• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for case for extended battery as well as help on a 3rd party home launcher

wildkitten

Android Enthusiast
Hello, if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, I do apologize. I am new to the site and did search but wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

I got my Bionic about 3 weeks ago. I prefer a flip style case rather than a "skin" type case and found a nice one that fits with the standard battery. However, I needed to get the extended battery and got that on sale, and I have been searching for a few days for a flip style case that would fit the Bionic but have been unsuccessful. Does anyone know of any?

As to the launcher, I have tried both the GO Launcher EX and the ADW Launcher EX. I like them both, but the quick contacts widget that comes with the Bionic doesn't seem to work with either of these. Does anyone know of how to make this work, or if there is another widget out there that works the same that does work with either of these?

Thank you so much for any help.

Hello wildkitten, welcome to Android Forums. :)

I'm wondering if by "flip style" case you also mean "wallet style":

Wallet Leather Case for Motorola DROID BIONIC Pouch A Moto Verizon Holster Skin | eBay

Hello wildkitten, welcome to Android Forums. :)

I'm wondering if by "flip style" case you also mean "wallet style":

Wallet Leather Case for Motorola DROID BIONIC Pouch A Moto Verizon Holster Skin | eBay

That is similar to what I mean, although that is the first flip style case I have ever seen that doesn't flip over the front of the phone, which is what I would prefer to help offer more screen protection. Since I'm new, I can't post links but the flip case I bought for the original battery is made by that same company, Klemson. If you do a search on eBay for Flip Leather Case For Droid Bionic, it should show you which one I mean.

The TPU case style is just a skin case which I just don't like. There is nothing that covers the screen on those so doesn't protect as well.

As to the launcher, I have tried both the GO Launcher EX and the ADW Launcher EX. I like them both, but the quick contacts widget that comes with the Bionic doesn't seem to work with either of these. Does anyone know of how to make this work, or if there is another widget out there that works the same that does work with either of these?

I used to use the Photo Contacts Widget on my last phone. It worked with ADW Launcher EX and LauncherPro(another launcher you can try HERE)

I used to use the Photo Contacts Widget on my last phone. It worked with ADW Launcher EX and LauncherPro(another launcher you can try HERE)
I really like that Photo Contacts widget. My only complaint, and this isn't the widgets fault but rather how the contacts handle this, is that the photo I assign to a contact is resized horribly small. On the Photo Contact Widget as well as the Caller ID screen when I get a call the picture shows blurry because of that resizing. Does anyone know of a fix for that?

Also, that Launcher Pro looks nice as well.

Thank you all for helping me.

I've been buying cases from Fortte (www.fortte.com) for quite a while. When I inquired about the extended battery for the Bionic, they replied and told me to email my order number as soon as I place it, and to tell them about the extended battery, and they would personally modify the case to make it wider to accomodate the thicker battery.

I'm planning on ordering a new case for my Bionic in the next week, and will report back on the modified case quality if anyone is interested...

As for my Launcher, I've been stuck on Launcher Pro Plus for quite a while. Everyone says it's outdated, but it suits me fine...

I really like that Photo Contacts widget. My only complaint, and this isn't the widgets fault but rather how the contacts handle this, is that the photo I assign to a contact is resized horribly small. On the Photo Contact Widget as well as the Caller ID screen when I get a call the picture shows blurry because of that resizing. Does anyone know of a fix for that?

That's a pretty common problem; I know with my old Sense phone, which show contact photos on the caller ID larger than stock Android, they always looked horrible. I believe that the issue is that Google contacts (on the web) resizes all contact photos, and then they are re-synced down to the phone. I've read others say that assigning contact photos on the phone will solve this, but I'm afraid to say that this never seems to stick for me.

Perhaps if you use Facebook profile photos for all it is better, though.

I've been buying cases from Fortte (www.fortte.com) for quite a while. When I inquired about the extended battery for the Bionic, they replied and told me to email my order number as soon as I place it, and to tell them about the extended battery, and they would personally modify the case to make it wider to accomodate the thicker battery.

I'm planning on ordering a new case for my Bionic in the next week, and will report back on the modified case quality if anyone is interested...

As for my Launcher, I've been stuck on Launcher Pro Plus for quite a while. Everyone says it's outdated, but it suits me fine...
Those cases do look very nice. A bit pricey, but if they do well on making it fit the extended battery I will certainly buy one, so please let me know.

I plan to have this phone for hopefully more than a couple of years since Verizon no longer has their original new every two deal so a nice, high quality case would be nice for it.

That's a pretty common problem; I know with my old Sense phone, which show contact photos on the caller ID larger than stock Android, they always looked horrible. I believe that the issue is that Google contacts (on the web) resizes all contact photos, and then they are re-synced down to the phone. I've read others say that assigning contact photos on the phone will solve this, but I'm afraid to say that this never seems to stick for me.

Perhaps if you use Facebook profile photos for all it is better, though.
Well I don't use Google contacts. Almost all of my contacts were imported from Verizon's backup service and that doesn't save the photo associated. I have gone through and added photos to the contacts I want, but I was a little surprised that unlike my old enVee Touch I couldn't crop a photo to have just a certain portion show for the contact photo.

And if I use a high quality image for the contact photo, it seems to automatically shrink it to a very small size so when the person calls the picture on the caller ID is very pixelated. Not a biggie, but still a tiny bit annoying that such a nice phone doesn't do something as well as a much older multimedia phone could do.

Those cases do look very nice. A bit pricey, but if they do well on making it fit the extended battery I will certainly buy one, so please let me know.

I plan to have this phone for hopefully more than a couple of years since Verizon no longer has their original new every two deal so a nice, high quality case would be nice for it.

Nice thing about Fortte is that they're always running a sale. Check out their home page for check out codes to get the final price down...

Back
Top Bottom