• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean discussion/issues thread (released Dec. 13)

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but the update is done without wiping everything? I haven't done a new software update to a phone in a couple of years, and obviously this is the first new version on the LTEVO.

If the goal is to clear the cache, should the hard reset be done before or after the update? Or, why not use a cache cleaning app?

Cache cleaning apps don't tell the whole truth.

What needs to be cleaned requires privileged access - that means either rooted and off the reservation of normal user - or - factory data reset.

I've always cleared after updating, that works fair enough. ;)

Upvote 0
I am having mixed feelings about this update. Sometimes the phone flies and is as smooth as butter. Other times it is laggy and just feels slower. And my battery life has been cut in half but I am thinking it is an errant app and perhaps Google Now.

Mine somethings lags a bit too..but my battery life has def improved. I'm on 17 hours with 21% left. That's unheard of for me

Upvote 0
Mine somethings lags a bit too..but my battery life has def improved. I'm on 17 hours with 21% left. That's unheard of for me

I turned off Google Now and my battery seems to be back up to par, too early to tell though. I wiped my HTC cache for another issue I was having so that could have done it as well.

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0
I am having mixed feelings about this update. Sometimes the phone flies and is as smooth as butter. Other times it is laggy and just feels slower. And my battery life has been cut in half but I am thinking it is an errant app and perhaps Google Now.
I always do a reset after accepting an update. This usually fix most.. if not all problems.

Upvote 0
Really not enjoying the music player in Sense 4. Miss the list view for artists. Album art updating is a miserable process. Miss the sound enhancement options in 3.6. Beats Audio is not too great IMO.
Sense 4 player has forced me to download a music app from the Play Store. I never thought for a moment about that with the previous HTC player.
I do enjoy the speedier UI....but honestly, I liked Sense because it was so different from the stock Android experience. Polished and refined. I think many HTC customers felt the same.
Sorry for the rant.
Love the speed of my new EVO 4g LTE....but really do not like the changes to Sense.

Upvote 0
Anyone have this issue......answering a call the screen goes completely black, can't see a thing. Its happened several times.....I'm not wild about this new "upgrade" @ all

This was happening to me before the upgrade but unfortunately it still happens. If I have the phone laying on a surface and answer, sometimes the screen blacks out. I have to pick it up to turn it back on.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I did not root prior to obtaining JB!! Is a rooting method available for the JB update?

Yes, no problem. Please visit our root forum (linked above the thread list) for details. Many are asking the question, so check out existing threads or start your own, whatever you need. :)

Upvote 0
I have a question about this update...

There have been a few issues I encountered when I updated to ICS even after I did a factory reset. If I back up all of my info that I currently have and then do a factory reset after updating to Jellybean, when I restore my backup data to the phone will I encounter issues on the new update?

Hope that question makes sense (pun intended)

Upvote 0
I have a question about this update...

There have been a few issues I encountered when I updated to ICS even after I did a factory reset. If I back up all of my info that I currently have and then do a factory reset after updating to Jellybean, when I restore my backup data to the phone will I encounter issues on the new update?

Hope that question makes sense (pun intended)

The phone came with ics. Every ota we have had up until this point has been to fix issues that came with the phone.

I'm not sure what the second part of your post is asking

Upvote 0
The phone came with ics. Every ota we have had up until this point has been to fix issues that came with the phone.

I'm not sure what the second part of your post is asking

Sorry, I meant the last ICS update that was released. After I updated, I encountered some issues with it even after a factory reset.

So, I'm wondering if the data backup I create now will affect the Jellybean update when I restore my settings from the backup?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones