• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moto E(4) Plus "owens" - All Things Root Guide

I hate to sound ******** but where it says "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and I downloaded recovery_owens-110418.img do I need to change it to that and do I need to put the .img in a certain location on my desktop ?

I hate to sound ******** but where it says "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and I downloaded recovery_owens-110418.img do I need to change it to that and do I need to put the .img in a certain location on my desktop ?
Either change the file name to recovery.img and use that same command or change the command to fastboot flash recovery recovery_owens-110418.img. Open the command window where ever you have the recovery if your system is set up to do that, or move the recovery to where you have fastboot installed.

I hate to sound ******** but where it says 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' and I downloaded recovery_owens-110418.img do I need to change it to that and do I need to put the .img in a certain location on my desktop ?

I usually just change the name to twrp.img and enter:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Put the recovery into the fastboot folder if using Windows..

you guys ROCK! ok doing backup to a sd card I pulled out of my DSLR camera lol now the big question what rom is the most stable and fingerprint works and update prl works and is pre rooted?

Last edited:
ok have a little problem when I try to wipe the caches i get red text says failed to mount storage failed to wipe davilk just off hand when first boot into TWRP it ask for password to dycrypt ? i leave blank

here is a video hope it helps
and the twrp wont stick because i cant wipe cache

Last edited:
ok have a little problem when I try to wipe the caches i get red text says failed to mount storage failed to wipe davilk just off hand when first boot into TWRP it ask for password to dycrypt ? i leave blank

here is a video hope it helps
and the twrp wont stick because i cant wipe cache
You need to make sure you select the option to let TWRP modify the system when you first boot to it. If it doesn't have those permissions it won't work right. If you didn't already you'll need to format data to remove the forced encryption and then reboot twrp and allow it to modify system when asked. Make sure you copy anything on your internal storage to your PC or a USB flash drive or you'll lose it all when formatting data. All the ROMs that have threads are stable and the finger print sensor works. The only two that have the latest security patch that I know of if that is a concern are my LineageOS and AEX. I'm not positive about the security patch level on all of @bcrichsters.
Edit: with stock you need to flash a zip to remove dmverity and forced encryption or it will either not boot or re-encrypt itself when rebooting after wiping data. There should be a link in this thread op. If not, check my stock rom thread.

You need to make sure you select the option to let TWRP modify the system when you first boot to it. If it doesn't have those permissions it won't work right. If you didn't already you'll need to format data to remove the forced encryption and then reboot twrp and allow it to modify system when asked. Make sure you copy anything on your internal storage to your PC or a USB flash drive or you'll lose it all when formatting data. All the ROMs that have threads are stable and the finger print sensor works. The only two that have the latest security patch that I know of if that is a concern are my LineageOS and AEX. I'm not positive about the security patch level on all of @bcrichsters.
Edit: with stock you need to flash a zip to remove dmverity and forced encryption or it will either not boot or re-encrypt itself when rebooting after wiping data. There should be a link in this thread op. If not, check my stock rom thread.
how do I know what to format? once it's formated I will have to install a rom correct because everthing will be wiped? and will the format have to be done in fast boot? or Twrp ounce I re flash it?

Last edited:
1528673789481.jpg 1528673802176.jpg
how do I know what to format? once it's formated I will have to install a rom correct because everthing will be wiped? and will the format have to be done in fast boot? or Twrp ounce I re flash it?
Boot to TWRP, click wipe, click the big red format data button and reboot recovery. It will not erase your rom, only your apps that aren't system apps and all data from all apps on your phone along with what is on internal storage like pictures and stuff. All this should be in the op of this thread or found in a link in the op.

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a rom that everything works ? since you guys probably tried them all what ones do you recomend ? their's so many I don't know what to choose

is there a rom that everything works ? since you guys probably tried them all what ones do you recomend ? their's so many I don't know what to choose
I did already say that all the roms with their own thread have everything working. I recommend trying all of them and picking your favorite. I don't like to say any rom is better than another.

help something went wrong i did a back up but i think it failed then i did the wipe and failed to mount invalid argument then I could not boot phone then i tryied a restore and it boot loops in moto screen then I tried to wipe again and install linageOS https://photos.app.goo.gl/2VDvtEAase3Ui4qG7 help is it bricked
frown.png

You should be OK, just might need to reinstall the Stock OS via fastboot and try again. Also, restoring an encrypted backup will give ya those issues as well.. Make a backup AFTER ya wipe encryption to reduce any problems

I dont belive it after I installed factory image and then did a system update it went into android update restart now it wont power up!

Which Moto Firmware package did'ja use? I seen someone the other day used that EXACT SAME LINK you just posted and had installed the wrong Firmware. This isn't the 1st, second, or even the 3rd time it's happened. Hence, why I made the thread for us Boost Mobile guys..

So is that XDA link useful, or does it in fact cause a bricked phone? If the latter, then I'll remove the post.

It seems to be a problem for XT1775 & XT1776 users as there a some differences that make a big deal, which is what my ROMs and threads are for. Yes, I think it needs removed.. Thank you in advance

i used this one OWENS_NPR26.58-25_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xm

THAT'S WHY I MADE MY THREAD with specific instructions for our devices.. If you can access bootloader/fastboot mode, then use my Back to Stock thread I linked in this OP and ya should be good to go..

luckly its less then a week old so I contacted the place I bought it and told them is was doing a update and wont turn on they said bring it in will give you another

Back
Top Bottom