• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Latest info on SD card Support.

I wonder what might be considered a reasonable amout of time for Motorola to fix this. It is now June 3rd 2011 and still no word.

Today July 15th google rolled out the Honeycomb USA update to my xoom wifi at 12:31am this update so far updates the sd card slot to work and supports 32 gb also the update included a screen zoom for phone apps ki d of like the ipad has for apps not made for larger screns and it works awesomely! As I find out more of what this Honeycomb 3.2 update has i wil post more and answer any questions you may have about it.

Now i know for sure that my xoom is way better then the galaxy tab 10.1

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Honeycomb 3.2

Upvote 0
Today July 15th google rolled out the Honeycomb USA update to my xoom wifi at 12:31am this update so far updates the sd card slot to work and supports 32 gb also the update included a screen zoom for phone apps ki d of like the ipad has for apps not made for larger screns and it works awesomely! As I find out more of what this Honeycomb 3.2 update has i wil post more and answer any questions you may have about it.

Now i know for sure that my xoom is way better then the galaxy tab 10.1

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Honeycomb 3.2

I got my mom the tab 10.1 and my XOOM with 3.2 flys by the Galaxy tab. Also the tab likes to freeze the browser alot.

As for 3.2 it has improved my XOOM a lot, the browser seems smoother and general scrolling is quicker and smoother. Oh yeah the SD card is great now :)

Upvote 0
I just got the 3.2 update this morning and the first thing I tried was the SD slot. It mounted without any problems, but I could not copy any files from internal memory to the SD card. It looks like the permissions for the /mnt/external1 are set to "dr-".

I can copy files directly to the SD card via my laptop and thru the USB connection to the zoom, but not from within the zoom. Tried Astro and FileManagerHD. :mad: Reformatted the SD card in case it was corrupted, again no go.

Maybe I'm missing something in the zoom settings. Don't see anyway to change the permissions to write without having to root.

Upvote 0
I got my micro card to work but my photos are really, really small. Does anyone know why they won't enlarge when I tap them?? I thought they would go larger...

Two other questions, can I save my photos/videos I take with the xoom to the card and can I move my photos off the card to the xoom?

Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
Im still a bit frustrated on the ease of use for the xooms external sd slot if im on a plane, or out of town and do not have access to a pc (main reason why i bought a xoom instead of a laptop) how am i suppose to move files to the external slot if i run out of space ie if im on vacation im going to take a lot of 720 video and 5 megapixel images ect. I mean im hapy it works, because i can load movies on a card andchange them, but that ssems to be all it is for, stuff ypu already have not for ANYTHING NEW!:mad: i dont know and dont care whos fault it is motorola mobility or google, even tho google now owns motorola mobility. I cant figure out why they madeit adirectory only, this is like a bait and switch on the advertised capabilities of being able to expand, expand means to addto existing storage, not just mount the card and not be able to do anything with it beside stare atthe empty space, unless AGAIN you have access to a computer, isnt the point of owning a tablet to cease the need for bulky laptops, or hoping the hotel has a pc for you to use, i will be returning my 2 motorola xooms that i purchased for me and my wife and get us each a netbook for the price of one xoom..

*Gets of his soap box* i st had to See or know if im the onlu one who feels like this

Reactions: visch1
Upvote 0
Class 10 means a minimum throughput of 10MB/s.

I got my Xoom yesterday and I stuck my FAT32 formatted SDHC card in and it was recognised fine. Tracking it down wasn't that easy but I know my way around a Unix file system so I was able to track it down to the location correctly identified by kennychaffin above (i.e. /mnt/external1).

The read-only restriction is still in place though. When I try to copy content into that directory, the request is silently ignored (i.e. nothing happens but there is no error message) which is a bit crap.

Upvote 0
It's not something like this that is causing your issue is it?

How to Remove Write Protection From MicroSD Card | eHow.com

I just tried copying a file all on the Xoom from one of the internal directories to the mnt/external1/sdcard and it gave me a failed copy message.

I plugged in the USB cable and did the same thing, but from my PC and it worked fine.

????

Upvote 0
Hello all,

You actually can write to the external SD Card on the Xoom using apps that support the proper Google APIs. For example, you can use "File Manager HD" on the Google Market to copy files from the internal drive to the external Micro SDHC. There are a few other apps that have been updated to support the proper APIs and allow the writing capability.

When you use File Manager HD, drill down from the top level directory to /mnt, there you will find directory paths "external1" for the external Micro SDCard and "sdcard" for the internal storage. Long press on any file or directory gives you a number of options, including copying from or pasting (writing) to either location.

Following the last Android 3.2.x upgrade, applications have been required to use the proper APIs to write to the external SDCard, so SDCard write support will continue to depend on application developer support.

-Doc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones