• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] [STOCK][ODIN][TAR] Return to stock non-root

tiede

Android Expert
For some unknown reason, my tar did not successfully get built.
In the mean time, use this → http://androidforums.com/metropcs-g...oot/640679-stock-metro-stock-rooted-twrp.html
There is currently no ODIN flashabe package for the metroSGSIII to go back to stock. I'll hit up some research, and I've asked for help as well.
The OP will be updated as soon as one becomes available. Sorry :(
In the meantime, you can work in a terminal with this tar file to copy over the system files to your phone to return to stock if you can't get TWRP to work for you. But consider this LAST resort.
It uses very low-level commands that will only be provided on a per-request basis, or you can look it up yourself online.
Any ways, here is the tar I'm working with: →NotFlashableInODIN.tar
Yay!
A few users have reported this may not be working as I hoped.
A new upload will be available soon. Can't right now though, I'm working...
Maybe by Thursday. But no promises on ETAs.

Stock unrooted flash image is not yet available!
Please use → this link ← to download the broken one (It might take you a while, the file is 1.7 Gb large!)

WARNING: This image is not fully tested. I'd rather have n4zty, and people with TWRP/CWM recoveries available, and comfortable with reflashing stuff, test this first to ensure it works fine, and then report the outcome.

Once I receive confirmation on it, I will update this post with a proper how to.
But, as of now, consider this image for advanced users only.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

As a token to appease your anger over this and calm your impulse to chop my head off, I'm posting here a zip containing all the interesting/noticeable stock apps.
You can grab it by following →this link right here.←

You may also follow this link for the metroPCS stock bloatware: http://db.tt/G8IDBDnE
-- tiede

Downloading now. Will experiment, and report my results.

I'm willing to provide a mirror as well. 100Mbps, Chicago DC.

-removed-

I'll re-upload to provide a fast mirror once a working, legal copy is made.

thank you for this I rooted my phone but now I need to take it to a service center because I can't connect to 4g at all only 3g.. and I need to flash this.... can anyone confirm this is ok to flash?

thank you for this I rooted my phone but now I need to take it to a service center because I can't connect to 4g at all only 3g.. and I need to flash this.... can anyone confirm this is ok to flash?
if you didi it over the air like i did then there's a posibilty that ur iccid/sim card didn't go thru the system so either call Customer support or go to a local PCS and tell them to checked that first. Sorry for thread jack! nice info OP btw :)

Due to the ambiguous nature of the laws in the US, it might have been illegal to flash my complete tar in the US. Therefore, I've modified it slightly, by excluding the efs partition, to keep every one in the clear.

original file updated.

efs partition removed
Do not ask for it to be included at this time, as it may (or may not) be illegal, according to some us laws.
It depends on the effect of flashing it on the phone.
Therefore, should you be at all concerned about your efs partition going kookoo for cocoa puffs, I suggest you make a backup of it using this command in an adb shell:
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs bs=4096

In fact, I recommend everyone with root and/or who might consider flashing a new ROM makes a copy of it, just in case, and keeps it safe.

DISCLAIMER: You will need to be rooted for this command to complete.
NOTE: The dd command makes a "copy" of a disk location to another location. It's a very low-level tool used by the linux kernel itself. Therefore, please use it with care and follow instructions as given, without modifying it. I'd say just copy and paste it to ensure peace of mind, instead of typing it yourself.
NOTE 2: The dd command will appear to just "hang"/"sit" there, because it doesn't give any user noticeable feedback of what it's doing. Just be patient, it will let you know when it finishes. ;)

Just try it.com and let us know! Lol
But yeah, as I replied in the other thread, if you are this desperate, then do a factory data reset.
Oh, and make sure afterwards, settings-> about phone-> device state does not say “modified"

Back to stock and a second pull it is for me!
Man, I wish someone had tested this sooner...
I'll pulled the files again using different parameters to dd and see what gives.

lol tiede only way i would of tested this sooner is if i needed to flash back to stock but my phone been running like a brand new bently on 24s lol

I was stuck at work extra hours the past few days. Got promoted. New responsibilities...
But today I'm planning on working on that backup and will post it as soon as I get done!
Sorry for the dud... :(

Back
Top Bottom