• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS & T-Mobile] New Full v10J ROM Flashable *Updated 9/26/2015*

@GameTheory i have this zip MS631_v10i_8-20-2015.zip can it be ok to post.
Not to be rude but i dont think he would mind seeing how this is a problem for multiple people. Also links posted
Couple things to note...

1. Do not flash the v10j kdz because we do not know if it patches root or locks the bootloader. Chances are that it doesn't, but do you really want to be the guy to find out?

2. File size does not matter. Android File Host(AFH) will always have a different size than your android file manager because AFH rounds off. The way you check zip integrity is by matching the md5 with the one listed on AFH. On linux you run this command (md5sum NameOfFile.zip), don't know about windows or anything else.

Anyways, Myself and other folks flashed the v10J zip I posted and worked fine so I don't have any input on your issue aside from what the good folks here already said.

One last point to make @Deez Robotnik, If you remember from the other thread I told you the only way to update at the time to v10i was with the kdz. I only posted flashable zips cause you kept on about not having a PC. When I suggested you ask a friend or family member to use their PC to flash the kdz, you said I was rude for doing so. Well I still suggest that.

v10i zips are here:
Metro pcs
T-mobile

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Not to be rude but i dont think he would mind seeing how this is a problem for multiple people. Also links posted
The other user already posted in this thread . also this user also asked if anyone has a copy of the v10i.zip

Anywayz .. @GameTheory , Thanks alot i hope this works is all i can say other than 2 facts. We live in a world with selfish people so if a person doesn't have a Pc it is not always an option for a person to use someone else's my boss doesn't even have a PC. Another thing is it seems easier to flash the update.zip from twrp anyway why use a PC when you can do it from your phone. Its kinda like Tape Vs Cd.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat,exactly.
Tried wipes/two different backups will not boot properly,stays in a brickloop w/the LG Splashscreen.
D/L the update twice,same size,1.1GB on MetroPCS,double-checked to ensure it was for my phone.
For whatever reason,my PC/Phone don't act together properly,cannot use GT's flashtool,doesn't work on my PC.
Gonna try the PC's at work this weekend.
The link for the 10.i update.zip (MetroPCS) is gone,anybody here have it?
I'm OK until I get this resolved,I have a couple other devices,just wanna get this one back up sometime in the future.
THX!
@KOLIO was the other person btw.

Upvote 0
The other user already posted in this thread . also this user also asked if anyone has a copy of the v10i.zip

Anywayz .. @GameTheory , Thanks alot i hope this works is all i can say other than 2 facts. We live in a world with selfish people so if a person doesn't have a Pc it is not always an option for a person to use someone else's my boss doesn't even have a PC. Another thing is it seems easier to flash the update.zip from twrp anyway why use a PC when you can do it from your phone. Its kinda like Tape Vs Cd.

You can't compare "tape vs cd" to flashing firmware on android. There can be too many anomalies with android. For example from v10i and on LG started providing support for the new hardware in the new stylo revision which comes with cheeper hardware. Something LG did to cut cost on the Stylo. Before the hardware was manufactured by LG and now its outsourced to another manufacturer. Anyways, this is what's been at the root of the issues and why kdz was the recommended way since it flashes properly no matter which revision you have.

Reactions: Deez Robotnik
Upvote 0
You can't compare "tape vs cd" to flashing firmware on android. There can be too many anomalies with android. For example from v10i and on LG started providing support for the new hardware in the new stylo revision which comes with cheeper hardware. Something LG did to cut cost on the Stylo. Before the hardware was manufactured by LG and now its outsourced to another manufacturer. Anyways, this is what's been at the root of the issues and why kdz was the recommended way since it flashes properly no matter which revision you have.
I honestly appreciate your reply @GameTheory i did not know that . so basically the new lg g stylo's come with cheaper hardware not manufactures by lg ?

Upvote 0
Question . . . will flashing back to v10i fix the bootloop problem? Im pretty sure you know the answer as you are an amazing developer.

Upvote 0
I honestly appreciate your reply @GameTheory i did not know that . so basically the new lg g stylo's come with cheaper hardware not manufactures by lg ?

As far as I know they have cheaper panels. The panels was discovered in the source code by "Unjustified Dev". He ran diff program between the old code and the new code.

Question . . . will flashing back to v10i fix the bootloop problem? Im pretty sure you know the answer as you are an amazing developer.

I haven't been in your particular situation, but if I had to guess I would say yes.

Upvote 0
Couple things to note...

And I'll add 1 more thing as well.

1- if the user is using/have flash the v10i before flashing this update you will end up with boot loop , why? Because v10i flashable zip isn't full v10i update have No new kernel and modem b'cuz causes bootloop/soft-brick.

2. This v10j flashable zip (thanks @GameTheory ) if full update and contains everything, if you dont come from full v10i you are going to end up with boot loop (this is already been known since v10i flashable zip)

3. You want v10j? Use the KDZ.

4. if you find out v10j is unrootable or bootloader lock and want v10j just use v10i KDZ and root and so on and you can safely flash this update zip from GT.

PS. @GameTheory Can you link the v10j for Metro? So i can update my thread :) thank you

Reactions: Krlypumaa and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Couple things to note...

1. Do not flash the v10j kdz because we do not know if it patches root or locks the bootloader. Chances are that it doesn't, but do you really want to be the guy to find out?

If I can get to a PC to load up & run the v10j kdz,I'll try it out.Not worried about the chance of permanently locking up the bootloader/etc.... it's all good either way.
If I succeed in flashing the v10j kdz,I'll post here w/results.

2. File size does not matter. Android File Host(AFH) will always have a different size than your android file manager because AFH rounds off. The way you check zip integrity is by matching the md5 with the one listed on AFH. On linux you run this command (md5sum NameOfFile.zip), don't know about windows or anything else.

Anyways, Myself and other folks flashed the v10J zip I posted and worked fine so I don't have any input on your issue aside from what the good folks here already said.

v10i zips are here:
Metro pcs
T-mobile

Good luck.
Gonna give this a go,BRB..........

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
And I'll add 1 more thing as well.

1- if the user is using/have flash the v10i before flashing this update you will end up with boot loop , why? Because v10i flashable zip isn't full v10i update have No new kernel and modem b'cuz causes bootloop/soft-brick.

2. This v10j flashable zip (thanks @GameTheory ) if full update and contains everything, if you dont come from full v10i you are going to end up with boot loop (this is already been known since v10i flashable zip)

3. You want v10j? Use the KDZ.

4. if you find out v10j is unrootable or bootloader lock and want v10j just use v10i KDZ and root and so on and you can safely flash this update zip from GT.

PS. @GameTheory Can you link the v10j for Metro? So i can update my thread :) thank you
Is the new kernel & modem better? I don't have a PC to flash the kdz so I guess I'm flat out of v10j.. Also going back and flashing v10i worked.

Reactions: Krlypumaa and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Just a FYI:
I attempted to dirty flash v10j .zip (no wipe over clean new clean v10i .zip,no user data other than WI-FI & LG user agreement):
Nada,didn't take,but,no ill effects either,still on v10i ,which is perfectly OK.
But,since I have a sale pending on this phone,I'd like to get on a PC that's agreeable w/my phone & flash the factory stock v10j kdz,so y'all will know whether it got locked down/unrootable w/the latest update.
I should have access to one other than my home PC by 9/28,I'll update at that time.

Upvote 0
Just a FYI:
I attempted to dirty flash v10j .zip (no wipe over clean new clean v10i .zip,no user data other than WI-FI & LG user agreement):
Nada,didn't take,but,no ill effects either,still on v10i ,which is perfectly OK.
But,since I have a sale pending on this phone,I'd like to get on a PC that's agreeable w/my phone & flash the factory stock v10j kdz,so y'all will know whether it got locked down/unrootable w/the latest update.
I should have access to one other than my home PC by 9/28,I'll update at that time.

why are you selling it?

Upvote 0
Okay guys I've skimmed through and I have a couple of questions.
  1. I'm on 10d (my phone came on that version) an I rooted installed TWRP. Can I jump ahead to the 10J or do I have to do 10i then 10J?
  2. If I can jump ahead on the update I'd follow instructions on flashing the update then root, would this method not erase anything nothing like a factory reset right?
Thanks GT, and anyone who answers as I need to make sure what I'm doing before I mess up anything o_O

Upvote 0
Okay guys I've skimmed through and I have a couple of questions.
  1. I'm on 10d (my phone came on that version) an I rooted installed TWRP. Can I jump ahead to the 10J or do I have to do 10i then 10J?
  2. If I can jump ahead on the update I'd follow instructions on flashing the update then root, would this method not erase anything nothing like a factory reset right?
Thanks GT, and anyone who answers as I need to make sure what I'm doing before I mess up anything o_O

1. Yes, you can update from 10d to 10J with the kdz method listed in the first post.
2. Yes, this will do a complete factory reset. Before updating backup any photos or important files from your internal sd. Then go into twrp and do a backup. Then follow the kdz guide. Then root and install twrp. Finally go into twrp and restore "data" only from your backup to get your user apps and settings back.

Upvote 0
Thanks GT! It was pretty simple just had to setup xposed again and some other minor tweaks (Build prop, fonts,emoji.) Pretty cool that this patched stage fright. Is that all there was to this update? Thansk again :D
Just now seeing there's a 10J I'll do a diff on the kernel and proprietary files and report back.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
New Update

Changes:
  • Full update to v10J no matter what firmware version you're on
  • Rom comes rooted so you don't need to root or re-install twrp
  • Zip auto wipes cache and dalvik so you don't need to wipe anything
  • Just flash the zip and you're done
You can flash this over my old v10i as well.

;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is great. And right on time lol Thanks@gametheory idk how you do it , but u stepped it up this time.
New Update

Changes:
  • Full update to v10J no matter what firmware version you're on
  • Rom comes rooted so you don't need to root or re-install twrp
  • Zip auto wipes cache and dalvik so you don't need to wipe anything
  • Just flash the zip and you're done
You can flash this over my old v10i as well.

;)

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones