• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My Optimus V unrooted itself...???

WATYF

I've been using Link2SD successfully for quite some time now. Just the other day, an app updated itself from the Market and Link2SD did it's usual thing of relinking the update, but when I rebooted my phone, that app was no longer working. The icon for the app turned into a default Android icon, and when I clicked on it, it said that the app wasn't installed on my device.

At first, I thought this was a problem with Link2SD so I tried changing a bunch of settings and what not and tried unlinking/relinking a bunch of apps, but every time I linked an app with Link2SD and then rebooted, the app would "disappear".

After a while, it occurred to me that the usual "Link2SD has been granted superuser permissions" message wasn't showing up when Link2SD did it's thing. So, I opened Terminal Emulator, typed in "su", hit enter and..... "Permission Denied".

Has my phone UNROOTED itself??? If so, how is that even possible? I haven't done ANY Virgin updates (ever) or even any android system updates recently. But none of my root apps work any more.

FYI, I'm on an original Optimus V with 2.2.1. I originally used Gingerbreak to unroot it.

Any insight would be appreciated. At this point, my only idea is to re-root it again using Gingerbreak. But how do I know this won't just happen again? Maybe it's also time to consider going to a new version of Android (if that's not too much trouble).

WATYF

Download ES File explorer.
Go to /system/bin if on a stock ROM or Froyo ROM.
Go to /system/xbin if on a Gingerbread ROM.

Scroll down to the su file.
If you don't see it go to the other location and check.

The permission on the su file should be set to:
rwxr-xr-x or rwsr-sr-x

If you don't see the su file then let me know.
If the permissions of the su file aren't as described then let me know.

If you need help setting up ES File explorer, let me know.

Do you have a custom recovery installed?

UPDATE: I tried re-running Gingerbreak and it didn't work. It rebooted after only 30 seconds or so and su was still inaccessible via Terminal Emulator. I also noticed that the Superuser app no longer exists on my phone.

WATYF

Download ES File explorer.
Go to /system/bin if on a stock ROM or Froyo ROM.
Go to /system/xbin if on a Gingerbread ROM.

Scroll down to the su file.
If you don't see it go to the other location and check.

The permission on the su file should be set to:
rwxr-xr-x or rwsr-sr-x

If you don't see the su file then let me know.
If the permissions of the su file aren't as described then let me know.

If you need help setting up ES File explorer, let me know.

Do you have a custom recovery installed?

The permissions on the file is: rwx r-x r-x

The only backup software I have is Titanium Backup (which, of course, doesn't work any more because it requires root).

WATYF

OK, it appears that the problem is more related to the Superuser app being missing. I reinstalled that, and now I get the message from Link2SD about getting superuser permissions.

Now to see if Link2SD starts working normally again.

WATYF

Lol.Oops! The app is essential for control of denying, and allowing permissions, as well as remembering those choices.

Lol.Oops! The app is essential for control of denying, and allowing permissions, as well as remembering those choices.

Yeah, I'm getting that now. The thing is, I'm positive that it was there when my problems with Link2SD started happening, because it's one of the things that I tried linking with Link2SD as a test after the problems. So I guess Link2SD might still be broken. Gotta find out first.

WATYF

OK, it appears that Link2SD is the only thing that's not working. The whole "Superuser" issue was just a smokescreen. :p

WATYF

Superuser app, the PlayStore, and widget apps should never be placed on the SD card or linked by Link2SD to the SD card.
Could be what caused the problem.
Delete Link2SD. Go back to the recovery/mounts and storage. Wipe the SD ext.
Re-install Link2SD and create new mount script. Reboot. Re-create links for those apps safe to link.

I've found out that the problem is my SD Card has errors on it. I've spent pretty much all day trying to find out how to run some kind of chkdsk on an ext2 partition (either in the android device or from windows) and I've had no luck so far.

I don't want to wipe it and start over, because then I'll lose all of my apps. At the very least, I want to transfer all the apps back to the internal (or regular SD Card storage) before wiping Link2SD and starting over.

WATYF

The only thing that will straighten that sort of thing out is BootIt.
Download to computer. Put SD card into computer. Select yes to all prompts.
Unfortunately this will wipe all data and delete partition. It's the only way without causing more problems.

When it's done put back into phone and choose the erase sd card option in the storage setting. Reboot phone.
You need to install the ZenGarden recovery.
Make the partition using it. There is an option to reformat the partition to ext.4.
You never have to take SD card out like you would have had to with other recovery's.

Sorry: BootIt is the best, safest, quickest, and most reliable way to fix the errors on the SD card.

Back
Top Bottom