• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MicroSD slot on hotspots

freakshow85

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2013
Just curious if anyone knew what the MicroSD card slots were for on hotspots. For example, I have a ZTE 228L that has a slot for a MicroSD card. Is it nothing more than an SD adapter for your computer if you plug the hotspot in via USB? I've searched around here and there... nothing really about it that I saw. I'm probably overthinking it, as if it was anything to do with caching to increase performance, etc., it'd be a lot more like common knowledge.

I'm a bit confused by your post. What do you mean by "hotspot"? To me that's a WiFi station, but that doesn't make much sense for the rest of the post, so I'm going to guess that you meant to write "handset" instead. Please accept my apologies if you really do mean hotspot, but in that case can you explain in a bit more detail what you are asking?

The SD slot in a phone is just for storage on that device. If you connect the phone to a computer via USB you should be able to copy data to/from the card. That's it.

Caching to a removable SD card would do the opposite of improving performance - microSD cards are slower than the internal storage, and a lot slower than RAM. The phone just keeps apps cached in RAM, clearing them if the space is needed for anything else.

Upvote 0
Here's the guide I found, others look about the same -

http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/pdf/ZTE_Unite2_File_sharing.pdf

Thanks, again. I've searched all through my hotspot's interface through the web browser for anything to do with the microSD card slot previously, and now, again. I can't find anything to do with using the microSD card on my particular ZTE 228 model, but I can browse the card if plugged into my PC via USB. So, I guess my model doesn't have the fancy WiFi sharing option :-(
Of course, I've been known to overlook things right under my nose.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones