• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [LINARO] AWEstruck v1.04 12/14/14 | [3.4.107] v1.05b6 5/30/15

So about that performance...

Screenshot_2014-12-30-02-25-48.png

Hope to see this on the KK kernel someday

Reactions: spock1104
Upvote 0
I compile from the same source and with the same compiler for both jellybean and kitkat, so either one of the options added to kitkat is degrading performance (maybe SELinux? that's the biggest difference) or it's a consequence of the ROM and not under my control unless I start compiling ROMs. I'll keep it in mind to have another look at the config differences, maybe I'll be lucky and it'll be some extra logging got turned on. Biggest difference is in the I/O. Is kitkat using encryption?

Reactions: dragonhart6505
Upvote 0
I compile from the same source and with the same compiler for both jellybean and kitkat, so either one of the options added to kitkat is degrading performance (maybe SELinux? that's the biggest difference) or it's a consequence of the ROM and not under my control unless I start compiling ROMs. I'll keep it in mind to have another look at the config differences, maybe I'll be lucky and it'll be some extra logging got turned on. Biggest difference is in the I/O. Is kitkat using encryption?
Don't use the kk oc in the spirt ROM causes Google apps to fc and act strange

Upvote 0
Confirmed to be happening, but I don't think it's the kernel's fault. I downgraded the app and videos are playing fine again. I recommend taking it up with our Google overlords.

Edit: both stock youtube and 5.16.4 are working. I'll see if I can find an archive and keep updating until it breaks, just because I'm curious.

Edit2: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonhart6505
Upvote 0
Confirmed to be happening, but I don't think it's the kernel's fault. I downgraded the app and videos are playing fine again. I recommend taking it up with our Google overlords.

Edit: both stock youtube and 5.16.4 are working. I'll see if I can find an archive and keep updating until it breaks, just because I'm curious.

Edit2: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/
Great thanks. I'm not going to undermine you on whether or not the kernel is at fault, but restoring my backup boot/system (stock rom because I dont care for all the bells and whistles in the others) restored YT app videos to working order. Flashed back JB B3, issue returned.
Also found wheatley gov not keeping 2nd core active and sometimes it doesnt kick in at all til I switch govs back n forth

Upvote 0
Well that's interesting, I wonder if there's some video acceleration going on that maybe is no longer working right. I'll go through past kernel versions and try again, see if there are any more clues.

Can you disable mpdecision and try wheatley again? Just want to rule out possibilities. With mpdecision on, the kernel will shut off the second core for power savings when the cpu load can be handled by one core alone.

Upvote 0
Well that's interesting, I wonder if there's some video acceleration going on that maybe is no longer working right. I'll go through past kernel versions and try again, see if there are any more clues.

Can you disable mpdecision and try wheatley again? Just want to rule out possibilities. With mpdecision on, the kernel will shut off the second core for power savings when the cpu load can be handled by one core alone.
I always turn off mpdecision off. Trickstermod is set to boot with it that way

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones