• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mac or Pc from Evo users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you need a PC for some work reason, Mac is the answer. Macs are for people, PCs are for techies.

Well, atleast you have to be a techie to keep a PC running and without viruses, etc.

It's just me, but it's Mac or nothing. This being an Android forum, I've encountered so much anti-Apple stuff here, you're gonna hear a lot of PC answers.

But for people, Macs are the best operating system.

This is incorrect. All it takes to keep a PC running great is to not download crapware and adopt responsible browsing habits. I'd hate to be on a mac when a n osx supervirus is released. And it's going to happen. Mac's have no defense against them.

Upvote 0
All it takes to keep a PC running great is to not download crapware and adopt responsible browsing habits. I'd hate to be on a mac when an osx supervirus is released. And it's going to happen. Mac's have no defense against them.

Ok. FUD.

1. While perhaps the biggest infection vector seems to be web browsing, it is by no stretch of the imagination the only one.

2. While anti-virus software with regular updates and best practices is quite good, it is NOT perfect. They can't add a cure for a new virus until it's been detected or reported in the wild.

I know. I had one hand-carried in from overseas, via CD, into one of my labs that was fully dog-housed - no internet. Scanned the CD before doing Thing One - standard operating procedure for us. Nothing detected. Virus software was up-to-date as of a FEW HOURS before loading that CD. I spread it to Asia. Two days later, the anti-virus boys had a cure up for it. It cost us nearly $35k, in real dollars, to clean up the mess we had and were party to. And I'd felt I'd gotten off cheap.

On PCs running Windows.

Please - there's no such thing as a super-virus. That's a total FUD superlative.

I was out $35k and that was just a plain virus - as are they all.

Meanwhile, OS X with Safari is susceptible to malware if you browse with Java turned on. Don't do that, unless absolutely necessary to a trusted site run by someone who will pay for cleanup if they screw you.

Other than that - I'll continue to use OS X and be less susceptible to viruses than I am on our stock Windows platforms.

And if some big virus ever does hit - I'll pay for it with the time and money saved not worrying about it the way I do with Windows.

$35k will buy a lot of Macs, OK?

Upvote 0
Ok. FUD.

1. While perhaps the biggest infection vector seems to be web browsing, it is by no stretch of the imagination the only one.

2. While anti-virus software with regular updates and best practices is quite good, it is NOT perfect. They can't add a cure for a new virus until it's been detected or reported in the wild.

I know. I had one hand-carried in from overseas, via CD, into one of my labs that was fully dog-housed - no internet. Scanned the CD before doing Thing One - standard operating procedure for us. Nothing detected. Virus software was up-to-date as of a FEW HOURS before loading that CD. I spread it to Asia. Two days later, the anti-virus boys had a cure up for it. It cost us nearly $35k, in real dollars, to clean up the mess we had and were party to. And I'd felt I'd gotten off cheap.

On PCs running Windows.

Please - there's no such thing as a super-virus. That's a total FUD superlative.

I was out $35k and that was just a plain virus - as are they all.

Meanwhile, OS X with Safari is susceptible to malware if you browse with Java turned on. Don't do that, unless absolutely necessary to a trusted site run by someone who will pay for cleanup if they screw you.

Other than that - I'll continue to use OS X and be less susceptible to viruses than I am on our stock Windows platforms.

And if some big virus ever does hit - I'll pay for it with the time and money saved not worrying about it the way I do with Windows.

$35k will buy a lot of Macs, OK?

If you paid 35k for virus removal, well, thats foolish. Why don't you have backups like any other sane person would?

And the ONLY way a machine will get infected, is by downloading CRAPWARE. (unless a real hacker is encountered, which is rare, far, and very VERY few inbetween. ) It all boils down to user error. Don't blame the machine, blame yourself.

And there are different degree's of virus, and a "super" virus while being relative, does exist. Just means the person that coded it was exceptionally good at it.

Upvote 0
If you paid 35k for virus removal, well, thats foolish. Why don't you have backups like any other sane person would?

And the ONLY way a machine will get infected, is by downloading CRAPWARE. (unless a real hacker is encountered, which is rare, far, and very VERY few inbetween. ) It all boils down to user error. Don't blame the machine, blame yourself.

And there are different degree's of virus, and a "super" virus while being relative, does exist. Just means the person that coded it was exceptionally good at it.

You missed the part where I'm the Director of R&D for a company that makes industrial-use software.

Yes, golly thanks, I had backups. The $35k was in my direct labor costs. I didn't pay outsiders, and it would have cost much more if I had no backups and had to hire dweebs for this.

You know, you just evidently decided to marginalize my story to suit your ideas.

As far as real hackers go - I'll do until one comes along. Son, I've written pieces of operating systems, I've done extensive kernel coding, I've done extensive filesystem coding, and I've done extensive real-time systems coding on BARE METAL with my own functions for an operating system.

And no, I just checked.

There's still no such thing as a super virus.

PS - This is pointless. No way whatsoever you read what I wrote - you scanned it and launched.

Get back to me after you stop and read exactly how I got infected in the first place.

Upvote 0
You missed the part where I'm the Director of R&D for a company that makes industrial-use software.

Yes, golly thanks, I had backups. The $35k was in my direct labor costs. I didn't pay outsiders, and it would have cost much more if I had no backups and had to hire dweebs for this.

You know, you just evidently decided to marginalize my story to suit your ideas.

As far as real hackers go - I'll do until one comes along. Son, I've written pieces of operating systems, I've done extensive kernel coding, I've done extensive filesystem coding, and I've done extensive real-time systems coding on BARE METAL with my own functions for an operating system.

And no, I just checked.

There's still no such thing as a super virus.

PS - This is pointless. No way whatsoever you read what I wrote - you scanned it and launched.

Get back to me after you stop and read exactly how I got infected in the first place.

Completely missed this post/didn't link them together:

I have a Mac that's been running OS X since it was in Beta and is now at 10.4 (the hardware won't go further unless I play games that I don't want to). Ditto on my 2001 iBook, started with 10.0, now at 10.4 (use it around the house as a netbook when I want to).

They've been through a LOT of upgrades.

And yes, Apple pushes out upgrades on a regular basis.

The degradation in Windows performance is due to:

1. Registry degradation over time

2. File system (directory) degradation over time(*)

3. Bloat over time

All of which are user controlled.

Most people think chkdsk doesn't work, with proof by running it multiple times still having problems. Most people also think that re-installing software to fix problems is a good idea. WRONG.

I'm the Director of R&D for a company puts out industrial-use software.

Our machines - Windows, Mac, Linux, other unices - are all under configuration control. We know what goes on them and when and why. All are updated regularly.

One of my testbed PCs is 7 years old, has been running XP since SP2 came out in 2004 - and it runs like a champ, just as good as Day One.

Mac and Linux and *nix have a filesystem advantage over Windows. You rarely run fsck (unix for chkdsk) on your own, yes, you can force it, and yes, it typically runs at boot - and rarely finds anything wrong, but it when it does, it virtually never results in serious loss.

Windows is more primitive by comparison and people don't run chkdsk often enough - as in before and after any installs and on a regular basis - and Windows doesn't particularly help with that, except on hard failure and even then, I've watched people skip it on boot complaining that it takes too long. And contrary to popular belief, you don't defrag a Windows system - that can usually lead to worse performance, in my personal experience (and as explained by a number of disk drive manufacturers - the days of simple HD storage schemes are LONG GONE).

And then, things get confused, the disk starts thrashing (because now the OS is thrashing) and pretty soon you get the famous disk crash.

Did I mention that I've been running two Maxtor 60 GB drives from 2001 on that old Mac? You know - the ones with the super-low reliability record in the Windows world?

It's all about management.

I feel that Windows is harder to use because without understanding and proper training, yes, your PC will degrade. Most people don't know that that's not inevitable. Microsoft has made pretty good operating systems since Win2k - allowing for the false starts and bad initial releases they're known for, so you always wait until service pack reports come in before upgrading the OS. (Win7 by the way, is Vista re-branded, so it was pretty good from day one in our shop.)

I feel that Mac OS X and Linux are easier to use because once you get used to them, they just keep working - the superior unix underpinnings see to that.

Then again, these are just my opinions and I could be wrong.

My fault.

Here's a question, if you had backups, why not just re-clone from the backups? On a powerful machine it would take minutes per hard drive(depending on size, format, etc)

And son, I've chewed gum, shot guns, drove at 180mph, and eaten cheese on occasion. What does this have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing.

And saying win7 is a re-branded vista is very misleading. Sure there's a lot of similarities, but there's a lot of optimization, UI tweaks, and other things of that nature. Stability/Speed wise, they are two different animals.

Upvote 0
I've been a computer builder/repairmen for IBM PC's for ten years. I don't care for Win7 while I do believe it's an improvement, the question begs why fix it if it aint broke lol.
Wanting to know both sides I purchased a MacBook. Pound for Pound I enjoy using my refurb MacBook over my brand new HP Desktop. Why? The foundation of the Mac seems to be more of a common sense approach to me. It understands me rather than me having to figure it (Win7) out. In fact I'll probably purchase a new Mac desktop in the future.
Mac is able to export everything to the other side where as MS/Win OS's don't seem to care and live in their own world. Every thing that I've connected to my Mac connects w/out software, where as Win OS's always require software to interact.

Upvote 0
I've been a computer builder/repairmen for IBM PC's for ten years. I don't care for Win7 while I do believe it's an improvement, the question begs why fix it if it aint broke lol.
Wanting to know both sides I purchased a MacBook. Pound for Pound I enjoy using my refurb MacBook over my brand new HP Desktop. Why? The foundation of the Mac seems to be more of a common sense approach to me. It understands me rather than me having to figure it (Win7) out. In fact I'll probably purchase a new Mac desktop in the future.
Mac is able to export everything to the other side where as MS/Win OS's don't seem to care and live in their own world. Every thing that I've connected to my Mac connects w/out software, where as Win OS's always require software to interact.

Lol guess you don't use much, becuase mac's are known not to work with alot of "stuff". (too much to list)

Upvote 0
Apple makes a pretty decent product. But I've never been able to justify the price difference and the lockdown on upgrades. But then again, I build my own computers. If you're looking for a 13" laptop, buy a macbook. If you're in the 15 or 17" range, get a pc. You'll pay about $1000 more for a 15 or 17 in macbook pro than you would for a pc with much better specs.

Upvote 0
All comes down to personal preference. I work in photo and video and Macs are much easier to work with then PCs for this. I also prefer OS X to any version of Windows. Plus, as has been mentioned, you can always run Windows from a Mac. Just make sure to load up on anti virus/spyware crap before you do :)

Hm.. I have to disagree. The photoshop/adobe product offereings + video product offerings have the same UI now, and with right click it's even better =D. Plus since PC can use upgradeable and more advanced graphics cards, I'm going to have to side with PC on this one. I realize Adobe isn't end all be all for multimedia, but for most in the industry, it is.

Upvote 0
LMAO! You have obviously never even touched a Mac! What a joke. Please go back to the Moment forum and stop trolling the Evo forum. You do not even own one and admitted you are not interested in one. You are obviously here to start trouble.

Apple - Magic Mouse - The world?s first Multi-Touch mouse.

Yep here to cause trouble :rolleyes:, yet I'm one of the most highly thanked non-staff on the forum.

And since when is the magic mouse a STANDARD mac mouse? I didn't know they were giving them away for free with a mac purchase. Sorry, I don't feel the need to browse apple crap and troll on apple forums like some people do on Android forums.

Also, what does any of this have to do with an EVO + PC or Mac? Eh chief?

Oh and btw, how's XDA treatin you? bahaha

You got a problem with me or my posts, report them, or PM me. Anything else will just prove my point YOUR only here to start trouble. Good day.

EDIT: and besides, I'd rather have something more functional, more comfortable, and all around better, like my sidewinder.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=103

Upvote 0
Yep here to cause trouble :rolleyes:, yet I'm one of the most highly thanked non-staff on the forum.

And since when is the magic mouse a STANDARD mac mouse? I didn't know they were giving them away for free with a mac purchase. Quit starting trouble, do you really have nothing better to do than lie on forums?

Oh and btw, how's XDA treatin you? bahaha

Wow. Again, you are utterly clueless. The magic mouse IS the standard Mac mouse, just as the mighty mouse was before it. Guess what? That right clicked too! Oh yea, my MacBook can right click too! So how about this. You stay out of discussions you know nothing about. If you don't even know a Mac has a mouse able to right click, it's safe to say you know zero about the rest of what it does or does not do.

Upvote 0
Wow. Again, you are utterly clueless. The magic mouse IS the standard Mac mouse, just as the mighty mouse was before it. Guess what? That right clicked too! Oh yea, my MacBook can right click too! So how about this. You stay out of discussions you know nothing about. If you don't even know a Mac has a mouse able to right click, it's safe to say you know zero about the rest of what it does or does not do.

I asked since when, didn't I? And yeah, I admit, the last mac I used was a G5 a while ago. I don't feel the need to keep up with crap limited compatibility products.

If you took your own advice, and stayed out of discussion you knew nothing about, your post count would be around 3 right now. Wouldn't it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones