• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this phone still worth buying

animal47

Currently own a note 2 but am starting to get a bit bored and fancy a change so have decided on either the z or htc one. I love the look of the z but from tests I have seen the one is a better phone. The question is though, is the one that much better to warrant the extra cash that they cost over the z or would I be happy with the z.
Anyone else gone from a note 2 to the z.

My main problem is that I really like the look of the z a lot more than the one so I would be paying around

The only thing i have never heard of anyone BRICK any sony devices . Very hard but a lot when rooted and flashing .

My main problem is that I really like the look of the z a lot more than the one

You've answered your own question, then. Why go with a handset you're not keen on? You're the one who has to live with it. :)

Fwiw, I'd give the same answer if the roles were reversed and you favoured the One. The "best" phone for you is the one you feel happiest using.

You've answered your own question, then. Why go with a handset you're not keen on? You're the one who has to live with it. :)

Fwiw, I'd give the same answer if the roles were reversed and you favoured the One. The "best" phone for you is the one you feel happiest using.

I definitely agree with you here. I just switched to the Xperia Z yesterday after finally dumping VZW. I have used quite a few phones and this one is, hands down, the best as far as in-call sound quality goes. It's also pretty easy on the eyes. ;)

Yep your right I did answer my own question really so I have now gone and bought a Z.
I hope I like it as much as I do my note 2.

its a very good phone, i doubt you'll be disapointed.
The cleaner android look gets my vote along with the simple design- you may be use to a samsung by now though as there quite different to operate!

I am now sort of used to the samsung but there are so many gimicky features that I have never used and tbh no longer have any interest in. I am looking forward to a more basic ui although I am sure to miss the battery life of the n2.
I do watch quite a lot of movies on my phone so what I have read about the Z screen makes me think that I will love it for movies. I really like the look of the charging dock as well as I can watch movies whilst it is on charge although I suppose I cant use the dock with any kind of case fitted.

Well it has now turned up but with all the stuff I have been reading about screens cracking I am afraid to take it out of the box let alone put it in my pocket.

Well I have now spent most of the night messing about with this phone and I am impressed. The web browsing is superb and pages load instantly and almost everything is done quicker than on the note 2. The screen is gorgeous and it is comfortable to hold as well as being nice and light. I love the power saving with the option to add things that you still want running in the background.
Speedtest results on my n2 are always between around 11mb yet for some reason the Z gets speeds of 25mb with the same sim so I guess the internal modem on a 4g ready device is just quicker.
I love the fact that the Z has a much more basic ui and has no fancy gimmicks.
In fact I love everything about the Z other than the horrendous battery life compared to the n2 and the fact that the flaps can be a bit tricky for someone like me who bites their nails.

A charging dock is definitely going to be bought but not sure about bt headphones as I have only recently bought a pair of klipsch so dont want to fork out for another set for a while.

Well I have been using the Z for a while now and absolutely love it, I know people have complained about the screen being washed out and I will agree that the colours are not as vivid as my n2 were but I actually prefer the Z look now I am used to it.
The phone is very quick and hasn't played up at all and the charging dock is great, battery life isn't too bad with stamina mode on although nowhere near as good as the n2. Where the Z is head and shoulders above the n2 though is call quality, click on a contact and press call and it all happens pretty much instantly whereas the n2 always took ages to actually do anything once you pressed call, reception is also better both on calls and 3g.
My only complaint so far is that I have yet to find a flash supported browser that actually forces desktop view like the stock browser on my n2 did.

Glad you're liking the Z. Have you updated to the latest firmware, as it adds user-adjustable white balance to the Display menu? I found that tweaking that to personal taste made quite an improvement.

As far as browsers go, have you tried Boat Browser? I believe that it supports Flash and can be configured to use desktop mode by default.

Caveat: I'm using Chrome only so am only going by third-party evidence. Don't shoot the messenger! :)

I do have the white balance adjustment but have not touched it for fear of making a pigs ear of it.
Have tried boat and although it has a desktop setting some pages still get through in mobile mode as has happened with all the browsers I have tried other than chrome.

I'm glad your impressed, i love the phone and updates are improving things and features all the time- it does seem as if sony really are focusing on there phones now.
My only complaint is the battery life which you've mentioned a fair bit- if it just had another 20% or so battery life it would be prefect for a typical days use with me.

Does anyone else's phone play up when it comes off of charge.
When I remove the charge lead it can take up to a minute to come back to life, it just seems to freeze and the charge light stays on. This happens whether using a lead or dock. As soon as it sorts itself out it is fine and never plays up when not on charge.

Does anyone else's phone play up when it comes off of charge.
When I remove the charge lead it can take up to a minute to come back to life, it just seems to freeze and the charge light stays on. This happens whether using a lead or dock. As soon as it sorts itself out it is fine and never plays up when not on charge.

Could you explain a little bit more? Also, are you running stock or have you rooted?

On the dock I use the original charger but when just plugging in a lead I just use any of the several that we have dotted around the house.

On the dock I use the original charger

That should work fine.

when just plugging in a lead I just use any of the several that we have dotted around the house.

The Z charger outputs 1.5A, so check the amperages; I don't think a lower charging rate will cause this issue, but it will take longer to charge and may even prevent the battery reaching full capacity.

Back
Top Bottom