• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] IMPORTANT - please read if you're thinking about updating

tiede

Android Expert
It would appear that some metroPCS sgs3s are falsely reporting an available update from Samsung.
However, experience has proven that this update is actually meant for US CELLULAR devices.

If your metro sgs3 is prompting you to update your device, I urge you to reconsider.
DO NOT, I repeat, do not proceed with the update.
Doesn't matter if you are rooted or not.
The update will make your device malfunction and you will need to flash it back to stock or exchange it at metro.

You don't want this. Don't update. Just wait it out until Samsung fixes their mistake and silence the update messages.

Various phones are already not working because of that glitch, don't be the next statistic. Don't update. Tell a friend not to update.

And stay classy my friends.

It would appear that some metroPCS sgs3s are falsely reporting an available update from Samsung.
However, experience has proven that this update is actually meant for US CELLULAR devices.

If your metro sgs3 is prompting you to update your device, I urge you to reconsider.
The update will make your device malfunction and you will need to flash it back to stock or exchange it at metro.

You don't want this. Don't update. Just wait it out until Samsung fixes their mistake and silence the update messages.

Various phones are already not working because of that glitch, don't be the next statistic. Don't update. Tell a friend not to update.

I really wish this post was up little bit earlier:(:(:( I am one of those victims going to metropcs tomorrow I hope they will fix this problem and I will tell them to warn people too

What's that?! I can't read you. Got this annoying ass update message keep popping up getting in the way. Let press ok to get rid of it real quick.

lol I was 1st to get the glitch...

i updated when i got the phone i havnt had any probs i assumed it was a much needed update then when i got home i did root and cwm and im jiffy so far lol

i updated when i got the phone i havnt had any probs i assumed it was a much needed update then when i got home i did root and cwm and im jiffy so far lol
i do not think its all phones.. when i called Samsung Tech thay told me my serial number on there end might of been link to us cellular so when i did the update it pulled the US Cellular zip... Like i told someone else last night I really think samsung was short on phones so they reflashed some over stock US Cellular phones.. And it's hard to get Metropcs to beleve us...:mad:

well im the type that hates seeing notifications on my toolbar call it a habbit but i always gotta get it cleared so i did the update and rebooted phone im fine. not sure what update do for other people im guess im lucky i remember with the esteem last year all those that go it first got faulty phones that kept rebooting and what not lol mine were one of the few that were fine. woot and again im all good!

I had the notification for the update. Clicked it right away but then it said I didn't need it. Guess I might have been lucky?

www.shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Samsung/Metro/R530M/Cyanogenmod/CM10/Build.prop-edited.zip

here is a modded build.prop, i edited where it should be looking to present you with an update and a few other things but shouldnt stop/mess anything else up

how do you flash this??? still not sure if i going to root this phone my new one should be here at 1pm... but if my next one gets f. up i would like to fix it than wait 3 more days like i just did... i wish you had this fix sat.lol .... ps there is one more thing that update f. up it take all hidden menu away and take out APN under setings.. i know there is more it does but seeing i only had the phone for 3 hrs b/4 the update i don't remember what was on the phone in the 1st place...

sorry, didnt think metro/samsung would be so stupid as to cross software. its a modified build.prop it will put a new one on that will block any and all updates so you dont have to worry. you flash it in TWRP/CWM just like any rom :)

P.S. i included my own personal ringtone as well. credit for the track goes to n4zty for having some nice sounding tracks on his soundcloud :)

I had the notification for the update. Clicked it right away but then it said I didn't need it. Guess I might have been lucky?

Same here. It notified me of an update as soon as I started using the phone, then said I didn't need it either. No issues here.

any way to remove this "Software Update" from the notifications bar other than clicking on it? it's annoying the hell out of me...

I just got my phone wed night and as soon as I turned my phone on it sayed software update I sayed wat the hell so I clicked on it and sayed i didn't need it, so im guessing im one of the lucky ones Two lol :)

I just got my phone wed night and as soon as I turned my phone on it sayed software update I sayed wat the hell so I clicked on it and sayed i didn't need it, so im guessing im one of the lucky ones Two lol :)
Got mine on friday, & it did the same thing as soon as I turned it on. Did what you did & the same thing happened....didn't need it.

What's up Pnizzle. Know you from Esteem forums. I feel like I just woke up from the dark ages. This baby is freaking awesome. Running stock right now, just to get used to it.

One question, is the CM10 ROM an actual jelly bean update, or do I have to wait for Metro to update.

Got mine on friday, & it did the same thing as soon as I turned it on. Did what you did & the same thing happened....didn't need it.

What's up Pnizzle. Know you from Esteem forums. I feel like I just woke up from the dark ages. This baby is freaking awesome. Running stock right now, just to get used to it.

One question, is the CM10 ROM an actual jelly bean update, or do I have to wait for Metro to update.

Glad you join us almost all of us came from the esteem too you are right I thought the esteem was nice until I got this monster you will love all 3 roms we have gotta like the dev support too :D

Glad you join us almost all of us came from the esteem too you are right I thought the esteem was nice until I got this monster you will love all 3 roms we have gotta like the dev support too :D
I seen a few of your posts on Esteem. I told n4zty that if the devs here are anything like they were on Esteem, then we are in for some fun times lol. Will probably root my baby this weekend. Have everything all set up on my laptop. Just want to get used to the thing first lol.
I do wish some of the better devs from Esteem, like ldrifta, would come here. His rom for the esteem is awesome.

I seen a few of your posts on Esteem. I told n4zty that if the devs here are anything like they were on Esteem, then we are in for some fun times lol. Will probably root my baby this weekend. Have everything all set up on my laptop. Just want to get used to the thing first lol.
I do wish some of the better devs from Esteem, like ldrifta, would come here. His rom for the esteem is awesome.

Yeah we will have fun here too rooting this beast is super easy hey even I did it lol

Back
Top Bottom