• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mysterious battery drain

Kamel

I've had issues with my battery draining since I got this phone. Thus far, I have decided to just live with it but honestly it's becoming unbearable. At first I thought I was just using the phone so much because it was new to me that I couldn't put it down (which was true really) which explained the battery drain. Now, that's no longer true, and it drains no matter what configuration it's in.

All ROMs have had the same result in poor battery performance. I've even undervolted which didn't help. It was only recently that I realized just how bad it was though. I put my phone in airplane mode when it had about 30% battery remaining. About 1 hour later, there was only 14% battery remaining and I hadn't touched the phone (this is my lazier way of turning the phone off to conserve battery).

In other android phones I've had, if the phone is turned off and in airplane mode the battery stays put. Matter of fact, my trusty old prevail can go literally weeks on a single charge because it's always in airplane mode. This wasn't the case while apps were using data etc of course, but at least there was reason to where the battery was going.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really at my whits end here, I can't make it to the end of my work day without charging my phone and honestly I hardly use the thing at work. Prior phones would have around 60-70% minimum remaining at the end of an uneventful day at work.

Edit: for the record, this phone is pretty new (only had it for just over 30 days now) so I don't think it's due to the age of the battery or anything like that

One thing you can do....if ur rooted... is get droid wall. Droid wall is a data firewall that blocks selected apps from sending and receiving data. Though I'm not sure what problems ur actually having...this will help with the battery drain

I block almost all of my apps except the internet browser.

codegerm, i'm not running FL24 ROM, i'm running paranoid android. having said that though, i'm pretty sure i am using the FL24 modem. i haven't tried too many modems, but maybe i should try a different one? any suggestions?

greg, if battery drain is the same in airplane mode as it is not in airplane mode, i don't think droidwall will help much. i do appreciate your suggestion though

Aosp roms specifically have really crappy battery life. That's one of the reasons I usually don't stay on them very long. I could never get more than 5 hours on a charge with low usage.

I'd try a jelly bean tw Rom or try a ics Rom aosp or tw. We have source for ics so the roms are more stable than most jb roms. I am using an ics Rom that was made by the guy that made paranoid android and pacman and baked black bean. It's called light weight I think. I've been getting really good battery life and I'm over clocked to 1600

Well when's the last time you had 6 hours and 80 percent battery? :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363017736562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363017736562.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 42
The obvious: 2. Battery life: Turn off GPS, Wi-Fi, sync, Bluetooth and 4G when not in use. Watch for apps that update too often (email), kill background apps (stock task manager). Low signals (3G/4G) will drain quickly. Running CPU a moderator like Voltage Control can under-clock your CPU and extend battery life.
2a. Bad Battery Test: Try spinning your battery, if it spins it is bad.

Kamel: Have you looked at your battery stats to troubleshoot the largest drainage apps?

Wow selfelevated2. That's crazy good battery life! Im OK with mine. On wftn without changing any settings I get like 12 hours. That's good enough for me. And I use my phone like crazy. Lol

Yeah jaman i used to get horrible battery life. Then I got a few batteries off amazon for 19 bucks and im good. My phone used to die in 5 hours without even using it

Here's My battery now.. I'm only losing 20 percent every 6 hours.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363037372997.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363037372997.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 35
Yeah jaman i used to get horrible battery life. Then I got a few batteries off amazon for 19 bucks and im good. My phone used to die in 5 hours without even using it

Not sure why some peeps have such bad battery life. My S2 normally gets over 3 days with minor-to-moderate use. With moderate+ use I get a day and a half.

Stock battery.

Not sure why some peeps have such bad battery life. My S2 normally gets over 3 days with minor-to-moderate use. With moderate+ use I get at least a day and a half.

Stock battery.

Occasionally (once every month or two) I do get a rapid battery drain and the phone shuts itself off. Trouble-shooting points to an Android system issue.

self evaluated, looks like you're on the right track with your suggestion.

i tried lightweight for half a day and i couldn't bear it anymore. i tried to switch over to CM9 and failed... as is customary of me, i did a system reset, deleted all cache, dalvik cache, and formatted /system/ because i'm hard core like that, then i tried to flash the image and the image was bad. glad it didn't flash, but it probably wouldn't have damaged it either way.

because my phone was no longer in a bootable state i had to do something so i found CM 10.2 on my phone. i went ahead and flashed it and used it. battery life still not what i would consider stellar, but it seems much better. I am using deep sleep now and before I wasn't, so I'm not sure if that is attributing to the better battery life.

screen and android system use up most of the battery (about a 70/30 split) then followed by cell standby or use depending on if I've made calls in all cases when i looked to see what was taking my battery. This really doesn't make a ton of sense, since I always use the screen on as low of a brightness as I can stand, and the screen is showing the leader in battery use even on days when I've hardly had the screen on.

I will say again though, I even had this problem on the stock FL24 ROM before I even installed any custom ROMs, so I am beginning to wonder if I've got a bad battery =\

I bought 3 oem samsung epic touch 4g batteries and an external wall charger so technically in a day I never run out of battery. I wanted the official samsung batteries. All 3 for 30 bucks and ten bucks for the charger. So I always have one in the charger charged up and whenever I need it I just pop it out and swap batteries. I don't ever plug my phone in to charge anymore. I haven't in 2 months.

do you recommend a good replacement battery from amazon? there's tons out there, would rather not buy one to have it die a week later

I'll see if I can find the link to the ones I got and post them for u. They are 1900mah and stock is 1800 but they fit under the stock back.

I still have 25 percent left. I'll post a screenshot of its final life in a few hours. I'm really stoked because I've had crappy battery life until I got these batteries

Oh shoot forgot to mention that didnt come with a wall charger and thats good to have. I had one from my extended batteries for my warp. Ill find one with it and post it here for u

Edit: this is from the same people but has a wall charger

3x 1900mAh Battery For Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch d710, Replacement Wall Charger with USB Port, Aluminum Touch Pen, Exclusive Black And Green Color Key Chain Kit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFH1S4U/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

And here is my final battery for the day. Lets call it an even 18 hours on one charge because it will hang here on 2 percent for awhile.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363059846697.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363059846697.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 72
Those wall chargers are great. They slow drain your battery. It's not uncommon for my battery to stay at 100 percent for an hour after popping in a battery. Plugging the phone in to charge never had that effect.

well, after looking around and seriously considering what i should do, i decided on this...

Amazon.com: Magbox 10000mah (3 USB Outputs 2.1a/ 0.5a/1a) LED Touch Light Backup External Battery Pack Charger High Capacity Power Bank Charger Rechargeable Charger for Iphone 5 4s 4 3gs 3g, Ipod; Android Smartphones: HTC Sensation / Samsung Galaxy S

i really appreciate your suggestion, and still might get it, but after mulling it over i decided this external battery could support more devices, and will potentially give me better overall battery life (for example for a long layover at the atlanta airport where people fight to the death for available charging outlets)

i'll report back how well i think i did once i get a chance to use it for a while.

Back
Top Bottom