• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moving Icons bug?

james391

When i try to move an icon or widget it will just disapear, then after restarting my phone they will appear in a totaly random spot(like in a folder). Is this usual or is there an app im using that is doing it.
Thanks Guys :)

Same thing happens to me. Sometimes my Optimus shows a little icon that has the android guy on it and it doesn't let me open the app or it says Application Not Installed.

Happens to me all the time since updating to 2.3. Does anyone know what's going on?
I'm running 2.3.4 on an N1

I have this issue too.. but it's because it's hard to place the icon so it fits on the left or right column...
if you divide your phone into thirds (left middle right) and imagine a dividing line you want to "drop" the icon pretty close to the line.. not in the center of the area.. I've found that this works the best for moving stuff to the edges.

It happens to me too (on 2.2), and it has nothing to do with me dropping it in the wrong spot. It's just a really annoying bug.

Usually you can get things back to normal (and hopefully find your missing icons) by force-quitting the Launcher from the Applications section of the Settings.

It happens to me too (on 2.2)
Same here (on a stock phone). For the first day or so, everything was fine, but ever since then, moving icons anywhere is almost impossible.

Usually you can get things back to normal (and hopefully find your missing icons) by force-quitting the Launcher from the Applications section of the Settings.
Interesting. Two questions:
1. How do you get the phone back to operate normally after that? Does the Launcher restart automatically?
2. Does force-quitting the Launcher do anything different (just in regard to the icon-moving bug) than power-cycling the phone?

Two questions:
1. How do you get the phone back to operate normally after that? Does the Launcher restart automatically?
2. Does force-quitting the Launcher do anything different (just in regard to the icon-moving bug) than power-cycling the phone?
1. When you go back to Home, the Launcher just starts itself up, without complaining.

2. Power-cycling the phone is probably an even more sure-fire solution, but it takes a lot longer.

I'm having this problem as well. Very annoying. I can scarcely move or add any new icons because of it.

I figured that there'd be some fix for it (requiring a root if necessary), but it appears that no one has figured out a way around this yet. :(

WATYF

I figured that there'd be some fix for it (requiring a root if necessary), but it appears that no one has figured out a way around this yet. :(
:confused: Two fixes have been posted in this very thread:

• Kill the launcher
  • Reboot the phone

Yeah I've had this problem for months now. It only happens to me in 2 area's on the left hand side of the screen. Move an icon there and as soon as you lift your finger the icon disappears. Sometimes it shows up later in a folder on another home screen. Was driving me nuts. The simplest work around I've come up with is to just create the icons you want, WHERE you want them. Because you can create an icon in a spot where you can't move an icon (because of the bug). Once they're set up where you want em, DON'T try and move em around. Realistically how often do you need to move the icons once the phone is set up the way you want.

Yeah I've had this problem for months now. It only happens to me in 2 area's on the left hand side of the screen. Move an icon there and as soon as you lift your finger the icon disappears. Sometimes it shows up later in a folder on another home screen. Was driving me nuts. The simplest work around I've come up with is to just create the icons you want, WHERE you want them. Because you can create an icon in a spot where you can't move an icon (because of the bug). Once they're set up where you want em, DON'T try and move em around. Realistically how often do you need to move the icons once the phone is set up the way you want.

See, this is exactly the type of solution I was looking for. I never use the long-press to add things to the home page, so I didn't even think of that. :D

WATYF

another idea is to try a custom launcher like Launcher Pro or Go Launcher EX. Granted just a bandaid but something to think about

Back
Top Bottom