• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Low Space: All Droid Incredibles?

For all you people with your panties in a wad and blaming HTC...

It's not an HTC issue. Android currently limits the /data/data portion to 150mb. No way to change that yet.

If you root and load a different ROM, guess how much space /data/data has? Yup. 150mb.

If you load CyanogenMod, even the Gingerbread version? 150mb.

Now... some apps are pigs, and maybe some of the HTC apps make it worse. I've noticed certain apps cache a lot of data there. For example, Dolphin HD and gReader. But with both of those apps you can configure it to cache to SD card.

I've also noticed that when I load any version of CynaogenMod, there is a little more space initially. So in that respect, it is better than Sense. But it doesn't change the underlying issue.

As far as the poster asking about the /system partition being full. You don't have to worry about that. That is where the ROM goes. It never changes unless you root and delete preinstalled apps. But that doesn't really buy you anything.

Upvote 0
See #18 & #27 above in this thread. Folks just don't want to read the whole thread. It has nothing to do with how many applications are installed, which ones and how big the SD card is.

It's Android. 150 mb in \data\data. That's it. Period.

Folks should look for software to clean that partition and you'll be good to go. Everything else described in this thread is just addressing symptoms. If it works for you great. If you like doing factory resets, party all night.

If you want the damn thing to work, use Cache Cleaner and Not Enough Space, which will let you directly deal with \data\data.

Upvote 0
For all you people with your panties in a wad and blaming HTC...

It's not an HTC issue. Android currently limits the /data/data portion to 150mb. No way to change that yet.

If you root and load a different ROM, guess how much space /data/data has? Yup. 150mb.

If you load CyanogenMod, even the Gingerbread version? 150mb.

Now... some apps are pigs, and maybe some of the HTC apps make it worse. I've noticed certain apps cache a lot of data there. For example, Dolphin HD and gReader. But with both of those apps you can configure it to cache to SD card.

I've also noticed that when I load any version of CynaogenMod, there is a little more space initially. So in that respect, it is better than Sense. But it doesn't change the underlying issue.

As far as the poster asking about the /system partition being full. You don't have to worry about that. That is where the ROM goes. It never changes unless you root and delete preinstalled apps. But that doesn't really buy you anything.

HTC MAIL APP causing it ... WOULD be an HTC problem. Since I killed the HTC App...it has NEVER happened again.

Upvote 0
HTC MAIL APP causing it ... WOULD be an HTC problem. Since I killed the HTC App...it has NEVER happened again.

If my landlord had the spaces in the parking lot painted too small, is it Ford's fault that my Focus won't fit in one?

I'm glad that doing that resolved your problem (at least for now). And I'd even suggest that those experiencing this problem change settings to make the HTC mail app more cache-efficient or switch to a different client. However, it's not HTC'S fault. It's Google's, they are responsible for not making that partition big enough.

Upvote 0
See #18 & #27 above in this thread. Folks just don't want to read the whole thread. It has nothing to do with how many applications are installed, which ones and how big the SD card is.

It's Android. 150 mb in \data\data. That's it. Period.

Folks should look for software to clean that partition and you'll be good to go. Everything else described in this thread is just addressing symptoms. If it works for you great. If you like doing factory resets, party all night.

If you want the damn thing to work, use Cache Cleaner and Not Enough Space, which will let you directly deal with \data\data.

The only data\data I have in my phone is empty. I guess that in order to see the correct data\data you guys are talking about, it is necessary to be rooted.

Upvote 0

That is one app. There are probably hundreds of other complex apps that will suck up space. Flash takes up a crapton of space. Is it now Adobes fault? Lets toss some blame on Dolphin HD too since it can cache to /data/data. I've seen a couple dozen different apps listed as The Cause.

The poster above nailed it... it's not the apps fault Android allocates such a silly small amount of space for this. I love my Android device, but my biggest complaints are this 150mb data partition, and the lack of graphics hardware accel at the OS level. I can understand the hardware accel issue and can give a pass (for now). The 150mb data space is confusing to me.

Upvote 0
So if this is an Android problem... does that mean other phones have the same issue? Will the HTC Thunderbolt with 32GB of memory still be hobbled by some ridiculously low 150MB limit? Does the Droid X or other phones experience this?

This is absolutely amazing. Totally brain dead. Unbelievable. This is why people by Apple instead. Just sayin.

Upvote 0
So if this is an Android problem... does that mean other phones have the same issue? Will the HTC Thunderbolt with 32GB of memory still be hobbled by some ridiculously low 150MB limit? Does the Droid X or other phones experience this?

This is absolutely amazing. Totally brain dead. Unbelievable. This is why people by Apple instead. Just sayin.

I would imagine this is probably going to be resolved soon. BTW, no other phones beside HTC models seem to report this being a big issue probably because, as a few other posters have pointed out, Sense is so memory intensive. In the beginning (and up through the launch of 2.1) Google had no need to update this partition because there weren't any phones capable of taking advantage of it (for example, the Eris only had 150 mb of app storage TOTAL) and most apps were extremely lightweight. It is definitely an issue now that apps have become more and more complex and phones do have the storage necessary to overload that partition.

Upvote 0
I would imagine this is probably going to be resolved soon. BTW, no other phones beside HTC models seem to report this being a big issue probably because, as a few other posters have pointed out, Sense is so memory intensive. In the beginning (and up through the launch of 2.1) Google had no need to update this partition because there weren't any phones capable of taking advantage of it (for example, the Eris only had 150 mb of app storage TOTAL) and most apps were extremely lightweight. It is definitely an issue now that apps have become more and more complex and phones do have the storage necessary to overload that partition.

I don't believe that. I don't use any of the Sense stuff and I've run out of memory. It started when I downloaded big PDF email attachments using K9.

The Incredible is NOT the only powerful Android phone out there. There are tons of them now, Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate, etc.), Nexus One, Nexus S, EVO, on and on.

I haven't see this problem reported on other phones.

Googling anything about /data/data or 150MB limits on Android yields nothing.

This sounds like an HTC and Incredible unique problem.

150MB is simply a joke when the phone has 6GB, as in 6,000MB available not counting another 8,000MB on the SD card.

Most iPhone games use tons of space. Apps and their data on iPhones use data measured in gigabytes, not 150MB (in total, not individually).

Upvote 0
150MB is simply a joke when the phone has 6GB, as in 6,000MB available not counting another 8,000MB on the SD card.

You are confusing two different types of memory again. The 150MB is like the RAM in your desktop computer. The 8G is like your hard drive. The removable storage on your microSD is like a second, larger hard drive.

We are talking about a limitation in the RAM your Incredible uses.

I agree that I haven't seen these complaints on non-Sense based phones, like the Motorola or Samsung handsets; nor on any HTC phone that has been rooted and reflashed with a non-Sense ROM.

Upvote 0
You are confusing two different types of memory again. The 150MB is like the RAM in your desktop computer. The 8G is like your hard drive. The removable storage on your microSD is like a second, larger hard drive.

I agree that I haven't seen these complaints on non-Sense based phones, like the Motorola or Samsung handsets; nor on any HTC phone that has been rooted and reflashed with a non-Sense ROM.

No...YOU'RE confusing two different types of "memory" (I'm am 100% AGAINST referring to storage devices as memory, for this very reason). The 150MB that we are talking about is a small partition on the internal storage chip that is used by Android, Sense, and various Apps for data storage and cache (the intent for that is to store private data, AFAIK). It is in no way RAM (although if I understand correctly it is slightly analogous to Swap space on a linux machine [windows and I assume OSX also have Swap space]).

I have seen similar complaints on other devices, but not many. Specifically I have seen complaints of this on Archos tablets. I'm currently of the opinion that HTC is using the partition more heavily than google had intended, and/or they didn't make the partition big enough. Either way, it's doubtful that it can be repaired (ok, it's doubtful that it WILL be repaired. I'm pretty sure you could repartition the storage or pipe/link that folder to another partition/folder. But I don't know how much work that would entail.

Upvote 0

If the RAM argument is true, then all the vitriol about app killers doesn't hold water. I thought Android was able to shut down and prioritize RAM allocation based on need. I remember reading many threads explaining in detail how Android was superior in this app and memory management making app killers unnecessary and dangerous.

Question for users with this space low problem: are any of you using an app killer?

Upvote 0
If the RAM argument is true, then all the vitriol about app killers doesn't hold water. I thought Android was able to shut down and prioritize RAM allocation based on need. I remember reading many threads explaining in detail how Android was superior in this app and memory management making app killers unnecessary and dangerous.

Question for users with this space low problem: are any of you using an app killer?

It's not RAM. It's not RAM in any way, shape or form. This has no bearing on android's memory allocation or on the use of task killers.

Upvote 0
I don't believe that. I don't use any of the Sense stuff and I've run out of memory. It started when I downloaded big PDF email attachments using K9.

The Incredible is NOT the only powerful Android phone out there. There are tons of them now, Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate, etc.), Nexus One, Nexus S, EVO, on and on.

I haven't see this problem reported on other phones.

Googling anything about /data/data or 150MB limits on Android yields nothing.

This sounds like an HTC and Incredible unique problem.

Most iPhone games use tons of space. Apps and their data on iPhones use data measured in gigabytes, not 150MB (in total, not individually).

It is not even 150mb, since the warning appears at 135mb in the data/data folder. I zapped all data folder hungry apps and went from always stuck at about 400mb to 620mb device storage filled. Can not get past that, since data folder is at about 135mb, so get the low on space error. The Inc firmware designers should be banned from working on future devices.

iPhone & iPod does not have the constraint because ALL of the storage is for apps and media. I have 11gb of apps on my 64gb iPod and no space issues. Plenty of room for tunes too ; )

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure you could repartition the storage or pipe/link that folder to another partition/folder. But I don't know how much work that would entail.

I believe that's what the beta app "Not Enough Space" does. I've been using it to relocate stuff that would otherwise clog that 150mb space. At this point, I'm "addicted" to it, in that, if I had to move everything back to the 150mb space, I'd have a chronic "low memory" warning.

I'm about to flash a new ROM, though, and that will require a full wipe, which might clean things up a bit, too.

Incidentally, the link for the thread about Not Enough Space is:

Beta testers wanted: NES, tool to manage data partition - xda-developers

You do need to be rooted for this to work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones