• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My phone number is incorrect...

Have the same myself - identity shows the temporary number I had for a few days whilst my old O2 number was ported to Orange. That was four months ago and it still hasn't changed.

Can't say I'm bothered as it makes no difference.
 
As I posted above it DOES make a difference as it messes up the few apps such as PingChat which rely on that number being correct.
 
This issue is a problem if you use the Paypal mobile app - it picks up the phone number from the SIM and then doesn't allow you to login to Paypal using phone number and a PIN. :(
 
My nephew works for O2, I emailed about my sim number being shown incorrectly. This was his reply.

Hi,

Yeah heard of this before and one of my colleagues spoke to the HTC rep about it.

Basically there is a small bug with HTC sense, affecting the Desire, Wildfire and the old Magic. HTC are working on a fix as it does affect the big three networks.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do at the moment. If you root the phone you will be able to get around it - but not something I would recommend for a small bug.

If I hear anything else I will let you know.

The Blackberry or sim reader sounds like a better bet. :)
 
To reset the reported SIM MSISDN on a Samsung Galaxy Europa i5500 (Android 2.1):
* Go to phone-book
* Select "Contacts"
* Press the "Menu" button (the left-most buttton under the screen)
* Select "More"
* Select "Settings"
* Select "Own numbers"
then edit the number to the correct MSISDN number.

Note that you may then need to reboot the phone (power off and on again) to ensure that all applications re-read this corrected MSISDN number from the SIM.
 
I have a similar problem on my HTC Desire Z. When I send a text message to person ABC, until this morning, the thread would read: ME: blah, blah PERSON ABC: blah, blah. However, from lunchtime today, the thread has started to show my daughter's phone number instead, so now reading 123456789: Blah, blah PERSON ABC blah, blah.
I have tried swapping my SIM card with someone else's, but even sending a text with their SIM in my handset, it still reads 123456789: blah, blah, rather than ME:. I am pretty sure that it is my handset which thinks its identity is that of my daughter, so I rang O2. 2 fruitless hours later, I am no wiser. Can anyone help, please? SHHM
 
To reset the reported SIM MSISDN on a Samsung Galaxy Europa i5500 (Android 2.1):
* Go to phone-book
* Select "Contacts"
* Press the "Menu" button (the left-most buttton under the screen)
* Select "More"
* Select "Settings"
* Select "Own numbers"
then edit the number to the correct MSISDN number.

Note that you may then need to reboot the phone (power off and on again) to ensure that all applications re-read this corrected MSISDN number from the SIM.

Hi rob, thanks a bunch. Top man. :)

I have finally got a smart phone, a Galaxy Mini. Having ported my old number, I discovered the problem that started this thread. Fortunately for me I found this thread and, fixed the problem.

Funny how you can tear your hair out, until a simple solution is shown.

Thanks again.
Curzon.

Edit: I did have to reboot the phone for the change to show.
 
Heads up folks, I've just discovered a free app on the Market that lets you edit the phone number shown on your phone! I've just tried it on my Desire and it's worked. :D

My Phone Number - Android app on AppBrain

Mine's always said unknown. Never bothered me but this app worked on my rooted Desire :)

Really great to find a simple way to edit the sim phone number but it failed to install to my Desire A8181 running 2.29.405.5.

Or is it just me?
:(

I think your phone needs to be rooted for it to work.

To reset the reported SIM MSISDN on a Samsung Galaxy Europa i5500 (Android 2.1):

Do stuff...
I'll bear that in mind if I ever get a Samasung Galaxy but this is the Desire forum and it has no such option :rolleyes:
 
I've had my Desire over a year now.It's on Tmobile. Originally, I was on Virgin and I had my old number ported over, but my phone still shows the number it was issued with, it has never changed, so don't hold your breath waiting for it ..... :(
 
Back
Top Bottom