• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] [STOCK][ODIN][TAR] Return to stock non-root

A few goodies to hold you all over while the new tar is uploading...
boot.bin in case you REALLY F things up → boot.bin
speaking of f'ing things up, this would probably be something you'd be looking for as well, or at least will look for when someone says. You did WHAT NOW? Oh noes... :D
A nice little PIT file for you. Bad ODIN user. Bad. bad. now lick you paw and use this to fix your partitions!
the pitfile → d2mtr.pit

A few goodies to hold you all over while the new tar is uploading...
boot.bin in case you REALLY F things up → boot.bin
speaking of f'ing things up, this would probably be something you'd be looking for as well, or at least will look for when someone says. You did WHAT NOW? Oh noes... :D
A nice little PIT file for you. Bad ODIN user. Bad. bad. now lick you paw and use this to fix your partitions!
the pitfile → d2mtr.pit

Nice double nice thx

Thanks to all of you awesome bros everything is coming together, now hopefully chainfire will make the traingleway support our s3 so we can delete the flash count, that is in case metropcs becomes too smart and checks that lol before giving replacement. Hey honestly we only go to replace the phone when its actually a real screwed up problem that cant be fixed so thanks a lot guys this is awesome looks like me holding of the rooting paid off lol.

So... that's it. I'm bailing out.
I've tried every tutorial on the net, changed the method I used to dd the images, changed block size on the copy, changed the naming scheme of the resulting files, changed the version of ODIN I'm using, changed the program used to tar the files (actually I even changed the OS used to tar the files)...
No matter what I do, I can't get the resulting tar to flash to the device.
The phone aborts the process before the first flash begins to get written with the error message "unsupport dev_type"... whatever that means.
I found an elusive mention on XDA about it (ONE) where someone suggested that it may happen because they were flashing the boot image over a locked bootloader (VZW SGSIII). Well, our bootloader is NOT locked, and I'm NOT flashing boot... so that didn't help.
So, I'm going to upload the tar, and hope someone with better brains than me figures out how to make an odin-flashable package out of it. :(

Lord knows I tried. :-/
It's just strange. I tried the same with my old trusty indulge, and had zero problems making the tar...

so, if you've a better brain, go play with → this nonOdin compatible tar ← and I'll give you some of my leftover halloween candy if you get it to work... :D (please wait until after 2:00AM, Nov 2nd to dl the file, just in case. It should be done uploading to DB by then...)

As a token to appease your anger over this and calm your impulse to chop my head off, I'm posting here a zip containing all the interesting/noticeable stock apps.
You can grab it by following the link in the OP

I added proper instructions to the [Stock] Metro Stock Rooted TWRP thread....This is how to safely revert to stock rooted

PLEASE UPDATE THE OP (The proper instructions)
1) Download and flash the TWRP recovery in the first post ( If you don't know how to, google it)
2) Boot into recovery (volume up + home + power..release all 3 as soon as you see the Samsung logo), select backup, choose external sd card, swipe to start backup
3) Reboot the phone
4) Download the metro-S3-stock.rar file from above to your computer and extract it
5) Plug your phone into the computer and open the external sd card
6) On the sd card, open the TWRP folder, open the backup folder, and open the next folder
7) Drag the metro-S3-stock folder that you extracted from your computer into the open folder on your external sd card (you will now see 2 folders.. "metro-S3-stock" and one other (the backup you just made)
8) Power down phone and boot into recovery
9) Select "wipe"..wipe data/factory reset, then wipe cache, then wipe dalvik cache
10) Go back, choose restore, make sure external sd is selected, select "metro-S3-stock" and slide the bar to flash

Congratulations..you are done. Give it time to boot..If it doesn't boot all the way the first time, redo steps 8-10

Thanks for the writeup. Since this thread was not originally meant for the twrp way, and the op links to it, I'll defer to them updating their op for proper instructions on using it to return to stock.

ok so i took teh time to download the tar. you have teh file names with partitions in em. for odin to work they need to be named exactly what they need to be

I tried without the partition names, same thing. It wouldn't flash. Actually, I put the partition names on that pull because over at xda, they started doing that for backups...

will the 'delete the su binary file and factory reset' method work on all android phones or just the sgs3? specifically lg connect 4g and samsung galaxy indulge.

I use to unroot my Samy Admire and LG Esteem by deleting the SU binary and Superuse apk from the system folders and then doing a factory reset with no problems can I do the samething with my Samy GS3 or not?

If you are already on stock, with stock recovery, then yes. You may do that, and it will be unrooted.

Reactions: GJC
Is there a wright up on how to use odin to go to stock unrooted?
I have been searching for a link.

Odin is being a b**** with our phones and won't accept a custom generated image for flashing (technically, it's the phone that doesn't accept the image, but that's not that relevant).
So nobody has a flashable stock working in odin. Sorry.

Btw, could someone PLEASE post their result of using this method to return to stock in Odin, so I can update the OP and post proper instructions to return to "bone stock" metro sgs3?
That way I can take away that big old red warning at the top...
downloading now, will give it a go. standby

Back
Top Bottom