• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My M8 just randomly factory-reset itself in my pocket!

It is the "10 attempts before data is deleted" feature of Kit Kat that keeps doing the factory re-set; I discovered that through research, and trial and error.

My phone re-set three times in my pocket the first month after I got the One M8 and lost all my settings - I had to spend hours restoring my personalized settings each time. After the third re-set I got the HTC Flip Case on Amazon (for $25) and haven't had the problem since. At first I was irritated that I needed a case (hides the metal body and modern finish) so I could keep the phone in my pocket without fear of another re-set, but now I'm glad I did as I found that I actually like that the display automatically turns on when I flip open the case without having to tap-to-wake', or turn on with the power button.

The case also makes it easy to slide in my pocket and protects the face from scratches without the need of those awful screen protectors.

Again, the only downside is that the case detracts from the beauty of the phone but...HEY! Better than constant factory re-sets....

I have had my M8 for about a month now. I am on my second reset. 1st time was the second day I had it. I figured it did some update and reset itself. 2nd reset was yesterday while working in the yard. THIS SUCKS! It takes hours to reinstall everything. Unfortunately, I have not been backing up my data other than pictures to google+. I have always carried my phone in my pocket without issues. My last phone was the MOTO X which I gave to my son so I could buy the M8. Huge mistake, the MOTO X's operation kicks ass over HTC one M8.

I use the pattern to unlock. I also have the "Bypass lock screen on wake" option checked in security settings. Maybe this is what is causing the phone to keep trying the passwords 10 times? Do the other users that have had the reset problem also have that setting checked? I am unchecking it for now.

Does anybody know of a way to disable the reset "feature"?

Hey OP, is anything else sitting in that pocket with your phone when it resets?

No, nothing in my pocket. I have come to the conclusion that it is the 10-attempts security feature that is causing it. I disabled the Motion Gestures, and now use only the power button to turn on my screen. The other day I unplugged it from my car charger and put it in my pocket. I must not have turned the screen off after it woke form the unpugging, and when I pulled it out of my pocket a short time later it had a message displayed saying "unlock has been attempted 7 times, click OK to continue".

I hate this security feature, I wish there was a way to disable it. There is no way to take advantage of the Motion Launch Gestures without worrying the phone will reset itself after 5 minutes in your pocket.

Gotcha. The reason I ask is that something similar was happening to me even though I'd deactivated the motion gestures. It was driving me crazy.

Finally I realized that the magnetic money clip/wallet that I keep in the same pocket was activating the phone. I think it sends a minor charge to the phone when it rubs against it that makes the phone think it's being plugged into a power source or dock and immediately turns on.

I stopped putting those two in the same pocket, haven't had another problem with it.

Gotcha. The reason I ask is that something similar was happening to me even though I'd deactivated the motion gestures. It was driving me crazy.

Finally I realized that the magnetic money clip/wallet that I keep in the same pocket was activating the phone. I think it sends a minor charge to the phone when it rubs against it that makes the phone think it's being plugged into a power source or dock and immediately turns on.

I stopped putting those two in the same pocket, haven't had another problem with it.

Actually, that magnetic clip is triggering something else entirely - your phone thinks that it's in the HTC Dot View case - and probably a broken one.

You can trigger the Dot View functions by putting a refrigerator (or other weak) magnet at the right place in the back and then either touch or hover near the status bar (I forget this last part exactly, it's been a little while since I played this parlor trick) - and anyways - it thinks that you've opened the case and want to use the phone.

That makes sense. Do you know if there's a setting for that? I poked around but didn't spot it. I'd love to turn it off. :-)

It has just happened with me. I got the phone from the mends, was hard reset by them. It was normal and spend the entire evening yesterday setting and customizing the damn thing. Slept in the night and when I woke up in the morning, all I found is it has reset the entire phone. LOST each and every damn thing I had. My data, contacts, games, even Whatsapp. All of it, gone. Makes no sense at all, considering some of you think "10 attempts" may be the reason. But I just slept in the night to find my cell being restored to factory setting. Extremely frustating.

Back
Top Bottom