• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Desire arrived... Is it AMOLED or SLCD?

revatio

Newbie
I searched many forums but there seems to be no clear way to identify the screen type other than by eye.

Clue #1: The box has no mention of AMOLED.
Clue #2: P/N is 99HKZ009-00
Clue #3: Made in China
Clue #4: Unbranded, unlocked phone bought from a US retailer.

My plan is to root. According to what I've read so far, the method depends on the type of screen, SLCD or AMOLED. I need to know for sure, so as not to brick the phone.
 
How did you determine that?
Usually the box will specifically say AMOLED if it has one. However, google is your friend - a simple search shows that all you need to do is take a quick photo of a black towel or something dark, then view the image on the screen in a dark room. Look for backlighting from the SLCD and light bleed from the edges. If the image is completely black with no faint backlighting or anything, then you have an AMOLED screen. If there is some backlighting or the black image looks more like dark grey, then it's an SLCD.

Even without looking, it's probably SLCD as Samsung is hording the AMOLED screens and HTC switched suppliers to get the SLCD instead.
 
I agree, definitely SLCD. Screen bleeds like a stuck pig when all black.

Mine came factory loaded with 2.2. Will this cause difficulties when trying to root with unrevoked?
 
dont be ridiculous. I'm running 4 umbrellas side by side on my desire. Think you need to be on an AOSP rom though.
 
Vanilla Android. Android Open Source Project. Plain Android, no HTC crap.

Such as Defrost, what I run.
 
Back
Top Bottom