• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MT CM7 ROM help

DreLluch

Lurker
Just discovered this website two days ago and have already Rooted my phone, backed up my stuff, and installed busy box, titanium backup, and ASTRO file manager...(Havent really used them/not too sure what they do...cept for the backup). I love this site and did not know about this MT community. I love my Triumph. I know a lot of people have problems and stuff with theirs but mine has been awesome from the start. These forums just open up a whole new world of possibilities for my phone and I am very excited to check in here regularly.

If you havent already taken notice, I am :confused:(a noob). So I ask for your patience.

Three Questions:

1.) What CM7 ROM is best? Currently using Starship's version and it is the first and only ROM I have ever installed. I dont really like the notification bar and what it looks like on this version of the CM7. Are they different in other versions of CM7? I wanted to install an app that changes the theme of the phone through the ADW launcher called the "Minimalist" theme I believe. This app says it is compatible with a CM7 mod but it did not work, and when i checked the "About Phone" part of my phone, it doesnt say it is CM7. Instead it says Final Voyage to Triumph or something like that. Im thinking that might have something to do with it?

2.) If I want to change the ROM to some other ROM, should I just wipe all the data, cache, dalvik cache, and then just install the new ROM?

3.) What ROM is best overall? I am a sucker for notification bars and how they look...idk, im weird like that. I dont use the MIUI ROM because I dont particularly like the notification bar, like when it is pulled down.I want to install the CM9, but have read it is probably a better idea to use something more stable until the CM9 becomes more stable.
 
Just discovered this website two days ago and have already Rooted my phone, backed up my stuff, and installed busy box, titanium backup, and ASTRO file manager...(Havent really used them/not too sure what they do...cept for the backup). I love this site and did not know about this MT community. I love my Triumph. I know a lot of people have problems and stuff with theirs but mine has been awesome from the start. These forums just open up a whole new world of possibilities for my phone and I am very excited to check in here regularly.

If you havent already taken notice, I am :confused:(a noob). So I ask for your patience.

Three Questions:

1.) What CM7 ROM is best? Currently using Starship's version and it is the first and only ROM I have ever installed. I dont really like the notification bar and what it looks like on this version of the CM7. Are they different in other versions of CM7? I wanted to install an app that changes the theme of the phone through the ADW launcher called the "Minimalist" theme I believe. This app says it is compatible with a CM7 mod but it did not work, and when i checked the "About Phone" part of my phone, it doesnt say it is CM7. Instead it says Final Voyage to Triumph or something like that. Im thinking that might have something to do with it?

2.) If I want to change the ROM to some other ROM, should I just wipe all the data, cache, dalvik cache, and then just install the new ROM?

3.) What ROM is best overall? I am a sucker for notification bars and how they look...idk, im weird like that. I dont use the MIUI ROM because I dont particularly like the notification bar, like when it is pulled down.I want to install the CM9, but have read it is probably a better idea to use something more stable until the CM9 becomes more stable.

With regards to questions 1 and 3 which ROM is best is really a matter of personal taste, personally I like the MTDEV rom since it seems to be the most updated ROM, though each rom has it's own quirks
as for 2, there is a difference between have to and it is highly recommended, you don't have to do a factory reset every time, though if you don't there could be some part of the past install left behind and in some cases this can cause issues, which are not really related to the current ROM you are running but are cause by an part of a previous ROM, so it is a good idea to do a clean install each time, I use Titanium backup to restore the app data, though there are other means for doing this as well
 
Three Questions:

1.) What CM7 ROM is best? Currently using Starship's version and it is the first and only ROM I have ever installed. I dont really like the notification bar and what it looks like on this version of the CM7. Are they different in other versions of CM7? I wanted to install an app that changes the theme of the phone through the ADW launcher called the "Minimalist" theme I believe. This app says it is compatible with a CM7 mod but it did not work, and when i checked the "About Phone" part of my phone, it doesnt say it is CM7. Instead it says Final Voyage to Triumph or something like that. Im thinking that might have something to do with it?

2.) If I want to change the ROM to some other ROM, should I just wipe all the data, cache, dalvik cache, and then just install the new ROM?

3.) What ROM is best overall? I am a sucker for notification bars and how they look...idk, im weird like that. I dont use the MIUI ROM because I dont particularly like the notification bar, like when it is pulled down.I want to install the CM9, but have read it is probably a better idea to use something more stable until the CM9 becomes more stable.

Let me be one of the first to welcome you to Android Forums and of course the Motorola Triumph specific forum. I am g60madman one of the main developers for the phone. We have a fantastic Team of developers that have put out some fantastic ROM's which rock Froyo into the ground include our own Froyo, and Sharp Froyo! So let's get down to business

1. Everyone will tell you Sharp Froyo as everything works including HDMI. Next up is MTDEV-CM7 based on Gingerbread, some minor issues no HDMI, some screen jitter and deep sleep doesn't work but overall very smooth and fast. Next up is MIUI Gingerbread, again same issues as CM7 but gives you that Apple feel if you like IOS. Moving on MTDEV-CM9 a rocking ROM very stable and fast but no HDMI or Camera. There are more ROM's but these are the main ones out there. A larger list can be seen here
http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...l-things-root-guide-updated-07-31-2012-a.html

2. We recommend doing full wipes / dalvik as the best practice as some settings can be carried over when flashing new ROM's

3. MTDEV-CM7 and using something like MTDEV Ultimate ICS Theme is a good start or dive into CM9.

Good luck and happy flashing!!
 
Back
Top Bottom