• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Juice Defender?

portezbie

Android Enthusiast
I am really liking the moto triumph but haven't been thrilled with the battery life. Do you guys think juice defender is worth it, specifically with this phone?

i use it and i give me and extra 2 or so hours... and i have a bunch of widgets running that use the internet! so yea it works pretty good with this phone :D

I use the free version. I'm a relatively light user most of the time. (I'm at a laptop at work all day so my phone basically stays in my pocket) I still have a few apps and widgets that sync with the network, and JuiceDefender seems to increase my battery life by 75-85% I have had a couple issues with wireless connectivity and it turning off data when the screen turns off while I'm trying to download things, but I still like it overall, and keep it on 95% of the time.

EDIT: a nice thing about JuiceDefender is that it doesn't require root. (I'm not rooting until CM7 is ready, personally) because of that, this thread probably shouldn't be in the root section.

I am liking juice defender so far, def seems to be improving battery life. I noticed the app recommends two other apps, autorun manager and autokiller, are those good as well?

Im planning to use this app aswell but i just want to share something with you guys. I overclocked my phone using umph kernel and used smartass governor in setcpu running 1700mhz 122mhz min. 10hrs with 3g, wifi, gps and brightness off my phone was at 75% so if your looking for something to save battery life this might help. Thats why i want to try out juice defender maybe i could set it to close 3g auto once my phone goes to sleep mode.

I get good results with JuiceDefender. I'll gain at minimum 1 hour of usage. It is smart about when to disable network data and wifi. Phone is fast enough that it doesn't matter much re-enabling the systems once you power it on. Overall I recommend this product. It doesn't hurt to try it. Rooting is not required. But once you root, it has more power savings potential. Good stuff :)

Yeah, I've got the ultimate version of Juice Defender, and with some tweaking, I'm getting a full day out of the battery. It's a good investment.

Im planning to use this app aswell but i just want to share something with you guys. I overclocked my phone using umph kernel and used smartass governor in setcpu running 1700mhz 122mhz min. 10hrs with 3g, wifi, gps and brightness off my phone was at 75% so if your looking for something to save battery life this might help. Thats why i want to try out juice defender maybe i could set it to close 3g auto once my phone goes to sleep mode.

Stop overclocking, that will help with your battery

Stop overclocking, that will help with your battery
Oddly enough my battery life seems to be better with my phone overclocked to 1.6ghz, and when I leave wifi on all the time. I have had days where I have taken my phone off the charger, at 7am, and still had 50% battery life at 12am. Though the majority of the time, I have about 30% by the time I go to bed. As I stated before, I use juice defender, and it helps greatly.

Juice defender rocks. I have the Ultimate version, I went from getting at most 5 hrs battery life to 14-16hrs of light use and 8-10 of heavy use( wifi, gaming, web browsing, etc). Even got 20 hrs one day when I forgot the phone and it just sat there all day doing nothing.

There's a myth that cutting CPU speed actually saves joules. It doesn't necessarily. You have to look at how many joules of energy it takes to do task "X", not the cpu speed.

Depending on the architecture it can actually be more conservative in terms of power use to get it done fast and then go to sleep than to get it done more-slowly at a lower clockrate. The reason is that there is a quite large power overhead in the CPU that is not clock or instruction-sensitive - that is, the power is simply drawn to do things like power the line drivers on the pins and other internal circuitry.

There's a myth that cutting CPU speed actually saves joules. It doesn't necessarily. You have to look at how many joules of energy it takes to do task "X", not the cpu speed.

Depending on the architecture it can actually be more conservative in terms of power use to get it done fast and then go to sleep than to get it done more-slowly at a lower clockrate. The reason is that there is a quite large power overhead in the CPU that is not clock or instruction-sensitive - that is, the power is simply drawn to do things like power the line drivers on the pins and other internal circuitry.

LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux

Race to Idle

Current processors are quite good about saving power when idle; so much so that many show a behavior around power saving that surprises many people.

This behavior, called race-to-idle, is best explained with a simplified example:

Lets take a typical commercially available processor that consumes 34 Watts when running at full speed, and 24 Watts when running at half speed and 1 Watts when idle (using frequency and voltage scaling using P-states).

On this processor, we're decoding one second of a MP3 file or some HDTV media every second. This decoding takes 0.5 seconds at half speed, and, consequently, 0.25 seconds at full speed.

The energy consumption for one second is

Half speed: 0.5s * 24W + 0.5s * 1W = 12.5 Joules
Full speed: 0.25s * 34W + 0.75s * 1W = 9.25 Joules
Even though the above example is simplified from reality, the same paradigm tends to hold for real systems: It's generally better to run as fast as you can so that you can be idle longer.

I hear that all the time and yet when I don't use mine i run my ram through the roof and the phones runs like Sh*t... WTF why does half the population say they're crap and the other half swears by them?
Did you read the full article that I wrote (I linked it, it explains a lot)? Or did you just read my reply and assumed you knew more than I do?

I got into android development for the sole purpose of writing my own task killer because I thought it would help. However, after learning how the system manages itself I found that using a task killer wouldn't actually help the system so I never wrote one. Instead I wrote some other apps that I've distributed via the android market.

It is my opinion that people who swear by task killers are victims of power of suggestion.

Did you read the full article that I wrote (I linked it, it explains a lot)? Or did you just read my reply and assumed you knew more than I do?

I got into android development for the sole purpose of writing my own task killer because I thought it would help. However, after learning how the system manages itself I found that using a task killer wouldn't actually help the system so I never wrote one. Instead I wrote some other apps that I've distributed via the android market.

It is my opinion that people who swear by task killers are victims of power of suggestion.

First off I never assumed I knew more than you

I Actually read your article and have read articles like it numerous times before. I entirely believe what you're saying I just feel that not every dev codes their work efficiently and sometimes those inefficiencies lead to apps that are like cancer on my phone, I may be wrong but I have also read that this is an entirely possible scenario.

You can use an app like watchdog to see what apps might be coded badly and are taxing your system. Install it for a week and you will see if you have any "rogue" apps.

System Panel. One of the few apps that I think is worth paying for. It will tell you what's running and how much memory and CPU each is consuming, and will give you both "snapshot" and also over-time totals for CPU consumption. You'll usually find when your phone gets to be ill-behaved that SOMETHING is acquiring memory and not releasing it (ever) or is locked in a CPU loop, and that's where the problem is. The quick solution is to kill that task, the better one is to unload the misbehaving application.

The quick solution is to kill that task, the better one is to unload the misbehaving application. (emphasis mine)
The app you mentioned sounds very similar to what I am doing with watchdog. I don't run a task killer, and having monitored the usage, I have zero apps that use up too many resources and need to be killed (I run somewhere around 85 apps on my phone). I manually turn off my wifi/3g/all that other stuff when not using it and have sync/updates set for every 30 min when they are on. I can go about 10-12 hours without needing to charge when I use my phone quite a bit, it lasts much longer when I am not using it much.

The Triumph's biggest draws are the screen, the radio and, if you have it on, bluetooth.

The screen you can't do anything about other than not using any more brightness than you need.

Back
Top Bottom