• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's out! It's out! No more rumors!

If those pics represent the real N4 looks like they cut down on the bezels quite a bit.
Just wish they could of rounded the corners a bit more to make it pocket-able. No problem carrying around in summer with shorts, but winter and jeans made the N3 a no go for me. Guess will see in a few weeks.

It's more impressive than a phone that looks pretty much the same as the one I have already!

Yes, very true. Just not sure if it's worth an upgrade from the Note 3, which (despite my batteries losing a little bit of steam for me) is still an awesome phone. And, part of me feels that the curved/bent display will be a Korea exclusive. That's been Samsung's MO. We'll just have to see, in a few weeks. No matter how I try to think about where the benefits would be with the curved display, I can't think of anything (in my daily life) that would make that beneficial at all. At that point, to me, it becomes gimmicky.

Well, it's not a bent-screen or flexible phone, but mind the date on the screen!

galaxy-note-4-retail-box-1.jpg

September 15th happens to be the beginning of Samsung's employee vacation black-out... meaning all hands on deck from the 15th to the 28th. That gives me every reason to believe that the 15th is the release date.

Now carriers may stall a few days, depending on who they are, but at least we shouldn't have to wait long to have a ote in our hands!

:)

Well, it's not a bent-screen or flexible phone, but mind the date on the screen!

September 15th happens to be the beginning of Samsung's employee vacation black-out... meaning all hands on deck from the 15th to the 28th. That gives me every reason to believe that the 15th is the release date.

Now carriers may stall a few days, depending on who they are, but at least we shouldn't have to wait long to have a ote in our hands!

:)

Nice catch! I'm hoping that it nets Samsung enough money, to come up with a spectacular folding phone next year!...LOL. In all seriousness, part of me feels like they actually did increase the screen to 5.9, based on the slight shrinking of the bezels.

Just looking at the pics, it seems like the bottom and side bezels are shrunken significantly compared to the Note 3. In addition to that, the home button looks slimmer.

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but that's what it looks like.

Honestly I like what I am seeing. I do not want the N4 to be some kind of testing ground for gimmicky stuff like bent screens, etc. I wanted the same basic build with smaller bezels, a better display, better processor, better camera, hopefully better speaker(s) and very important to me with be ip67 waterproof. Also the radio - the N3 radio is on the weak side, Sammy really needs to put a stronger radio in the N4. Unless they lock it down like fort Knox I will most likely be upgrading from my N3 once someone has rooted the N4. All I really need is root, from there I can modify the main functions of the phone enough for my likes with root capabilities alone.

Looking at the leaked pics, I think there is only one speaker, on the bottom just like the N3. Not a deal killer, but I was hoping or dual speakers. Hopefully they beef up the speaker/volume level of the speaker over the N3 as I feel the N3 has a fairly weak external speaker.

I have a feeling Samsung's tripping over themselves trying to get this released before the iPhone 5.5". Apparently the N4 could have L on it at launch. Seems aggressive for a big release since L is still in beta, but not super long to find out.

Would be nice if L is on it- assuming card writes are enabled as some tech sites have stated. I would not be as bothered with root- if we had card writes out of box.

I just saw the picture of the all metal Samsung Alpha. My heart just bleeds! Its so gorgeous!

I am just praying to something that the N4 will look something like that!

I just saw the picture of the all metal Samsung Alpha. My heart just bleeds! Its so gorgeous!

I am just praying to something that the N4 will look something like that!

While it's nice, I wouldn't say it is that ground breaking. Plus they sacrificed the micro sd for metal. That will always be deal breaker for me

Also, where the G3 goes too far with their current tech using 1440p, the Alpha goes retro with 720p. Chipset though fits 720p.

Smart though to announce this now, rather than when the N4 hits. I am very surprised no word on the S5 Qhd for the US, or something similar. The N4 is a phablet, so not the same as the two iPhones launching.

Samsung appears about to lose a lot of marketshare soon.

A better build of the S5 with Qhd, 805 and 32GB would seem a better addition this fall than just the N4.

Also, where the G3 goes too far with their current tech using 1440p, the Alpha goes retro with 720p. Chipset though fits 720p.

Smart though to announce this now, rather than when the N4 hits. I am very surprised no word on the S5 Qhd for the US, or something similar. The N4 is a phablet, so not the same as the two iPhones launching.

A better build of the S5 with Qhd, 805 and 32GB would seem a better addition this fall than just the N4.

I am hoping they just go back to 1080p screen technology. I'll take a faster operating system, greater battery life and less heat over a screen that will make no difference to me visually in 99% of my use.
Marketing can end up being a curse for consumers.

Now if your talking a 55"-70" big screen, I am all over that as the difference is night and day legible. Even then I think we are still a few years away from having enough programming to make it worth while. JMO

I definitely agree on this strategy. The Note series are still a specialized line that many people think are too large. For me they are perfect, but the larger customer base wants something around a 5" screen. So a better S5 that eclipses the next iPhone would be Sammys best bet. They are thinking too much about tech that usually ends up gimmicky. Although a true foldable phone with a flexible display would be something I can see being a real winner if implemented properly. I am skeptical if the first iterations would not be chock full of issues, but that is how things usually evolve - improving on the original form and making it better in newer versions.

I definitely agree on this strategy. The Note series are still a specialized line that many people think are too large. For me they are perfect, but the larger customer base wants something around a 5" screen. So a better S5 that eclipses the next iPhone would be Sammys best bet. They are thinking too much about tech that usually ends up gimmicky. Although a true foldable phone with a flexible display would be something I can see being a real winner if implemented properly. I am skeptical if the first iterations would not be chock full of issues, but that is how things usually evolve - improving on the original form and making it better in newer versions.

I agree about the foldable phones. I think that will be the next big thing to get the saturated markets such as the US, Europe and Japan excited about uprading prematurely again.
I just wonder how they are going to implement texting on such a device. Should prove to be very interesting.

What are the chances that the note 4 won't support art? I just read a review of the alpha which said TouchWiz phones don't support art which my rooted note 3 also does not so it made me worried.

Maybe it's just the Rom I'm using (jedi x)? I could have sworn I had an option for art at one point.

Awesome that there is 4gb of ram. Not awesome is that they're bothering with a 16 gb version. Couldn't ask for much more than that.

All in all still super hyped and will be there on day one.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 promo video posted as retailer puts up product page, spec list | PhoneDog

So, I just came across this and it's supposedly the specs of the N4.

What do you guys think?

Awesome. Thanks for posting this. Phandroid also posted an article:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 specs and pricing leaked ahead of announcement

From the list of specs, the only thing I'm paying attention to is 1) Will they offer the 64gb in the US...finally (after years of teasing higher storage versions, only to release 16gb w/ the Note 2, and then 32gb w/ the Note 3, and 2) Have they shrunk the overall physical dimensions, while keeping the 5.7 screen.

Until I recently found out about the unnecessary thumbnail storing protocol that was implemented since ICS, I started running into storage issues on my Note 3! The bigger that apps get, especially the ones I use most frequently, the 64gb is quickly becoming a "must have" for me (in addition to the microSD slot). Luckily, since I found out about the thumbnail protocol, I was able to delete unnecessary thumbnails and save 1GB on my Tablet and 3GB on my phone (after deletion). Just annoying that I have to pay attention to all these things that really aren't needed.

I will buy the 64gb version if offered. 16gb would be no sale.

Considering what the US carriers did last year (Samsung offered 16/32/64), they all opted to only offer the 32gb version.

What's funny is, I love hearing the excuses year after year. The Note 2 subsidized price was $299 and the reasoning for the increased 100 price was due to the S-Pen and that adding a 32gb or 64gb offering, would be too costly. The Note 3 offering 32gb was $299 subsidized (w/ exception to Sprint who initially offered at $349). So, if Samsung really wants to be smart about the Note 4 (and considering that other OEM's are picking up steam), I'd hope that if the US carriers offer all versions, it'd be $199/$249/$299 respectively for the 16/32/64.

I would still consider getting the Note 4, if the 64gb is offered and at a $349 subsidized price. Otherwise, I'm just waiting for next year.

The only 16gb or 32gb of phone I know is the Nexus line. I have yet to see a 16gb or 32gb of Note 2 or 3. You only get one choice whatever the carrier sell to you right?

The only 16gb or 32gb of phone I know is the Nexus line. I have yet to see a 16gb or 32gb of Note 2 or 3. You only get one choice whatever the carrier sell to you right?

Did you even read my post? I specifically outlined how this was the US manufacturers choice, of only offering a 16gb (Note 2) and last year 32gb (Note 3).

The US carriers did offer all 3 16/32/64 for the Galaxy S3. I think that is what made them hold off on paying extra to get the higher models. The consistent excuse has been "costs," but if you really read between the lines, both the carriers and the OEM's are just trying to increase their profit margin, without alienating the customers.

Now, that said, Korea as gotten a 16/32/64 offering for all versions of the Note series. Every single Note announcement that Samsung has delivered, even mentions it during the presentation, yet it doesn't end up being the case when it comes to US, UK, and other areas of Europe. It's really quite funny, to the point that I don't even pay attention when the initial announcements are made. I just wait until the official announcement is made for my own carrier.

Okay, so I just caught this rendor from one of the blogs:
galaxy_note_4_render_0.jpg

Looking at the rendor, I could see how a curved screen could potentially cut down on the physical dimensions of the Note series (or even just make the phone ergonomically easier to hold). That said, I'm still not sold on how it would be, as far as functionality is concerned.

In listening to the Phandroid podcast today, I agreed with the guys mentioning how Samsung just seems to be so focused on becoming the Korean version of Apple, that they're straying away from what got them to the top of sales in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom