• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue with system Monitor apps on CM?

wooky69

Android Enthusiast
I'm having an odd issue with a couple of apps that are supposed to list running apps and their CPU use etc. One is System Monitor Lite and another Watchdog Lite. If I install them on a standard Galaxy Note 2 they work correctly. On my GS5 with CM 12.1 OS neither app seems able to list running apps. All other features of these apps work as they should but in the app must they only show themselves and not other apps.

What feature in CM could cause this to fail?
(I have posted this in the CM forum but not had a reply, just thought I'd pick some brains here too)

Thanks all :)

not running cm, but did you possibly block access through AppOps? dunno if CM has that feature... just a shot in the dark

I noticed / can see the same behavior in System Panel Lite.

The paid version of System Panel, however, gives me this pop-up when I first launch it (i.e., the first paragraph is the relevant one here):

system-panel-notification.png

but it looks like they've coded around this issue for the paid version of the app--i.e., I see information here that I do not in the Lite version.

I remember reading about this change several weeks ago...lemme see if I can dig around and find out more.

Ah, this is the page that I saw regarding this:

which says:

CVE-2015-3833 and you

The past month has been dominated by highly publicized vulnerabilities such as ‘Stagefright’, ‘Certifi-gate’, and ‘Deserialization’, however the August wave of fixes also included many other fixes, one of which in particular we have received a lot of questions/complaints over.

CVE-2015-3833 affects Android 5.0 and higher, and is officially described as follows:

Mitigation bypass of restrictions on getRecentTasks()

A local application can reliably determine the foreground application, circumventing the getRecentTasks() restriction introduced in Android 5.0.
This is rated as a moderate severity vulnerability because it can allow a local app to access data normally protected by permissions with a “dangerous” protection level.

This particular patch was merged into CM sources on August 12th. As a result, apps that relied on attaining a list of running processes via the now plugged hole will fail to function properly. This includes (but is not limited to) apps like Greenify, FMR Memory cleaner, Zillow and System Panel [1]. Google’s AOSP r9 release also contains this fix, so most devices receiving a 5.0 or a 5.1 OTA update from manufacturers will also be impacted.

[1] System Panel’s author has put out an updated app that contains a workaround for the blockage.

How to know if you have an affected application

If you take a look at your logcat, apps that are blocked due to the vulnerability being addressed will show an error message with the contacts REAL_GET_TASKS. If you see this in your logs, you have an app that is affected by this protection mechanism.

Affected apps will need to implement workarounds as needed.

Back
Top Bottom