• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keypurr Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks "keypurrtech", it's actually a tab to the next field I'd REALLY would like.

Jassiette
To program a phrase into a programmable key go to:
Home/Settings/Language & Keyboard/Keypurr Keyboard (Keypurr Keyboard settings)
Then tap the "Function key definitions" about midway down.
Within this you have 12 keys you can program.
Each key has an "Action Type" and an "Output Text" that needs an entry.
To save a text string:
Under "Action Type" select "Output Text"
then tap the key's "Output Text" and enter the text to save.
Voila!

Thank you very much but that wasn't what I wanted to know at all. What I wanted to know how to do is to program a 'word' (not a phrase) that when I type it normally does not come out as the word I really want and therefore I have to go to a lot of trouble to get the word right, when if it was programmed in I would be able to get it easily.

Also I wanted the link to how I could get the instructions for doing this.

I see the Keypurrtech thinks you answered my questions and has blown me off now.

:(

Also...it is JaZZiette and not JaSSiette!

:( :(

Upvote 0
billgeo,

Thanks for the good explanation on programming the function keys. We'll look into implementing "tab to the next field" in the function keys. :)

You know...I am ONLY using this keyboard now. I don't even have access to my stock keyboard as I have uninstalled it.

So....it really is important when I ask these questions.

The poster who attempted to answer my questions did NOT answer them at all. I am still trying to determine if I can use this well enough to completely depend on it and this is going to determine if I buy the paid for version.

If I seem a bit annoyed it is only because I am having a tough time trying to do some things with it and my question was answered not by you, but by someone who didn't obviously read it. I also asked for the link again to the instructions and didn't get it.

This was my original question:

Jazziette said:
I still don't really understand the function keys or how to 'save' a word I use frequently, etc. Can you please provide the link again with the instructions?

Thank you in advance. This is the only keyboard I am using now.

Upvote 0
Hey Jazziette!

I'm sure Keypurrtech would answer you but just in case he's busy, and you sound like you need an answer quick, so let me try.

Link: Frequently asked questions and answers

After you type the word the first time and it appears as the first word in black on the list, long press on that until it says "saved" (takes a couple of seconds).

That's it! Next time you type that word, it'll be there in the dictionary.

Btw everyone should check the tips and tricks and faq pages on the Keypurr website. Lots of good instructions there. The videos page also has... um... videos. :)

Thank you, Ikanos!!! That's just exactly what I was wanting to know how to do!!!

Sorry if I came across as annoyed. It's just that I am trying to give Keypurr the best chance I can and in this process I have uninstalled ALL other keyboards (including stock). So, it's very difficult for me to do certain things when I can't get the right word to come up. I know you understand what I'm talking about.

I'm willing to work with this application because it is really amazing to me how much easier it is than the other keyboards I have used. But there are some words it just doesn't get and I wanted to put them in the dictionary and had forgotten how.

Thanks again so much! :)

Upvote 0
Sorry for not getting back to you directly, Jazziette. I was busy and I obviously misunderstood your question. I'm glad you got the explanation you needed from Ikanos.

Just to recap, to add a word to the dictionary, type it out exactly as you want to save it and long press the desired word from the candidate strip until the word "saved" pops up. To program the function keys, follow the directions posted by billgeo.

For answers to these and other questions visit:
Frequently asked questions and answers
Tips & Tricks

Thanks for answering. Most of the time I do great with Keypurr, without having anything programmed. But once in a while I run up against a problem word. Like yesterday I was hunting for an app in the Market and I couldn't get it to type the word to save my life. LOL

So now I know how to save it. Thanks very much and thanks for the link as well.

:)

Upvote 0
Hi couple of quick request (well one that hasn't been covered)

Are you planning on having a "click" when a key is tapped? I find vibrate a bt annoying (on all keybords) but like having something tell me i've typed the letter ok.. (pref a click that doesn't sound if the phone is in silent....

Also any idea when the HTC word editing will be about?

Many thanks for the great keyboard though :)

Upvote 0
Can someone please explain how to enter cryptic text such as a complex password? I don't want keypurr to memorize these words, I just want to be able to swipe appropriately and enter the text.

I always get frustrated doing this in keypurr and that's when I switch back to swype.

thanks ...

Upvote 0
Just want to second the suggestion made by another poster that in future releases there is some way to identify what we've stored with each function key. It's unlikely anyone is going to remember what they have designated to 12 different keys.

I would probably save a bunch of phrases up there, but I know there is no way I'll remember which F key there are on when I need them.

Upvote 0
Hi. I have noticed a couple of glitches while using Keypurr and I just wanted to mention them. I've noticed that sometimes the word prediction turns off and I'm forced to flick to spell anything. This is usually when I'm in a search field within an app. Another bug I've seen is when I am using it in Documents To Go. In that app, the auto-capitalization at the first of a sentence never works. It's not a huge deal, but I was wondering if you could look into it. Also I'm using an HTC Evo and am patiently waiting for the custom dictionary to be available.

I must say, though, that I purchased Keypurr as a Christmas present to myself and really love it. I have tried a lot of different keyboards and yours is the best. I used to use TouchPal on Windows Mobile and then again on Android, but Keypurr is much better. Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
Great keyboard!! I kept getting annoyed when i kept pushing the wrong key with the stock keyboard. So I tried Keypurr and the prediction typing is amazing. Although, sometimes it predicts the wrong word but I just add it to the dictionary and it works out fine.

I also tried Better Keyboard but the thing that sold me with Keypurr was the cursor keys and the function keys. Keep up the good work devs.

Upvote 0
Can someone please explain how to enter cryptic text such as a complex password? I don't want keypurr to memorize these words, I just want to be able to swipe appropriately and enter the text.

I always get frustrated doing this in keypurr and that's when I switch back to swype.

thanks ...
I've programmed the function keys with most of my password. Hitting the function key and then typing the last few characters has worked great. Best of both - complex passwords that I can enter quickly.

Reactions: jae_63
Upvote 0

thanks ...

Same here. When I enter a company name in a field, keypurr 'corrects' it to something not even close to correct. How can I avoid the correction feature when entering a word that is not a real word but an odd name for a company.

Keypurr is great with email, etc but is hard (at least for me) with fields with street names , etc. You can beat the system somewhat by entering a letter (or two) then when the correction is wrong, hit space then back and start entering letters again.

Scott

Upvote 0
I've encountered several occasions where the Keypurr keyboard remains on the lower half of the screen when I'm trying to use voice input. When this happens, none of the text entered by voice is actually input.

I wish there was a simple way to temporarily disable predictive text which would make entry of certain words/non-words much easier. And a way to pull down the keyboard instead of pressing the back button. Sometimes you only want to be able to see on the screen what the keyboard is hiding - a quick pull down / pull up of the keyboard would allow that.

Upvote 0
Another handy tip, if you use unusual compound words, just enter the first part, hit backspace, and then enter the second part.

For example, I'm lunameow here and nearly everywhere online, but on Twitter I'm ladylunameow... since I almost never need to type it, I didn't bother to save it in the dictionary, but for those rare occasions when I do, I type it as lady, hit space and backspace, and then luna (lunameow is saved, so it autocompletes). Also works well when I need to type the name of the company I work for (Appletree = apple + tree).

Upvote 0
Steelersmb,

This is the first report we've received of the issue you're experiencing. Can you please give us some more info about the circumstances you're seeing this happen. What phone are you using? What apps does it happen in? Does it occur in portrait or landscape mode?

Thanks!

I have an EVO running a custom ROM. It seems to happen within different programs. When I reboot, everything works fine. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't fix it. It is in portrait mode, haven't tried in landscape.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
What exactly do you see on the screen when this happens? Is the candidate strip visible and if so, what do you see in the candidate strip? Is there a specific app you you can tell us it's happening in? The reason I ask is because we need to reproduce the issue to properly understand it.

Thanks!

I see the strip there but the only thing that shows up are the keys that I am typing. The suggested words do not show up. As I mentioned, it happens in multiple apps when it starts happening. I will try to notice next time it happens if it starts in one application.

Upvote 0
Same here. When I enter a company name in a field, keypurr 'corrects' it to something not even close to correct. How can I avoid the correction feature when entering a word that is not a real word but an odd name for a company.

Keypurr is great with email, etc but is hard (at least for me) with fields with street names , etc. You can beat the system somewhat by entering a letter (or two) then when the correction is wrong, hit space then back and start entering letters again.

Scott
R1.jpg

I have the same issues ):

Upvote 0
I've been playing with it for a few days and for the most part I'm beginning to prefer it. I am still having issues when the dictionary is not involved such as passwords or proper nouns. I hope practice will smooth that out.

One suggestion would be to add a feature which SwiftKey has. Instead of deleting a word by touching backspace and sliding up (which is very iffy for me), I would love to see that action happen by making a big swipe right to left across the keyboard. It's a very natural action and requires no precision. It also makes deleting multiple words much quicker.

Upvote 0
Steelersmb,

There's something you can try that should work as a temporary fix. Next time it occurs try switching input methods. When you go back to Keypurr the prediction should be working. Let us know if that works.

Thanks!

I've only been trying Keypurr for a couple of days, but this symptom did happen to me once. Switching input methods and back again fixed it (seemed like something to try!). It hasn't happened since, but then I haven't been using it long.

Rick
HTC Desire-Z, AOS 2.2.1

Upvote 0
This is a thread for users of Keypurr to submit feedback on their experiences that we will use to make Keypurr even better.

We're especially interested in the words you want added to the dictionary and features that you would like to see in Keypurr.

Note: we are currently working on a major dictionary revision that will soon be released as a free upgrade. Dictionary additions posted here in time will be included in the upgrade.
R1.jpg

I didnt find anything wrong with it. Everything was working just find. Very happy to have it ..

Upvote 0
I'm new to Keypurr, and so far very impressed. I have a Desire-Z with flip-out keyboard, but I often want to enter text without going to landscape, and Keypurr is so much easier than the standard soft keyboard.

I think I now understand most of the subtleties, but something that seems to be missing is the ability to go quickly to the settings. AFAICS you have to go into system settings -> language & keyboard. I've put a shortcut on a home screen, but it would be really nice to be able to jump to the settings directly from any app when using Keypurr.

How about a long press somewhere? BTW, while poking about I did a long-press on "Cursor:" next to the cursor keys, and it added "Cursor:" to the dictionary. I don't think that's supposed to happen! I can't delete it from the dictionary either because I've got an HTC :(

A related nice shortcut would be to long-press on a function key to edit the text of the key directly.

Keep up the good work - looking forward to future updates.

Rick

Upvote 0
I've only been trying Keypurr for a couple of days, but this symptom did happen to me once. Switching input methods and back again fixed it (seemed like something to try!). It hasn't happened since, but then I haven't been using it long.

Rick
HTC Desire-Z, AOS 2.2.1

Well, at least I am not the only one now that has reported this issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones