 0
That could be, or it could also be related to the D-Link DP-301U print server I use to access the printer (it is shared across my LAN). Very likely the latter, as I have to use what is called the "LPR" printing method in order to make this 5150 printer work through the DP-301U. That in itself prohibits the use of 2-way communication from the printer back to the source. If PrintBot is expecting to receive some indication of the print job completing coming back to the Ally, that might be the source of the error. I am guessing that printers which actually have a LAN or wifi connection built into them would work with less hassle.

The only thing I would really like to see fixed is the wasting of paper. Getting the error message at the end each time is something I can live with, as I just see that as a "mission accomplished" indicator. :) It doesn't happen when I print by wifi from a notebook, so I don't think that the error message is related to the printing hardware.

Upvote 0
3) Another alternative will be to convert any multi-page document on the Android device to a pdf file, then send that in one gulp to print on the PC using FileLinx. This will work now, but it involves storing and retrieving a file on the Android device, which is not all that convenient. I am hoping to improve the logistics of this avenue, but not real time frame as yet.

Linux & Unix have all supported "network printer" features for decades. I know that I did lpr <file name> and pr >filename> or similar for many years. I would expect that Android, as a linux variant, would be able to grab onto those features with little troubles.

My HP printer is connected to the LAN wire/wifi shouldn't matter, it has its own IP address on my LAN and presents an administrative web page to any browser connecting to that IP address. Printer configuration supports several win-dose and *nix network printing protocols. Why cannot 'droid simply grab and use one of those?

Cheers,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Upvote 0
How do I print using Printshare without printer having to be on. I have paid version but only prints when my PC is on?

The paid version lets you print over wifi if you have a compatible printer. I print directly from wifi. I have never printed thru the cloud with Printershare.

As soon as I successfully printed a test page by wifi with the free version, I bought the paid version so I could print directly via wifi unlimitedly.

Upvote 0
I tried the apps, but they can get expensive. I have a wireless HP printer. Just get the wireless address off of the printer, go to the HP website and enter the code the printer gives you and you can print to your printer by sending an email. No app is needed. It works perfectly everytime. If the printer is off, then the next time you turn it on, it will print. Does not have to be connected to any computer. I simply email by document as an attachment and send to (MyuserID)@hpeprint.com

Upvote 0
I have the same problem as Zoandroid - and also found that printbot works. I was able to get it working within a minute or two.. just had to select LPD, type in the IP of the printer, and type in a port name (I typed in dell as that's what I set the printer name up as). It worked immediately. I also selected HP Laserjet 4 as a generic print driver for it.. which works for pretty much any laser printer out there.

The only problem, though, is that it only prints files.. it won't print a webpage, similar to a Mac or a PC would.

I can't just click "print" from a webpage.. if I do that, it uses some proprietary samsung software that only seems to want to print to samsung printers, of which I have none.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem as Zoandroid - and also found that printbot works. I was able to get it working within a minute or two.. just had to select LPD, type in the IP of the printer, and type in a port name (I typed in dell as that's what I set the printer name up as). It worked immediately. I also selected HP Laserjet 4 as a generic print driver for it.. which works for pretty much any laser printer out there.

The only problem, though, is that it only prints files.. it won't print a webpage, similar to a Mac or a PC would.

I can't just click "print" from a webpage.. if I do that, it uses some proprietary samsung software that only seems to want to print to samsung printers, of which I have none.

I found a way to print a web page. I use an app called ScreenshotIt (the full version) to take a screen shot of the web page (or the part of it that I want) and once I have that, I can 'share' the resulting image file to PrintBot and print it.

Upvote 0
Wi-fi networks operate by having computers connect (over radio channels) to a wireless access point. The access point manages the network, and routes network packets between wireless clients or between a wireless client and a remote node accessible over a wired network backbone. Given the right configuration, you can run the access point's configuration utility from a remote location, e.g., over the Internet. Among other information, the configuration utility will tell you which nodes are using the Wi-fi network at that time.

Upvote 0
I guess taking a screen shot is a way to do it. I did find that Printbot does allow you to print from clipboard, which was helpful since I just needed to print some text I had written.

I was just hoping to find something that I could click File | Print.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, and it does have that print feature, the only problem is that it tells me that my printer is incompatible.. apparently it's only compatible with Samsung printers. Quite frustrating...

Guess this is on the bleeding edge...

Upvote 0
Android Print, which may be what you have on your Galaxy tablet, appears to be a good example of "marketing-driven" programming. They create a feature lots of people want, but it only works if you run out and buy a new printer from their carefully selected list, likely subsidized by certain printer vendors. ;)

I really like PrintBot, because it doesn't require any PC to be running in order to use it, and doesn't send your print job off into the cloud. It also supports a huge number of printer models if you have them connected to a wireless print server, or if they have WiFi capability. If they could just address the "print from a web page" issue, it would really be an ideal app. Until then, using screen shot apps will let me print whatever I see on my device's display.

Upvote 0
I really like PrintBot, because it doesn't require any PC to be running in order to use it, and doesn't send your print job off into the cloud. It also supports a huge number of printer models if you have them connected to a wireless print server, or if they have WiFi capability. If they could just address the "print from a web page" issue, it would really be an ideal app. Until then, using screen shot apps will let me print whatever I see on my device's display.

I tried setting up PrintBot with my Brother MFC-J430W over WiFi, but it couldn't find a specific driver for it. There is a whole list of other Brother printers available. Just wondering if anyone has had luck using a driver for one of them.

What is the print from a web page issue?

Upvote 0
Thank you for Sharing about Print Bot, Coming from the Apple world where everything just works, It's nice to know there is a FREE app that works with no drama, These devices (excite 10 & nexus) are new to me & I must say, Years behind iOS in terms of ease of use or proficiency. not bad.
My only concern from an enterprise standpoint is profile management...
Anyway, I'm pleased to report, after trying cloud print & printer share, I was able to, with PrintBot, Get all of these devices to print correctly to a Konica, A toshiba, A kyocera, A brother, Epson & canon, using close drivers, most Office printers use PS or ipl, or pal, So, If you're close in driver series, they all work, Haven't Really played with margins or custom setups, but this IS A tablet & a phone we're talking about folks, it WILL have limitations. :)

Upvote 0
I tried setting up PrintBot with my Brother MFC-J430W over WiFi, but it couldn't find a specific driver for it. There is a whole list of other Brother printers available. Just wondering if anyone has had luck using a driver for one of them.

What is the print from a web page issue?

When you try to send a web page to PrintBot, it generates an error popup that says something about URL printing only being supported in the PRO version (which I now use) and won't print the page. I think it has to do with so many web pages these days no longer being just text and pictures, but being generated dynamically on the fly using things like Flash and Java. I keep hoping the dev will work out this issue. In the mean time I use the workarounds mentioned above. More than one way to skin a cat. ;)

Reactions: bruce73
Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 that I would like to print emails from via my local networked printer "Epson Stylus BX525WD". I have tried iCanPrint that operates via the local IP address, this worked fine, but there is no option to print emails so in other words it is actually quit useless for my requirements. I have also found that some other Apps do not list my printer, but instead lists the "Epson Stylus BX535WD", so unfortunately I was not able to see whether these would print emails . I would therefore appreciate if someone could direct me to an App that will do what I require via a network printer please. Thank-you in advance

Upvote 0
Hi Phil, and welcome to Android Forums!

What I have learned over the years doing this is that it is common to not find the driver selection for the specific model of printer you may have, but selecting a model similar in nature will work, especially for apps like PrintBot that do not attempt to offer all the bells and whistles on a print job that you might see printing from a computer. I suggest you try the BX535WD selection and see if that works. You may also like to try PrintBot. It works for me very well, and will list on your S3 under the "Share" selection available when viewing many files and apps.

Unfortunately, GMail does not appear to be one of them. But if you use a different app for your mail, such as K9 Mail (my favorite - which has more features and conveniences than GMail) you definitely can send an email to PrintBot from there.

Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7...I also get the stupid message telling me to buy a crap Samsung printer! (which I refuse to do)..I also use an Ipad2 which I fooled into using Apple airprint using a Netgear download (this works fine for the Ipad but not the Tab).
There would appear to be no way of printing from a Tab to a network using IP addressing, (eg 192.168.2.12) because you still need a printer driver (according to Printbot) as my inkjet is a Brother DCP340CW there is no driver! My Kyocera laser has a driver via the Kyocera app on playstore.
I bought an android to see just how much of a challenge it would be to Apple - answer = not in the same league...it's a toy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones