• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Kies Downloading New Firmware

so basically all I need to do is the factory reset in recovery mode and nothing should be lost? Sorry if I keep asking the same questions, but my wife is really worried about her pics and movies. I found her contacts backed up with lookout mobile security and shouldn't have any trouble restoring them, but the pics and movies were not backed up there and are the main concern of mine.

Upvote 0
I plugged the phone into my computers USB port and did the factory reset. Once the phone resets, it comes to a warning screen. The warning screen gives me the option to press the volume up key to download a custom OS or volume down to cancel (restart phone). I tried both and the phone still goes back to the ODIN Mode screen. I will try to restart my computer and do an emergency firmware recovery and let you know what happens.

Upvote 0
Ok. I restarted my computer and restarted Kies. Once I plugged my phone in, Kies does not recognize the phone. When I click on firmware emergency recovery my device is not listed and I do not have a recovery code. I can click on the firmware upgrade and initialization and enter my S/N & model name. Once I do that I come to a screen that says, "the can be initalized to its original settings. All settings and data will be deleted, and the latest software version will be installed. Do you want to proceed with the firmware upgrade and initialization?" If i proceed, will I lose the photos and videos that are stored on the phone? She does not have a SD card, so everything that she has is saved directly to the phone's memory.

Upvote 0
If i proceed, will I lose the photos and videos that are stored on the phone? She does not have a SD card, so everything that she has is saved directly to the phone's memory.

I can't guarantee it but it shouldn't. It will replace the firmware system files but should not format your internal sd card. Your pics, movies, etc. should still be there.

Upvote 0
Hey so the EXACT same thing happened to me today and I am at the final step from entering in the serial number and model number, and am now doing the firmware emergency recovery but the progress has been stopped at 79% for a couple hours now and the phone is still in odin mode. Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to the forums Jack.

Did you get this working?

Upvote 0
Ok. I restarted my computer and restarted Kies. Once I plugged my phone in, Kies does not recognize the phone. When I click on firmware emergency recovery my device is not listed and I do not have a recovery code. I can click on the firmware upgrade and initialization and enter my S/N & model name. Once I do that I come to a screen that says, "the can be initalized to its original settings. All settings and data will be deleted, and the latest software version will be installed. Do you want to proceed with the firmware upgrade and initialization?" If i proceed, will I lose the photos and videos that are stored on the phone? She does not have a SD card, so everything that she has is saved directly to the phone's memory.

Hello everyone,

I need help ASAP. I have been having the SAME problem as SoMoney. However, the issue is that I cannot even do the "Firmware upgrade and Initialization" part of it because it says that my model cannot be verified and that initialization cannot proceed.

To summarize what happened... I agreed to the firmware upgrade in Kies (I did not have ICS yet), but after the download process finished and the installation began, it gave the error noted by others here. When I tried to do the "Emergency Recovery", I kept running into the same problem; also note that my phone screen has remained in the "ODIN" mode throughout (with the hazard yellow sign with the exclamation point in the middle). So I tried ATMAZZZ's ODIN solution with no results (or "fail" showing up in ODIN). Again, it remained on the same screen.

I cannot do a factory restore or anything! I restarted my computer, Kies, phone and all with no results. I have no idea how to proceed now, and I really need my phone up and running because my med school classes start in a couple of days!

Oh... and I have T-Mobile (Samsung Galaxy S2). I am no regretting clicking accept on the firmware update offer! Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Shoob

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I need help ASAP. I have been having the SAME problem as SoMoney. However, the issue is that I cannot even do the "Firmware upgrade and Initialization" part of it because it says that my model cannot be verified and that initialization cannot proceed.

Hi Shoob. When you try the Firmware upgrade and Initialization are you putting in your phone's serial number and SGH-T989 for the model?

Upvote 0
Hi Shoob. When you try the Firmware upgrade and Initialization are you putting in your phone's serial number and SGH-T989 for the model?

Yes I did... MULTIPLE times. It's so frustrating because I know I am putting it in correctly. If I put it in incorrectly, it won't even accept it as a correct format.

I'll be checking this thread incessantly... I'm glued to the screen here for a solution! Thanks in advance for your help!

Upvote 0
When you started all this, did you enable usb debugging on your phone?

Have you tried Odin and/or Kies plugged into another USB port?

Is the com port box in Odin turning yellow when you plug in your phone?

Is your phone unplugged from the USB when you try to go to recovery? When trying to go to recovery, are you holding power and both volume buttons and then letting go of the power button when the phone vibrates?

Do you have another computer handy you can try?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to figure out some options. :)

Is your phone under warranty?

Upvote 0
When I started, I didn't change any USB settings on the phone because I thought this was a simple update by connecting to Kies like I've done before.

I've tried different USB ports. Odin shows a yellow port when I connect the phone to the computer. I have tried to enter recovery mode both while the phone was connected and disconnected, with no luck. I can potentially try on another computer in a little while.

I actually bought this phone in October 2011 directly from T-Mobile, so I believe it should be under warranty.

Do not worry about asking me too many questions. I completely understand the purpose behind it... to me, it's just a way for diagnosis, and a good diagnostician asks a lot of good questions. If anything, it increases my trust in you! Sorry for the late response, but I've been up all night trying to figure this out, and I had just fallen asleep!

-Shoob

Upvote 0
When I started, I didn't change any USB settings on the phone because I thought this was a simple update by connecting to Kies like I've done before.

I've tried different USB ports. Odin shows a yellow port when I connect the phone to the computer. I have tried to enter recovery mode both while the phone was connected and disconnected, with no luck. I can potentially try on another computer in a little while.

I actually bought this phone in October 2011 directly from T-Mobile, so I believe it should be under warranty.

Do not worry about asking me too many questions. I completely understand the purpose behind it... to me, it's just a way for diagnosis, and a good diagnostician asks a lot of good questions. If anything, it increases my trust in you! Sorry for the late response, but I've been up all night trying to figure this out, and I had just fallen asleep!

-Shoob

Hey Shoob. Sorry it took so long to reply. Follow the instructions here for installing the android SDK. When you get to the adb devices command, you should get a serial number if it can see your phone. If it doesn't, I think we're out of luck. You can call T-Mobile and tell them Kies screwed up your phone while upgrading ICS. Believe me, you won't be the first.

Upvote 0
Hey Shoob. Sorry it took so long to reply. Follow the instructions here for installing the android SDK. When you get to the adb devices command, you should get a serial number if it can see your phone. If it doesn't, I think we're out of luck. You can call T-Mobile and tell them Kies screwed up your phone while upgrading ICS. Believe me, you won't be the first.

Hey!

No problem... You're the one helping me, so trust me... I truly appreciate it.

Now.. After trying for a cumulative 7-8 hours on my computer... and then becoming concerned about having to send in my phone to get a repair/replacement, I continued to plug away (some forums suggested to keep trying and stated that it would "eventually work". Anyways, I finally got the opportunity to try Kies on my brother's laptop...

Same problem kept persisting. Then I went ahead and got Odin with the ICS T-Mobile file. Recall that Odin failed each and every time I tried it on my PC. I tried maybe 20 times with the big red "Fail" sign each time. On my brother's laptop, it actually did not fail, and kept moving through the update process... and OMG... it FINALLY worked! It actually updated my phone and rebooted the phone on its own... Oh, and the error screen remained on the device throughout the upgrade.

Thank you soooo much Atmazzz!!! I was siting here thinking to myself "how am I going to start med school with this kinda BS becoming an obstacle!"... well, thank God, I didn't have to send in my phone! And ICS doesn't seem like much of a difference... and definitely not enough to warrant this crappy nasty headache I got from this hassle!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones