• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep screen dim mannually, #1 for low power consumption

djdillpickle

Apr 13, 2011
Auto adjust fails to attenuate the brightness consistently.

I can be using my DHD for entire movie lengths in pitch black conditions aside from the TV and the DHD refuses to dim the screen appropriately.

Would just like to preach the wonders of manual screen brightness. Keeping it as low as practical manually has a big difference.

I know its been said before but it's worth its own topic, IMO.

I find the auto brightness to be largely ok, certainly preferable to always using manual and constantly having to change the setting, but agree that it doesn't go dim enough under dark conditions. I'm surprised that no one has developed an app to allow the profile of the light sensor versus display brightness to be changed by users

Upvote 0
I wonder whether a toggle could be set up in Tasker, via a homescreen widget, that would toggle between different levels of brightness (e.g. I never use the highest brightness setting, so perhaps 10%, 20%, 30% and 50%).

Might look into that.

Maxy

Edit: actually I haave a vague recollection of someone else doing this, so not my idea.

Upvote 0
I wonder whether a toggle could be set up in Tasker, via a homescreen widget, that would toggle between different levels of brightness (e.g. I never use the highest brightness setting, so perhaps 10%, 20%, 30% and 50%).

Might look into that.

Maxy

Edit: actually I haave a vague recollection of someone else doing this, so not my idea.

For 70p (ish), you can get Extended Controls, that'll do the job.

Aside from the brightness controls, it's a really handy app anyway. :)

Upvote 0
For 70p (ish), you can get Extended Controls, that'll do the job.

Aside from the brightness controls, it's a really handy app anyway. :)

I concur with El P Extended Controls is a wonderful app with various options to customise what each toggle does and how the widget looks as a whole. It has also had all the toggles updated to work with GB. </p>
Here is what is included

As we know Android provides a widget that allows you to enable or disable these settings: WiFi,Bluetooth,GPS,Sync,Brightness.Don

Upvote 0

Might look into that.

Maxy

I have Tasker to turn on Screen Filter at a certain time. I also have it turn on during some games since I really don't need full brightness then. I also use Widgetsoid to make a notification toggle (so I don't have to put it on my homescreen).

If you need help with it in Tasker, let me know. It's actually really easy, though.

Tim

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones