• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LapDock and WepTop

hotzorro

Nov 23, 2008
Has anyone purchased the WebDock that uses the WepTop software? I can find little information but this looks very interesting to me.

If you have purchased it, can you answer a few questions for me?

1. Connectivity Will it use WiFi, 4G and ethernet cable? (I noticed in the connectivity setting of my Bionic that there is an ethernet connection option greyed out)

2. Apps, can you run all of the phones apps on the LapDock screen?

3. Does the LabDock have a front facing camera for Video Chat calls?

Thanks!
Jerry

No forward facing camera, 4G (with tethering plan) and WiFi yes, Ethernet no.

You sort of run the phone's apps on the Lapdock. The WebTop software is completley separate from the phone's. It does not run the apps and is very limited in my opinion. (I own it and it sits in it's case a lot.) If you can run something over the web in firefox with a Linux OS you can do it with the lapdock. (as an example, you can run Netflix on the phone but not on the WebTop since they only support FF on Windows or IOS.)

What you do have is a replicated copy of the phone's desktop which is just about as small as the phone itself. You can enlarge it but all it does is get a little bigger, you don't get more real-estate.

I have to say that Motorola could have hit a home run if they simply replicated the phone with a higher resolution screen. As it is I'm looking for a tablet and will get rid of the lapdock if I can get a good price for it.

Upvote 0
jruddell;[URL="tel:3203360" said:
3203360[/URL]]No forward facing camera, 4G (with tethering plan) and WiFi yes, Ethernet no.

You sort of run the phone's apps on the Lapdock. The WebTop software is completley separate from the phone's. It does not run the apps and is very limited in my opinion. (I own it and it sits in it's case a lot.) If you can run something over the web in firefox with a Linux OS you can do it with the lapdock. (as an example, you can run Netflix on the phone but not on the WebTop since they only support FF on Windows or IOS.)

What you do have is a replicated copy of the phone's desktop which is just about as small as the phone itself. You can enlarge it but all it does is get a little bigger, you don't get more real-estate.

I have to say that Motorola could have hit a home run if they simply replicated the phone with a higher resolution screen. As it is I'm looking for a tablet and will get rid of the lapdock if I can get a good price for it.

I'm assuming you have the Atrix because with the Bionic you don't need a tethering plan to use the lapdock.

Upvote 0
No forward facing camera, 4G (with tethering plan) and WiFi yes, Ethernet no.

You know, I heard that they were working on a "Tabdock" for the Atrix so I'm hoping that it will come true since they now have two phones that can benefit from such an accessory. I would totally be interested if the price is right. You know if Moto builds the tabdock right...I can foresee it being able to use the FFC that's already on the Bionic. With HDMI mirroring mode this accessory could be really easy to make...at least I think.

Gadget University High Tech, Higher Learning Tab Dock from Motorola In the Works!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones