• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile World Congress 2014

Lol uploadfromtaptalk1393274685112.jpg

Upvote 0
Wish theyd dropped that physical home button. Is there any good reason for it?

I aways thought it was a good anchor point for phone orientation when you grab it really quick (I've held some of my phones upside down for a few seconds until I realized it). LOL It makes a good physical panic button that is always there when something goes wrong too.

The Sony Xperia Z2 sounds great! Hoping they release it in the U.S. Does the Dragontail glass used on Xperia phones really hold up or does it break as easily as any glass when dropped? That would be my only concern with this phone (never owned a Sony).

Also, a little underwelmed by the Galaxy S5. I was hoping it would at least have a bigger battery (with LG and Sony flagship phones having 3,000 mAh or bigger batteries -- I was hoping that was the start of a new trend).

Upvote 0
Does the Dragontail glass used on Xperia phones really hold up or does it break as easily as any glass when dropped?

It's a chemical treatment that hardens the top molecular layer of the glass, similar to Corning's 'Gorilla Glass', but it doesn't make it any more shock-resistant.

I was hoping it would at least have a bigger battery (with LG and Sony flagship phones having 3,000 mAh or bigger batteries -- I was hoping that was the start of a new trend).

Capacity isn't everything, especially if Samsung's "Ultra Power-Saving Mode" lives up to the hype.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Yeah im not a fan of glass backs although they do look great. was it the nexus 4 that had lower strength glass at the back than the front?
Think id always use a case anyway. My lil case has definately saved my samsung from disaster.
Id really grudge putting a case on a sexy phone like the sonys though :)

So how does the water resistance work on the s5 since it still has removable back plate?

Upvote 0
We suspect that many will look to Sony as having the better design and materials, but never underestimate the appeal of a changeable battery. Both devices are water-resistant, with the SGS5 offering IP67 and the Z2 with IPX5 and IPX8 protection.

Basically, the Z2 is more resistant. You can submerse it in water whereas, in the keynote, the S5 is said to be OKAY for spills or rain and thats about it.
Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2: What's the difference? - Pocket-lint

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Dunno. If you just pull your sleeve back without bringing the arm across in front of your face it's probably quite readable, as those are big digits.

Would be great if you could select some alternatives though. An obvious one would be hours above minutes, and use the space below for next appointment/weather report/message counts/whatever. If you could replace the clock display with a Zooper widget you'd be sorted (if it ran Android I'd mail Samsung and suggest they license it ;)).

The hardware is much the nicest smart watch design I've seen - a big step up by Samsung there. If you put the right software into it that could work really well. Unfortunately Samsung are not the first company I think of when someone says "good software design".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones