• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue installing WhatsApp

I had WhatsApp working fine on my Huawei phone since last November, but just changed to LG Spirit and now it's not working. I started using WhatsApp while still in the UK, and when we moved to Cyprus I changed provider, inserted the new SIM, and everything worked as it did in the UK, including WhatsApp.

I downloaded WhatsApp onto the LG, but realised that it was not working when a friend in the UK did not reply to my message. I had messed up adding the activation code, but realised the problem, altered a message setting and reinstalled and went round again. I still could not send or receive any messages from UK. Strangely, when I reinstalled this morning I received a message from a friend here in Cyprus, but it's still not receiving/sending with UK.

I searched the WhatsApp help and followed all the instructions to reinstall (now done about six times), and now when I try to verify it says it can't do this by text, so I requested the call, that worked, and thought all was well. Can still only exchange messages with people in Cyprus. Now when I try to verify, the call cannot be done, and I now have to wait 22 hours to try again!!

I only use wi-fi when at home or wherever there may be a connection, as I don't use mobile data as I am on PAYG and it's quite pricey here.

Doing a little more research, I found some info that mentions the phone number being stored on the SIM to be able to be relayed to activation requests, and mine is not. When I go into my settings at About Phone>Status, it says under My phone number 'unknown' - so I'm guessing this may be the issue, but I can't find a way to add my own number to the SIM card. I checked hubby's phone (Samsung Galaxy) and there is a way to do it on that, but I am now stumped!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones