• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Help with a decision

Syphon

Okay so come October 1, I am eligible for a full upgrade pricing. The issue is, I have the Evo to chose from or the Epic.

The size is not too big of an issue for me however I have not been able to physically play with an Epic yet so not sure how decent that phone is.

My concern is the following, I do not want to get a one of these two phones if Sprint is going to release another great phone in the coming months. I pay attention to mobile news and have not seen great android phones in development that are rumored for sprint, however want to see if anyone here has heard anything. Obviously, if December or even January a new phone that is better than Evo or Epic comes out, I would prefer to wait and get it.

So the help I needs is, Do I get the Evo October 1? Do I get the Epic October 1? Do I wait for x Phone that comes out really soon?

I love my Hero but the lag just sucks.

Okay so come October 1, I am eligible for a full upgrade pricing. The issue is, I have the Evo to chose from or the Epic.

The size is not too big of an issue for me however I have not been able to physically play with an Epic yet so not sure how decent that phone is.

My concern is the following, I do not want to get a one of these two phones if Sprint is going to release another great phone in the coming months. I pay attention to mobile news and have not seen great android phones in development that are rumored for sprint, however want to see if anyone here has heard anything. Obviously, if December or even January a new phone that is better than Evo or Epic comes out, I would prefer to wait and get it.

So the help I needs is, Do I get the Evo October 1? Do I get the Epic October 1? Do I wait for x Phone that comes out really soon?

Honestly, keep the Hero for now. I see that you are rooted and now you can run Froyo 2.2. Until gingerbread 3.0 comes out, I doubt our phones will get 3.0 (who knows the devs are amazing) I will wait till then myself.

Hero lag? You can fix that;)

My suggestion to you would be to read some of the threads in both forums , the Epic and Evo, and follow a few threads and do some reading, that will make you make a better educated decision. IMO I prefer the Epic if I were going to switch, but since I am able to get a new phone, I decided to wait a little more and see what the Epic users have to say in the next coming months and then I will decide ;)

Well, you should definitely play with working versions of both phones AT LENGTH in a non-crowded Sprint store. In my experience, using the phones greatly helps one decide.

I've played with both of them at length...both seem like solidly-built hardware (notwithstanding some early Evo screen separation issues that I think they solved). The Evo and Epic are about the same size. Both big. Neither fits easily in a pants or shirt pocket like the Hero. If that's a major concern to you, buy cargo pants or just wait for something smaller. I slightly prefer the fit and finish on the Epic, along with its more curved edges. It's slightly more satisfying to hold. Of course, neither phone is like the Palm Pre, which automatically seems to relax everyone that holds it, sort of like a polished Zen stone. If only the Pre hadn't been plastic...sigh...

But I digress...

There's nothing you can do about new phones coming out. The product cycle has been so compressed for smartphones, I can GUARANTEE there will be newer phones within months of any of us buying anything. You can't let that stop you...besides, they are expensive and hard to get when they first come out, so there's no guarantee you can even get in line if you decided to wait. In fact, Motorola has publically hinted they have 4-6 new Android offerings coming possibly by years' end...no word on which carriers. Perhaps Sprint will pick up a Motorola phone?? Who knows...can't do anything about it.

Having said all that...I will say this: I greatly prefer the HTC Sense wrapper (and their versions of many widgets) to the Samsung interfaces and widgets. If you get the HTC Evo, it will be pretty familiar to you from day one, and you can install any of the HTC widgets you prefer (except perhaps the battery one, which is squished on the Evo).

On the other hand, if you really like a physical keyboard, the Epic is a great choice. By the way, I tried out Swype-based typing on the Epic. Got the hang of it very quickly...it's pretty friggin' neat. I still type about as fast touch typing, though. I think having both typing methods available offers a good option for varying typing methods to avoid repetitive-motion injuries like carpal-tunnel syndrome, etc.

My plan is to wait to see if any rumors of a Sprint device with the recently announced Orion dual-core processor pop up for christmas. If it looks like it is going to be into '11 I'll go with an Epic 4g. That way the next upgrade should come up in time for the 1.5 ghz dual-cores next year.

Honestly, keep the Hero for now. I see that you are rooted and now you can run Froyo 2.2. Until gingerbread 3.0 comes out, I doubt our phones will get 3.0 (who knows the devs are amazing) I will wait till then myself.

Hero lag? You can fix that;)
Ah, I did not know there was a good working FoYo mod out. Last time I was in the rom forums the port was only partially completed with a lot of unsolved bugs.

I will try that as many are reporting almost 0 lag. I have 4 close friends with the EVO and that is the main thing I am jealous of...the 0 lag. If I can get that on my hero then I am good.

Ah, I did not know there was a good working FoYo mod out. Last time I was in the rom forums the port was only partially completed with a lot of unsolved bugs.

I will try that as many are reporting almost 0 lag. I have 4 close friends with the EVO and that is the main thing I am jealous of...the 0 lag. If I can get that on my hero then I am good.

2.2 on the Hero is working just fine. If you are talking lag, there isn't any lag:D

Back
Top Bottom