• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moto E(4) Plus "owens" - All Things Root Guide

first off safe to say do not use the newest TWRP and stick with the old one? and if I want to just root the phone not install a new rom I can just wipe the caches ? and flash Madisk ? do I need to flash any thing besides that?

first off safe to say do not use the newest TWRP and stick with the old one? and if I want to just root the phone not install a new rom I can just wipe the caches ? and flash Madisk ? do I need to flash any thing besides that?
The only thing not working with the new TWRP is formatting data. Otherwise everything works fine. If you want to keep stock and just start from scratch all you need to do is wipe data or factory reset and install Magisk and a zip to disable dmverity/forceenctyption. Or if you want to keep your device encrypted, there is a zip to disable dmverity and keep encryption optional. It's all in the O.P.

The only thing not working with the new TWRP is formatting data. Otherwise everything works fine. If you want to keep stock and just start from scratch all you need to do is wipe data or factory reset and install Magisk and a zip to disable dmverity/forceenctyption. Or if you want to keep your device encrypted, there is a zip to disable dmverity and keep encryption optional. It's all in the O.P.
could you point me to the locations ? for the downloads I tried this twrp his 2018 one and its not booting into recovery https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e4/how-to/moto-e-guide-to-rooting-t3652982

That may very well be because that thread is for the Moto E4 Perry not the E4 Plus Owens. Do you have an Owens, or a Perry? What is the model number (XTxxxx)?
ok I do have ownes and downloaded the correct one I think it's installed and did the no optifiy and magisk its now reinstall all my crap from google then will install the magisk manager cross fingers

You should have the Magisk apk installed if you flashed Magisk. If not, download the app from the XDA page.
ok great it's running good phew ! thanks for your help, I did download the older version on twrp 311 and when i went to format data still failed? invalid argument red text but I did wipe both caches and twrp stuck never asked for a dycrypt pass like the 312 version did but I think im ok if I don;t install a custom rom then things may get scary, when I do a back up what should I back up I see the option for system image should I back that up to?

ok great it's running good phew ! thanks for your help, I did download the older version on twrp 311 and when i went to format data still failed? invalid argument red text but I did wipe both caches and twrp stuck never asked for a dycrypt pass like the 312 version did but I think im ok if I don;t install a custom rom then things may get scary, when I do a back up what should I back up I see the option for system image should I back that up to?
That's not necessary. Check everything to backup besides the system image option. It's only an alternative to the normal system backup if you want that. It'll take up almost an extra GB of storage space if you do though.

That's not necessary. Check everything to backup besides the system image option. It's only an alternative to the normal system backup if you want that. It'll take up almost an extra GB of storage space if you do though.
hers another one for you I use all in one tool box app and I like to turn off crap at boot up I see twrp is listed is it safe to dissable?

hers another one for you I use all in one tool box app and I like to turn off crap at boot up I see twrp is listed is it safe to dissable?
Not sure about that, but I don't think disabling TWRP is a good idea. Unless you have the TWRP app installed and that's all that would be disabled. I don't use the TWRP app. Not much point in it for me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
now heres a good one since I got you their any version of google camera that works with this phone ? I have tried the older versions that worked on my S4 ver 4.3 -2.7 ect..

just out of curiosity today I noticed my cell service sucked actully got a no single in my basement , even though it rained a lot and ran a single meter app showed it was poor and I'm hooking up to a cell tower in the next town, odd, and would Twrp have anything to do with it i'm still on the same rom and install adaway and Magisk that should make no difference right ? the phone was full updated OTA before I did this

TWRP definitely has nothing to do with your cell signal. I can tell you though that I have had a horrible signal the last 4 or 5 days or so. My phone was normally on LTE all the time and lately is mostly on 3G, and really slow. It keeps going back to LTE briefly, then back to 3G and sometimes I lose my connection completely in the process. It's happening to me on the latest stock and AEX.

Twrp sits in its own partition, won't interfere.. I've been noticing signal differences that are unusual as well but isn't a consistent issue, so I think it's likely related to the atmosphere, environment, or tower itself.

Edit: maybe flash an older modem and see where ya sit

Twrp sits in its own partition, won't interfere.. I've been noticing signal differences that are unusual as well but isn't a consistent issue, so I think it's likely related to the atmosphere, environment, or tower itself.
That's probably all it is, although I think it was around the same day they repealed the net neutrality when I started having problems which makes me a little suspicious. Even though I'm in NY and shouldn't be effected by it yet anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't pulling some crap anyway.
Edit: I tried all three modems I have and had the same with all of them.

That's probably all it is, although I think it was around the same day they repealed the net neutrality when I started having problems which makes me a little suspicious..

Y'know, you may have something there too. Possibly a combination of both..

this handy program info cell lite showed me a tower was down or getting maintenance and now I have my normal single

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 352
Back
Top Bottom