• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root JB and Root

Safestrap is the one with the little guy that pops up every time you reboot the phone and yes, it is touch driven. I believe if you clear your caches you can stop the dl from trying to apply when you reboot but I'm not sure... Maybe someone else can chime in on that. You need to uninstall safestrap and follow the instructions in that link to remove/rename the files that it leaves behind. But, be sure you can stop the JB OTA from installing first.

Before you take the update read through the post that Wildkitten referenced earlier:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/217680-droid-bionic-jelly-bean-update.html

I know, it's long but contains a wealth of information. Especially pay attention to the posts by SamuriHL, the creator of House Of Bionic and definitely a Bionic guru! Page 80 picks up about where the OTA came out last week.

The abbreviated list of things to do is,
Uninstall safestrap and manually remove residual files
Make sure you have the latest Superuser app and update the binaries
Install VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper and protect root
Use VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper to temporary un-root
Install JB OTA update

Will those here who have successfully updated to JB and kept root please check my work here?
I don't think I missed anything but want to make sure.

Then, keep your fingers crossed. It has worked for most, not worked for some and only partially worked for a few others (myself included).

BTW, Dan finished the root exploited and Samuri tested it and it got him root back. Suppose to be released in a few hours. Guess it's time to find a friend with Linux who knows how to use it.

BTW, Dan finished the root exploited and Samuri tested it and it got him root back. Suppose to be released in a few hours. Guess it's time to find a friend with Linux who knows how to use it.
Glad to hear Samuri is fixed!!! It shouldn't be that tough for someone to create a bootable CD image of linux with the necessary drivers and a batch file you can run. Give it a bit... :)

Glad to hear Samuri is fixed!!! It shouldn't be that tough for someone to create a bootable CD image of linux with the necessary drivers and a batch file you can run. Give it a bit... :)

Oh it's not a matter of finidng the Linux. I know I can DL Ubuntu for free, and I'm fairly certain I could put it on a USB drive. It's a matter of actually understanding Linux once it boots up. And from what I understand, this root method isn't exactly the easiest thing either. I believe I know someone with Linux who would be able to understand the ADB instructions a lot better than me who should be able to root my phone.

Glad to hear progress is being made. This is the longest I've been unrooted since I got my first Android phone.

I successfully updated 4.1.2 JB and kept root with ota rootkeeper. Will I lose root if I do a factory data reset?

So I haven't read that thread yet but I will. I just have one question, how do I uninstall safe strap?

That's fairly simple. Restart the phone and press menu when prompted to start safestrap recovery. When in Safestrap, press the activate button, then activate the stock system. Press the button in the main menu of recovery to reboot the phone.

When the phone restarts, you should still have the safestrap icon in your app drawer. Start the app, and press the button to uninstall recovery.

Restart the phone to verify that you are not prompted to press menu to start safestrap.

you should not loose root as a FDR does not touch system files.

Technically you are probably correct... but when I did an FDR, I did have to replace the SU and re-chmod it since it no longer worked as given in the previously mentioned link above. So something was corrupted or at least changed after the FDR.

OK, I did the FDR and lost root. I'm not sure how I should have approached things after the FDR. I did update Superuser from Play before trying root and I see that the permissions are wrong on Superuser, but I can't change them without root. I can't restore anything in TiBu without root. Time to get Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive and figure out how to do the Linux root method.

That's fairly simple. Restart the phone and press menu when prompted to start safestrap recovery. When in Safestrap, press the activate button, then activate the stock system. Press the button in the main menu of recovery to reboot the phone.

When the phone restarts, you should still have the safestrap icon in your app drawer. Start the app, and press the button to uninstall recovery.

Restart the phone to verify that you are not prompted to press menu to start safestrap.
Then, do check out this thread:
OTA ICS fails at 25% due to bootstrap - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

This will tell you which files that SS left behind that you need to manually delete or rename to allow the OTA to install properly.

Back
Top Bottom