• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
@ marcelf

"I can now use app folders to avoid so many home screens,"

Can you explain how you do this please.

easy. long press an empty space on the home screen and the option to make a folder appears (might be different for network locked devices) then you just drag apps into the folder. I've got 47 apps on the home screen in multiple folders.

hope this helps!

Reactions: Rothbury
Upvote 0
2 weeks ago I got my partner the s4 mini (uk unlocked) and was very disappointed it didn't come with the latest software. still running 4.2.2 yet others in uk with unlocked phone have received it, what is going on? on the Samsung rollout page it says the phone should have received it in June, kitkat is almost 1 year old and lollipop comes out soon, terrible service from Samsung but my fault in presuming it would have the latest software/firmware :mad:

I think Samsung are quite slow at updates due to the heavy touchwiz overlay, they duplicate a lot of google apps that I think cause conflicts. Plus they usually only support their top line devices ( s series and note), I think tablets are even worse.

Having used stock android now on my Nvidia/advent vega tablet (it's had 4.1 4.2 4.3, and running 4.4.2 for 9 months now!) I'm quite keen on it, my next phone may well be a Motorola. My mum has the original moto g and it got 4.4.4 ages ago!

My s4 mini uk unlocked got 4.4.2 on 4th of November. I don't try and work out how and when they update anymore, I just think I'm lucky if I ever get one.

I have to say my phone is much faster than it was when using 4.2 and battery life has got better, even though I had no issues before. I don't have the wifi signal stop working either.

Upvote 0
I've had my s4 mini since march and Ive not had my update yet, disappointed still, over a month on since Marcelf got theirs. Very frustrating indeed, I have until next December to get this update as my contract runs out then,

It might be worth checking if your updates are over 3/4g or wifi. mine was over wifi and the notification finally arrived in the morning. I don't use wifi much so I wouldn't have seen the update if it was not on.
I got my unlocked s4 mini in march also, so it can't be long before you get the update.

Upvote 0
I think I now understand why this rollout is so irregular. Because of the competition for pricing on devices I don't think retailers always get their stock direct from Samsung. Or if they do? I recently installed this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo

What I found was that my S4 had firmware for Italy (ITV) and my wifes phone originally for the JCV market but had firmware for UAE. Hers has 4.4.2 and mine still sits at 4.2.2.

Now my question is could one put firmware from UK, Canada, US or NZ on the phones so long as they are not locked to a carrier?

Upvote 0
Hi, just a quick question. I didn't think this was worth starting a new thread, but I'm guessing a Lollipop update is unlikely if some people still haven't had KitKat?

I'm looking at getting an S4 Mini, so if I'm stuck on KK for 2 years that would be a bit of a turn-off. I've had a couple of Samsungs in the past and have been happy with them, but am also looking at a Moto, which I believe will be getting Lollipop (plus I think it is near-Vanilla, so no TouchWiz thankfully).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones