• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

KaysCase Google Nexus 7 Case - Back Case or Leather Case

I saw a lot of case sellers are lining up their products for pre-order on Amazon, like this one:

KaysCase Google Nexus 7 Family on Amazon

I haven't made up my mind yet on whether I should get a back case, or a leather case for full coverage.

Thoughts?
The only issue that I could see with the full case is that the flap for the screen would get annoying. The tpu back cases look really good though. Maybe Asus will produce an OEM tpu shell with Nexus branding on it. I would definitely get that.

Upvote 0
The only issue that I could see with the full case is that the flap for the screen would get annoying. The tpu back cases look really good though. Maybe Asus will produce an OEM tpu shell with Nexus branding on it. I would definitely get that.

Not certain whether or not Asus will, but supposedly CruzerLite is already in the process of making some TPU cases, remember the cute ones for the GNex with Andy on them? :D

Upvote 0
I saw a lot of case sellers are lining up their products for pre-order on Amazon, like this one:

I haven't made up my mind yet on whether I should get a back case, or a leather case for full coverage.

Thoughts?

I like that case a lot, but it made me go looking for something similar by rooCASE. I've had one of their folding leather cases for my Iconia A500 for about a year now and I've loved the outstanding build quality and how it had worn like iron in that time.
Amazon.com: rooCASE Dual-View Multi Angle (Black) Leather Folio Case Cover for Google Nexus 7 Tablet: Electronics
The rooCASE isn't available until later this month, but I went ahead and pre-ordered mine with confidence just the same.

Thanks for getting me doing something about this a little ahead of time! :D

Upvote 0
I wish someone would put together a line of cases that look like Apple's Smart Covers. I don't need any substantial protection on the back of the device. Give me some kind of thin sturdy frame to snap onto the tablet mounted to an equivalent to the Smart Cover to protect the glass and make it easier to carry, and I'd pay a bunch of money for it.

Are you listening, tablet accessory makers? A BUNCH OF MONEY. My kingdom for a Smart Cover ripoff!

Upvote 0
I wish someone would put together a line of cases that look like Apple's Smart Covers. I don't need any substantial protection on the back of the device. Give me some kind of thin sturdy frame to snap onto the tablet mounted to an equivalent to the Smart Cover to protect the glass and make it easier to carry, and I'd pay a bunch of money for it.

Are you listening, tablet accessory makers? A BUNCH OF MONEY. My kingdom for a Smart Cover ripoff!

Haha, in order for the smart cover to work, you need to have a magnet inside the tablet. I'm not sure if Nexus 7 has that. That being said, you think Apple didn't patent the smart covers?

Upvote 0
Haha, in order for the smart cover to work, you need to have a magnet inside the tablet. I'm not sure if Nexus 7 has that. That being said, you think Apple didn't patent the smart covers?

As with everything from Apple, the smart cover was stolen, all they did was use magnets:
Apple iPad 2 Smart Cover vs. InCase Convertible Magazine Jacket... Fight! -- Engadget

and

Did Apple Just ‘Borrow’ The Smart Cover Idea From Incase? | Technologer
The Smart Cover: Another Apple Non-Innovation | John C. Bland II

It's just infuriating, they see an idea, steal it, make extremely minor changes if at all, then go and patent it.:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/149622/apple-wins-smart-cover-time-machine-patents

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0

That's why I stated you need a frame to fit on the device itself.

The InCase is decent, but really all you need is a thin frame to snap around the tablet, basically just a bevel, to provide a mounting point for the cover. I don't need a back case at all.

If someone would machine a quality aluminum frame - or even plastic, if it's done nicely - I would absolutely pay Apple's semi-ridiculous $50-60 for it.

I'm sure there's a way to build such a case while avoiding Apple's patent. It doesn't have to be done with magnets.

Upvote 0

Thoughts?

I ordered mine today in black and used the discount code to get 40% off. Only cost me a little over $10 with shipping. Worth a shot in my mind.

Upvote 0
If you click the link and you're looking at a kayscase product on amazon, you'll see that they advertise 40% off on all their products right now. Scroll down the amazon product page to the box where they detail the promotion. There will be a coupon code in plain text on the product Page. I didn't see it right away, but I wasn't looking in the right place.

Upvote 0
It's just infuriating, they see an idea, steal it, make extremely minor changes if at all, then go and patent it.:
Apple wins Smart Cover, Time Machine patents

Big time frustration. That just sounds like a version control system, which I do all the time, with a gui. And it's not like apple invented the concept of time machine. I remember doing stuff similar to this with enterprise NAS stuff in the 90's, and writing scripts do to the same with rsync in the early 2000's for my linux machines.

Upvote 0
I got the case from KaysCase that folds open and the cover can be used to prop up the device a couple different ways. I will link to it when I get the chance.

Not sure if they're doing this with all of there cases that they sold at launch, but I received a stick-on magnet with a small sheet of instructions for placement. I also received an email from KaysCase just before my case arrived, explaining how I should discard the magnet, since it was not thoroughly tested and has been found to not work. Kind of janky in my opinion.

Also, I will say that I am not impressed with the product at all. Yes, it is a ten dollar case, but the folding cover function does not work as pictured on the product page because of a folding seam that cripples the stand when you attempt to set it up. I will provide a picture.

This is a picture from the Amazon product page:
47ee5fc5-89e4-bc1a.jpg

Reality:
47ee5fc5-8c7a-5a80.jpg

EDIT: I suppose you can see the seam in the Amazon picture picture also, but there is physically no way to get the device to stand up as pictured. The weight of the Nexus 7 buckles the case at that crease. Bummed.

With that said, the upright orientation works fine, as the crease does not affect this setup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones