• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Make and Receive FREE calls over WiFi..No Mobile Service Required

This thread is dedicated to configuring the ATnT Fusion 2 U8665 to use SIP calling over Wifi, thus enabling you to make and Receive FREE calls over WiFi..No Mobile Service Required.

Personally, I have a rooted Fusion phone (thanks to this blog, ZeRoseDev, Cameron, and shagerty), but no further modifications.

Apparently, the Fusion 2 has been crippled by the manuf and does not have the necessary SIP Native Stack menu settings to install the SIP client account information.

That said, ZeRoseDev, has a Fusion "running CyanogenMod or ASOP version 2.3.5., that has the capability to setup SIP accounts on her modified Fusion 2 cell phone.

I want to accomplish this without any further modification of the Fusion 2, other than rooting.

Its a DONE DEAL:D. I have successfully installed Android native SIP functionality on the Fusion 2, without anything more than rooting and programming. NO CWM, no cyanogenmod, no custom ROM. Now I can add SIP accounts, to make and receive FREE calls. You can see the new Android Native SIP menus in the attached pictures. The original, stock Fusion 2 is on the left.:p

The original Fusion 2 is not crippled by the manufacturer to deny 3G SIP functionality, but your mobile provider may not allow this. If the mobile provider allows SIP over 3G, after my modifications below, your Fusion 2 will now do VOIP over Wifi AND 3G data.

Now with this functionality, I can send and receive calls from any phone, using my free DID ipKall number. This solution is NOT the GV/GrooveIP combination that depends on GV to do just plain forwarding / 2-way calling. This is true VOIP calling using Android native SIP implementation.

Attachments

• DSC00463.JPG
    DSC00463.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00466.JPG
    DSC00466.JPG
    836.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00467.JPG
    DSC00467.JPG
    826.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00471.jpg
    DSC00471.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 94
Mission accomplished:D. I have successfully installed Android native SIP functionality on the Fusion 2, without anything more than rooting and programming. NO CWM, no cyanogenmod, no custon ROM. Now I can add SIP accounts, to make and receive FREE calls. Thanks to shagerty for the root and ZeRoseDev for the support. You can see the new Android Native SIP menus in the attached pictures. The original non fixed Fusion 2 is on the left.:p

Congrats!! :D

If you have time, you should post how you accomplished this, so others can do the same thing.

This procedure documents that a stock AT&T Fusion 2 (Huawei u8665) can be safely modified to MAKE and RECEIVE FREE phone calls using SIP/VOIP, by adding the ability to install SIP accounts on the phone through newly added SIP ACCOUNT menu items. Before beginning, check for this capability on your unmodified phone by looking at *** below, and testing your menus. If these menus are already present, you do not need to perform this procedure.

Out of the box, menu items to make SIP accounts on the ATT Fusion 2 (Huawei u8665), simply do not exist. The Android Native SIP stack menus that usually allowed creation of SIP accounts were disabled at the request of AT&T to prevent users of this phone from making free VOIP calls.

The reader/user assumes all liability by using this procedure and is wholly responsible for any damages resulting from the same. Furthermore, the owner of the Fusion 2 phone acknowledges and agrees that it is possible that the procedures contained herein may void the manufacturer's warrantee, and the author of this procedure herein will not be held liable.

After making these modifications, you will be able to setup SIP accounts on your U8665 phone and with the proper SIP credentials, make/receive free calls over Wifi or thru your mobile provider's data plan. Be aware that your mobile provider may have measures in place to prevent VOIP usage over their data network and that unless you have an unlimited data plan, the cost of making VOIP calls over your mobile data connection may be expensive. Generally VOIP call over data network use 1.2Mb per minute. VOIP calls over Wifi are free.

To add these new capabilities, your Fusion phone must be rooted in order to add the necessary files to the root directory. This will not change the look or feel of your phone and you will not lose any capabilities. You must also be a super user, in order to have permissions to copy these files to the proper directory. No other modifications to the Android operating system or the phone ROM firmware are necessary.

If you are not familiar with modifying your Android phone, please read Android forums (Fusion 2 - All Things Root - Android Forums) and ask questions until you are comfortable with these procedures.

Root your AT&T Fusion 2 Huweui U8665 by using this guide:
http://androidforums.com/fusion-2-a...-step-root-walkthrough-huawei-fusion-2-a.html

Thanks to shagerty for the root procedure. Thanks to ZeRoseDev for her SIP step by step settings and advice help.

Then, install Supersu, Root Explorer, and Busybox apps (available at the Google Play store), to enable file/directory access.

Then make and copy the following TWO files into the root /system/etc/permissions directory on your phone:

Use your notepad to cut and paste the BLUE LINES below, for each file and save the file as named in the leading RED LINE (DO NOT include the RED lines)below:

File One name = android.software.sip.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Copyright (C) 2009 The Android Open Source Project

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.
-->

<!-- This is the standard set of features for devices that support SIP API. -->
<permissions>
<feature name="android.software.sip" />
</permissions>

File Two name = android.software.sip.voip.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Copyright (C) 2009 The Android Open Source Project

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.
-->

<!-- This is the standard set of features for devices that support SIP-based VoIP. -->
<permissions>
<feature name="android.software.sip" />
<feature name="android.software.sip.voip" />
</permissions>

Use the Root Explorer app on your phone to :
Copy the two files to the /system/etc/permissions directory, then
Set the permissions of these two files to rw-r--r-- (see below)
and then
Change ownership of these two files to owner = 0-Root, group = 0-root (see below)

Permissions and ownership are set using Root Explorer like this:
Set permissions and Change Owner with Root Explorer
SET PERMISSIONS:
0. Open Root Explorer
1. Browse to the file that you want to set permissions
2. Tap Mount R/W button in the upper right hand corner until it says Mount R/O
3. long press the file, a window will pop up:
(see pic 1 below)

4. Select Permissions and change them to rw-r--r--
(see pic 2 below)

then

CHANGE the OWNER of the two files you copied above to owner = 0-Root, group = 0-root
1. Browse to each of files that you want to change the owner of
2. Tap Mount R/W button in the upper right hand corner until it says Mount R/O
3. long press the file, a window will pop up, scroll down to see Change Owner:
(see pic 3 below)

change to this:
(see pic 4 below)

At this point, make sure you have completed this procedure by having copied the TWO files to the proper directory and changed the permissions and owner of both the files as directed above.

Now turn off your Fusion 2 phone. Hold volume up and power button simultaneously until it boots into recovery (15-20 seconds of holding both buttons). Reboot Device by selecting the "reboot device" option with the volume buttons (it should already start with reboot highlighted) so just press the power button to reboot. After the phone reboots you will see the following new menus: (Original Fusion on the left and Native SIP enabled Fusion 2 on the right):
(see pic 5 below)

***Now you can press SETTINGS on your phone, then CALL SETTINGS, then CALL FEATURE SETTINGS, and scroll down to the bottom, under INTERNET CALL SETTINGS, press the ACCOUNTS to setup your SIP account calling settings.
(see pic 6 below)

there are more SIP account setting under each Account you setup, press Optional Settings and see:
(see pic 7 below)

You can also see that you can setup Receiving Internet calls:
(see pic 8 below)

and that you can use Wifi and/or your mobile data network, worldwide!:
(see pic 9 below)

Actually setting up your SIP account parameters is not part of the scope of this procedure.

Now, AT&T Fusion 2 Huawei U8665 users do not have to worry about VOIP being enabled over Wifi or 3G in the original ROM. In the Fusion 2, VOIP is now enable for both Wifi and 3G.

procedure by:

captain77450;)

Android Forums - View Profile: captain77450

This procedure is not to be reproduced, in whole or in part for any commercial purposes and can be freely used by Android Forum users.

If you find my procedure helpful, please say Thanks at:
http://androidforums.com/fusion-2-a...lls-over-wifi-no-mobile-service-required.html

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 92
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 120
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 94
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 87
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 105
  • pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 99
  • pic 7.jpg
    pic 7.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 106
  • pic 8.jpg
    pic 8.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 86
  • pic 9.jpg
    pic 9.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 129
Beautifully written and easy to understand.

Thank you for taking the time to write this guide, I am certain a LOT of people will benefit from this information.

Awesome contribution!!

:D

If I get another Fusion 2, I will absolutely try this.
(Mine was stolen today)

I am sorry to hear about your phone. If you had LOOKOUT installed on it like I do, you could trace it using GPS and find the thief....or remotely WIPE or LOCK it......much like an apple. If it does not turn up, I suggest you report it stolen to T-Mobile so they can BLACKLIST it and then it will not be worth anything to the thief.

Hey,

The password for the download does not work.

I've tried from several browsers, and have had a few friends try from their PC.

Thank you again.

If you don't care about keeping the stock 2.3.6 ROM, like I did, having (unofficial) CyanogenMod 7.2 already adds this, just have to find out how to use the SIP phone xd

is this a statement? or are you asking for help? what phone do you have?
No I was saying CM7.2 has SIP settings and how all I need is to find a SIP provider, and it's also an AT&T Huawei Fusion 2 U8665

Edit: found Linphone, but I kinda want one that lets me call any number, kinda like a regular carrier number. Seeing how VoIP can do so, so I'm still trying to find a provider for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom