• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean update terrible, please help!

Jetmerritt

After holding my breath forever in anticipation and craving the bean of freedom and justice and even infinite power on my galaxy note,

Wait for it...

I now want to smash my phone. It is terrible. I've managed to shut enough stuff off to get back my battery life. But project butter turned into project molasses on my SGH-i717d. I am not running Google now, have disabled almost everything I can think of. Still my phone is so laggy compared to the set up on ICS, I miss you, come back!

So now I either sell my note, be brave and get into flashing a different ROM on it and rooting, or destroy it. It's that bad.

I did a factory reset after the initial Kies upgrade to jelly bean, just in case. I thought there was some improvement but when I was crunching stuff out at work today, the lag came back and I am angry!

It's there anything else I can disable? I've done all the Samsung bloat and Google services I don't use and anything else obvious. Some of the stuff if I don't know what it is, I haven't touched those.

Are there any options to go back to ICS now without rooting? I didn't see any in Kies.

Any help?

Help me love my note again please!

Jet

Look at some of the postings here. There are suggestions on how to get the battery life back including a hard reset

Battery life is ok, it's the lag that bugs me.

I noticed I'm way higher on ram usage consistently. I did a second hard reset without the SD card in and without the sim card in and made sure I hit format USB.

It helped the worst of the lag. It is still slower though.

I think the RAM is what's causing the lag. I'm think 1GB is not enough for JB to run smoothly especially with all the functions that Samsung crammed into it. My Note 2 with all it's goodness chews up more than a GB of RAM (~1.5GB).

There is a way of flashing back the stock ROM onto your Note. It doesn't require rooting and because you are going to flash an official stock ROM, it shouldn't trip the flash counter.

However, it depends if there is someone who uploaded the official stock ROM of your device. Best place to look and ask is XDA.

Basically, you need to find the official stock ICS ROM that is specific to your device and carrier. Next you need ODIN. Using ODIN, you would flash the stock ICS back onto the phone.

Good luck.

Root and get rid of the att bloatware I got rid of all that crap and there is such a big difference in performance

Still running stock I disabled all the Samsung cloud stuff and a bunch of other stuff that I could. It is now a lot better. This phone is old enough and I think I am in a good enough financial position that I am going to explore rooting. I didn't want to brick it if I couldn't afford a new one.

I'm tired of all the bloat. I think I'd prefer vanilla android, that would be fine. I don't use Samsung's software anyway.

Anyone know if there is a vanilla android to run on this?

Still running stock I disabled all the Samsung cloud stuff and a bunch of other stuff that I could. It is now a lot better. This phone is old enough and I think I am in a good enough financial position that I am going to explore rooting. I didn't want to brick it if I couldn't afford a new one.

I'm tired of all the bloat. I think I'd prefer vanilla android, that would be fine. I don't use Samsung's software anyway.

Anyone know if there is a vanilla android to run on this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2251333

yeah, noticed a lot more lag with JB installed now...may go back to ICS at some point if it really gets on my nerves.

Ok, I found the best solution. I was going mental and whining about my lagging phone and my wife wanted an excuse to go back to iPhone anyway, so...

I'm upgrading to her note 2. Lag problem solved!

But in all truth, after I disabled all the Samsung account and cloud stuff, things really improved! It's still not ICS, but it is almost bearable. I better save my pennies tho because the wife wants an iPhone 5S or 6 or whatever is coming down the pipe. She is running my old iphone 4 and it is painful.

I am going to try to post a picture of everything I disabled and maybe it will help someone else get an improvement.

Screenshots_2013-05-26-19-27-01.png

Screenshots_2013-05-26-19-27-25.png

Screenshots_2013-05-26-19-27-39.png

Screenshots_2013-05-26-19-27-561.png

Screenshots_2013-05-26-19-28-10.png

Screenshots_2013-05-26-19-28-21.png

I just tried to kill anything I could find that I either wouldn't use or would possibly cause lag. I really have issues with wanting instant gratification. Oh well...

I still get a bit of lag off the lock screen pin entry to the home screen. But the phone is pretty good now. I like some JB features like the new notification stuff.

The lag happens when you install to many apps. Mine took like 10 sec just for the screen to refresh at one point. It's a big downfall of flash storage which is fast until it gets filled up. Once I moved all my apps to SD it was lighting fast again. The fact you cant install apps to SD under JB is a total deal breaker for me.

The lag happens when you install to many apps. Mine took like 10 sec just for the screen to refresh at one point. It's a big downfall of flash storage which is fast until it gets filled up. Once I moved all my apps to SD it was lighting fast again. The fact you cant install apps to SD under JB is a total deal breaker for me.

I remember on ICS you could move apps to SD. I didn't notice that feature was gone. Good information though. Thanks.

the past 3 times i needed my phone in a jam...GPS and searches..the lag was enraging. Fugg JB on the Note..i'm going to ICS. It's ridiculous

Well, that's it. You all have convinced me. Ima gonna root this puppy whether Telus likes it or not. First I read. And read and read and read, until I fully understand what I am doing. Then I root the poop out this thing!

Excelsior!

I just switched over to the Note II. :D

Way different beast! This thing has ZERO lag. What the Note should have been from the start. And my fave new feature... led indicator!

I'm going to try to sell my N1. The next owner can deal with the lag!;)

I'm glad my wife wanted to go back to iphone. She went back to my old iPhone 4 (for now... I owe her a 5S or whatever the second it comes out.) Poor woman. Same issue on the iPhone as the Note. Too much new software and SLOW. My boss' iPhone 4, his is plumb full and barely runs at all, to search a contact takes like 15 seconds.:p

If I were going to try to fix my Note I would look for a factory telus ICS ROM. Hopefully there is one out there.

Good luck...

One thing I read about switching to vanilla android is that you would lose the the driver for the S-pen function. Look into that if anyone is going to try going the plain Jane route.

Thanks jetmerritt. I just disabled those you showed above. We'll see if it makes a difference. My biggest complaint is the battery drain. I had the original Gingerbread OS and my battery would last 2 days before I had to recharge.

NOTE: Several hours later on standby it's at 75%. Yesterday with all of the apps enabled, it was 40%. Big difference and I'm happy. yes, the lag bothers me but now I have my battery performance back, i'm good :).

Believe it or not, I only just this afternoon finally decided I had studied enough and went ahead and did it. To my horror it didn't work! Well, I should say that the phone worked just like it always did, but it clearly wasn't rooted. Fortunately, I had obsessed over the whole business for so long that I actually had just enough understanding -- theoretically mind you -- to first identify the problem and then -- unbelievably -- to fix it. It turned out the super user file recommended in the "All Things Root" area was a dud, so I hunted down a good one and all is sunshine and roses.

Now I go about dumping the excess tonnage of steaming bloatware. Then I will start monkeying around with ROMs, of course after again obsessing it for a ridiculous length of time. :D I don't feel guilty or anything really. It was Telus's fault for pushing out such a goat of an upgrade. I took the otterbox off for the first time in 6 months and ya know what? It looks brand new. Hopefully I will get it to run as good as it looks.

Excelsior!

So...

I put my note up for sale. Didn't get any bites for quite a while. Some kid offered to trade me a set of Beats Pro, I took them. I would never buy a set for myself, but I decided they would be fun to trade for. So the Note is gone!

Enjoying the Note 2, it's what the Note 1 should have been. I'm going to have a big bill when the new iphone comes out, the wife will be getting it now that I have taken over her Note 2.

Congrats on rooting TrueNorthist, I was getting to that point, but chickened out.

BTW the Beats are amazing, never heard headphones that good.

I have two i717's that I've used on prepaid T-Mobile, one came to me on ICS and the newer one on JB. There's a few keyboard changes I don't like (delete after a swype'd word deletes the entire word instead of the last letter, overall the keyboard does seem more accurate though a bit smaller) but the JB one is smoother and seems to have better battery life on LTE than the other did on T-Mobile 1900 (Chicago, LTE is finally covering most of the city). I factory reset both when I got them. I also disabled 37 apps on the JB Note. Bleh.

I have two i717's that I've used on prepaid T-Mobile, one came to me on ICS and the newer one on JB. There's a few keyboard changes I don't like (delete after a swype'd word deletes the entire word instead of the last letter, overall the keyboard does seem more accurate though a bit smaller) but the JB one is smoother and seems to have better battery life on LTE than the other did on T-Mobile 1900 (Chicago, LTE is finally covering most of the city). I factory reset both when I got them. I also disabled 37 apps on the JB Note. Bleh.

Are you on the stock ROM (I know you are rooted) and deleted apps? Have you tried any of the custom (stock debloated) ROMs?

Back
Top Bottom