• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean Released - 2013.04.17

I think I'm a couple days ahead of you Thom with the JB install. Just started realizing the extra battery life today.

I'm still experiencing wicked battery drain after the update and FDR. This is my third day with update. I have a somewhat new extended battery. Usually can go from 6 am to 11 pm with about 25 % left. Today I am at 25% at 3 pm.

Tempted to reinstall Juice Defender, though I know most say it interferes with the set's ability to control its own battery.

I'm unrooted. I run the update and in about 30 seconds it turns the android icon on its back and has a red triangle, stops then boots back up saying update failed. I tried this at least 5 times. Is there any steps I need to be doing before installing the update?

This is mostly guessing ...

If you were root-ed I would assume you had deleted a program that the update needs.

Since you were never root-ed the only thing that comes to mind is a bad download or some corrupted data.

You could try clearing the cache (see ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/421050-post-your-tips-bionic-here-3.html#post5739212) and the try the update again.

IF (and I repeat IF) you are planning to do a Factory Data Reset after the update you could try doing a Factory Data Reset before the update, do the update, and then do a Factory Data Reset.

... Thom

Jelly Bean started being pushed OTA to everyone Wednesday night. I participated in the Jelly Bean soak test. It ran from Monday morning to Wednesday afternoon. My Bionic is un-root-ed. What I observed with JB ...
I have the Screen lock screen set to

OK, so here are my answers to some of these things listed:

I use the pattern lock screen, but if my phone is already open, I am present with no lock screen on a call.

Lapdock - don't have one, good to know. WT version is 3.0.0 in this update.

Mass Storage being back - good.

Smoothness - while a bit smoother, it is also sucking the life out of my batteries hard core.

Improvements - a lot of little incremental improvements all throughout the system.

I did not do a FDR prior to updating, nor post update - however, I was running a slim system after reinstalling from scratch back in February.

If you had 1000 as max CPU speed before, it will nto get bumped up on JB,.

If you already had 1200, it should not get bumped down.

Camera screenshot sound - uninstall and reinstall if you already had it installed previously. Good to know.

FM Radio - the FMRadio service was removed from the build, so it is doubtful that that program will ever work again.

I'll leave out all discussion of root here.
Yeah the FM Radio was bad news. However, there has been some talk that a Spirit radio should work (take that with a bit of skepticism. Some on another forums have reported success, but some are saying things about how it shouldn't work yet)....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DEwOSwiY29tLm1pa2Vyc21pY3Jvcy5mbV91bmxvY2siXQ..

Bit pricey for me at $10, but some may want it.

As for the battery, did you install JB with your SD card in and do you have quite a bit of media files on it? There seems to be the indexing issue that was seen when ICS was released. I installed JB and did an FDR right after, both with my SD card out, and seems like I am getting a bit better battery life, but I did take this oppurtunity to try Nova launcher instead of Go Launcher, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

EDIT: That Spirit FM radio apparently needs someone to have maintained root in JB to work. If not rooted, won't work.

Yeah the FM Radio was bad news. However, there has been some talk that a Spirit radio should work (take that with a bit of skepticism. Some on another forums have reported success, but some are saying things about how it shouldn't work yet)....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wOSwiY29tLm1pa2Vyc21pY3Jvcy5mbV91bmxvY2siXQ..

I just bought it and tried installing it. A message comes up saying it is only supported on the Bionic under JB if you are root-ed. It also says that further JB updates might remove it. They suggest that if you don;t want to root that you stay on ICS.

I then requested a refund.

... Thom

I just bought it and tried installing it. A message comes up saying it is only supported on the Bionic under JB if you are root-ed. It also says that further JB updates might remove it. They suggest that if you don;t want to root that you stay on ICS.

I then requested a refund.

... Thom

Yeah, that's why I added the edit :)

Of course now I am wishing I had waited till now to upgrade since a way has been found to be able to downgrade back to ICS, but I never dreamed that such a thing could be found since it couldn't be done with 246.

After some tinkering it looks like I have zero notification sounds installed now...none.
That's the most glaring issue I have so far.

I've picked up some to use in the mean time, but honestly, WTF Moto?

One of the reasons a reboot (power off/power on) takes the time it does is because it scans all folders looking for media.

If you can't find pictures that you know are there or can't find sound files that you know are there ... reboot. They will probably "magically appear".

... Thom

This is mostly guessing ...

If you were root-ed I would assume you had deleted a program that the update needs.

Since you were never root-ed the only thing that comes to mind is a bad download or some corrupted data.

You could try clearing the cache (see ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/421050-post-your-tips-bionic-here-3.html#post5739212) and the try the update again.

IF (and I repeat IF) you are planning to do a Factory Data Reset after the update you could try doing a Factory Data Reset before the update, do the update, and then do a Factory Data Reset.

... Thom

Tried it again and still no good. Cleared the cache,nothing. I did the Factory Data Reset before the update and downloaded the update and still a no go. Any other ideas? Or should I quit. My Bionic only has another month before I go for an upgrade.

I suggest that you take it to a Verizon retailer and get it replaced. (I am still having fun with my four year old deactivated Droid X.)

... Thom

Well Moto made good on their promise to give us JB on our Bionics, and I appreciate that.

I can see some flaws, but it is still a workable phone.
Now i think I'm ready to drop a custom ROM into this thing to make it work well.

Cache is used to help speed up a system but older cached files can also have a detrimental effect... it isn't a bad idea to clear them from time to time.

Thanks, you were correct. I just wiped the cache on my Bionic and my wife's D4 and everything is fine. Nothing valuable lost, that I can tell.

I dinstalled the update. The FM radio opens but wont launch. I need the radio. I dont get data in mkst places and use it for real radio instead of streaming. does anyone know how to go back.

My dock sceen does notwork either. I dont want to do a Factory rest. I lost too much last time.

As far as going back to ICS it is impossible and the update to JB lost the fm software. The dock not working is a know issue that can only be solved by a factory data reset. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Back
Top Bottom