• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Just Got the Rezound...

You're doing alright so far. You can try bump charging it two or three times. Everyone reports different battery life. some report getting 10, or more hours, but I think the majority don't get very good battery life. It might last 8 hours if you're not using it very heavily.

It will depend on your usage. Even if you're not a heavy user, with even moderate use, you may not make it through a whole work day. If you aren't able to put it on a charger frequently and need your battery to last you through the day without charging, you'll probably need an extended battery. If you can put it on a charger at home, in your car and at work, you'll be okay with the standard battery.

The Rezound, as most other new smart phones, has advanced beyond the ability of current battery technology to provide a charge that will last 12 to 18 hours with a standard battery. Also, HTC is known for using under powered batteries in their phones. My Thunderbolt had the same problem. It had a 1400mAh battery. That still amazes me. The Rezound has a 1620mAh battery which is still too small, considering the Rezound's spec's.

You can extend it by doing things like turning down the screen brightness to 25 or 30%, turn of auto syncing, turn off GPS if you're not using it, turn off the Mobile network, WiFi and the hotspot when you're not using them. All of those things eat your battery and can easily be turned on as you need them. Some people also turn of Bluetooth, but mine only uses 1% of the battery, so I just leave it on.

Not trying to discourage you because the Rezound is a great phone, but be prepared for less than stellar battery life.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
Alright, thank you. What is "bump charging"? I'm new to android and smartphones. Well, I'm in High School so I can't use a charger while at school. But I will turn my phone off during the night and turn it back on before school. School is ~7hours. As long as it makes it through that, I should be fine. How much is the extended battery and how much bigger does it make it?

Upvote 0
Alright, thank you. What is "bump charging"? I'm new to android and smartphones. Well, I'm in High School so I can't use a charger while at school. But I will turn my phone off during the night and turn it back on before school. School is ~7hours. As long as it makes it through that, I should be fine. How much is the extended battery and how much bigger does it make it?

Here's a good link with some good info about your battery in general and near the bottom, a good explanation about bump charging. Easier than trying to explain it.

Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing) - xda-developers

The extended battery is 2750mAh. Not quite double the standard, but gives you a lot more time. Some people hate the look of the extra bulk and weight and others like the added thickness because it gives you a better grip on your phone. I'm one of those that likes it and since it adds less than an ounce to the weight, that doesn't really bother me either. The look doesn't bother me because I'd rather have the extra battery time than worry about what it looks like. If you can, go by a Verizon store and ask if you can see what your phone looks like with the extended battery. Pictures just don't give an accurate depiction. I'd also recommend trying to get through the school day on the standard battery first. If it works okay, you can save the money on the extended. I believe the normal price is $45.00 for the extended battery and cover, but they have been on sale lately. They probably won't volunteer the info, so ask them about it.

If you text a lot, just keep an eye on your battery to see how much it's affecting it. If you email, leaving the auto sync on will use up your battery checking for email all of the time, so I still recommend turning of the auto sync and just checking manually. You will probably have to turn off auto sync in settings/Accounts & sync and uncheck auto-sync. You will also probably have to go into your email program settings and turn it off there also.

Also, streaming music and videos will eat it up in a hurry because you're using 4G and the hotspot.

Upvote 0
I keep thinking of things, so I'll add them as I think of them. If you use your phone to surf and can't plug it in, I use 3G for general surfing and switch to 4G if I want to download something, or stream music, or videos. Settings/Wireless and networks/Mobile networks/Network mode. Set it to CDMA only for just 3G. LTE/CDMA will switch you back and forth, but uses your battery up looking for 4G connections.
Also, I recommend downloading LTE on/off, or LTE switch from the market. They do the same thing, give you more options and are faster than going into the settings each time. I seldom use LTE/CDMA because my phone usually connects me with 3G most of the time, even when I have 4G available, just because the 3G signal is stronger. I use CDMA only for 3G and switch to LTE mode (w/voice) for 4G. If you aren't in a 4G area, it will go to 1x and you can switch back to CDMA only.

Upvote 0
Get a Ghostbusters style back-pack and modify it for cell phone use....

DanAckroydGhostbusters100710-thumb-550x317-48925.jpg

Upvote 0
I turn off data when I'm not using my phone, but don't use airplane mode, meaning my phone still has the signal to get calls and texts. I've gone 5 hours and only gone from 100% to 96% on two occasions. Today, I was working off the "beaten path" (no 4G) and kept data off, done some texting, took some pictures, and 7 hours later I was at 80%, not bad in my book.

Upvote 0
I just sold my rezound for this very reason. Loved the phone,,,,,battery life was frustrating when traveling. Switched to the razr maxx. 38 hours with moderate use and still have 40% battery! And that is with nothing turned off. 4 g, live wallpaper, auto sync, screen at auto brightness, 4 email accounts, etc. An amazing phone. I wish HTC could match their battery life. I do miss sense a bit, but go launcher has solved that.

Upvote 0
Well you can always do what a lot of us rezound users do. Carry a spare battery. Get on Amazon and search htc rezound battery. Look at the laza wireless batteries. $20 for two batteries and a standalone charger. I ordered them and love them. It does take them a while to charge when dead but having 3 batteries to swap rocks. I only carry one extra battery during the day and it fits nicely in the coin pocket of my jeans. I highly recommend this method bc it allows you to keep standard case on the phone.

Upvote 0
I got my spare Rezound battery already but haven't had to swap it out just yet. Anyways with my old phone i kept it in the coin pocket of my jeans too. One time it took me three tries before i could pass the airport security... lol i didn't remember it was there until they too gave up and used the wand-stick thing on me ha ha:eek:

They used a wand-stick thing on you? Dare I ask?!?!
smiley-sex011.gif

Upvote 0
I got stuck from security at the airport once too. I had a jar of homemade jam I was taking with my to visit my dad, and the security lady took it from me. I think she may have eaten it. :(

Would you-all recommend a spare battery or an extended battery? I'm in High School but my phone lasted me throughout the day, and charging it now. :)

Another question I was wondering was (sorry for being a super noob, this is my first Android) how do I add a custom ROM onto my Rezound? I'm looking to put Senseless ICS by Scott on it. I'm confused on what I have to do. :eek:

Edit: I just unlocked my bootloader from HTCDev.com.

Upvote 0
I got stuck from security at the airport once too. I had a jar of homemade jam I was taking with my to visit my dad, and the security lady took it from me. I think she may have eaten it. :(

Would you-all recommend a spare battery or an extended battery? I'm in High School but my phone lasted me throughout the day, and charging it now. :)

Another question I was wondering was (sorry for being a super noob, this is my first Android) how do I add a custom ROM onto my Rezound? I'm looking to put Senseless ICS by Scott on it. I'm confused on what I have to do. :eek:

Edit: I just unlocked my bootloader from HTCDev.com.

What percentage did your battery show before you put it on the charger? If the standard battery got you through the day, it was your typical usage and you weren't too close to a complete discharge, you probably don't need the extended battery. If you want, you could get another standard battery, It never hurts to have a spare.

Can't be much help with the rest since I don't root.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just got the Rezound the other day and I was wondering what I can do to improve my battery. I let the battery die today then charged it till the light was green and haven't turned it on for a few hours. What should I do to make sure the battery will be the best it can be? Thanks. :D
im on my second rezound. the first one had fantastic battery life.
this one not so much. i do all the right things and im lucky to get 8

Upvote 0
My phone does last me throughout the school day, but ends the day at 9-20%. I can stare at the battery for 10mins and watch it drop down. I have a 3.8v battery so maybe this is the issue since people with 3.7v don't get the same issues as I do.

Some issues I have is the battery will NOT charge to 100%. It is only charging to 86-92%. I'm not sure if this is from CleanROM ICS but I don't think it is.

So, how much battery life does everyone get in a days use? What is your battery (3.7v or 3.8v)? And how do you use your phone?

Depending on what everyone else gets, I may take the battery back to Best Buy and ask for a 3.7v battery. :)

Thanks for the help everybody.

Upvote 0
That might not be a bad poll. I hadn't thought about it before, but I got my Rezound from Verizon and it's 3.7volts as is my extended battery. I wonder if the different voltage batteries are coming from different stores. I still can't wrap my head around .1volt making that much difference. Over 1volt I can understand, but .1volt?

Anyway, since you're rooted and using a rom, I believe it can make a difference, but since I don't root, I can't really say. I'm going to guess that it will depend on the rom and that some use more battery than others and that sometimes you give up something to gain something else. I'm not sure why it won't charge over 92% though. I would think that has more to do with the battery than the rom. I hope someone who knows more will pop in and educate both of us, but I'd think about getting a replacement battery. Mine charges to 100%, but quickly drops to 98% when unplugged, which is normal.

If you're getting through school on the standard battery, I'd say you're doing okay, but it sounds like you're sometimes cutting it pretty close. Have you gone to Verizon to check out the difference in the Rezound with and without an extended battery? I and others like it, others have just the opposite reaction, so just wondering if you've checked it out. It would definitely eliminate any worry about making through the day.

Upvote 0
Well, Scott (maker of the ROM) doesn't have this problem and he has a 3.7v battery, so I don't think it's the ROM.

Maybe a poll or a whole new topic would be a good idea, I just didn't want to make another topic while this one was still on the front page.

I've seen pictures of the extended battery a do not like how the back cover is. I like how the stock cover is nice and a bit rounded while the extended battery has extra lumps. :( (That's what I assume from the pictures)

Also, how do I make my phone vibrate when I receive texts? I have the Volume profile set to vibrate but for some reason it just won't vibrate. Is this from the ROM or am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
I still recommend looking at and handling a Rezound with an extended battery. You just can't get an accurate idea of how you will like it from the pictures. There was the same problem with the Thunderbolt. A lot of people made comments about how terrible it looked, but never actually saw one outside of a picture. I have to say that the Rezound with extended battery looks better than the TBolt, but I'm not swayed by looks. I like the added weight, but it's under 1 oz, so not a huge difference. I also like the way it feels in my hand and the added grip it gives me. Just a suggestion.

On to the next question. Like I said, I'm not that familiar with rooting, so I can only tell you the stock settings, but maybe they will give you an idea. In the stock settings, if you have Vibrate checked in the Settings/Sound settings, then in the stock messaging app, you open it then tap menu/Settings/Notifications, then scroll down to Vibrate to see if it's checked.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
You Sir, are my hero. I've literally never used the tap menu button (or search button for that matter, I don't even know what it does, haha) so I didn't even bother to check it! Thank you so much!

Also, I don't know anyone else who has the Rezound. So how can I get the feel of the extended battery? It looks to me like the back of the Droid Incredible 2 which my friend has, and I don't really like the feel of it. :( I also don't really have an extra $50 laying around that I can spend as I am only 15. So, that sucks. But I can always work for money or something.

Thanks for helping me out by the way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones