• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Message alert icon shows I have a message when I don't

Awesomeman

May 23, 2010
I've been having a problem with my desire home screen (in particular the sms icon) and I'm wondering if anyone else knows how to fix it.

Recently my messages icon has been showing the little "1" in a green circle indicating I have an unread message. Problem is, I've gone through every list of messages I have on the device and there are no messages I haven't read and the "1" stays there. The only ways I've found to get rid of it are to either delete the icon and then put it back or to use Advance Task Killer and kill messages application. I'm not using any fancy apps for messages, just the default one.

My email counter is always perfect, this only seems to affect my sms. Also, my girlfriend told me she sent me a message a few days ago, but I never received it. Not sure if that's a happy coincidence, or if the phone got the message, is telling me I haven't read it, but isn't displaying it for me to see. All the other messages from her are plainly visible.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think its a bug.
I get that sometimes when I get a text and I read it but the 1 is still there.
Also after reading a new sms, the icon on the notification bar stays there too but thats easy to remove as u just press clear.

Also noticed sometimes I cant add anything to my homescreens. I press and hold and it comes up with the usual menu for widget, program etc but when I select something nothing happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones