• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Help with Extended Battery Choice

Cammster

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
Want to get an extended battery for the HTC EVO V 4G Prepaid Android Phone by Virgin Mobile. The phone comes with an 1730 mAh Battery as shown below.

The extended batteries from amazon and ebay seem to have two models, one for sprint and one for virgin mobile, both say HTC Evo 4G, but they have a different design and back cover.

Can anyone tell me which one to get as i see batteries with 3460mah to 4300mAah in different price ranges. Some have slim models which don't need a special cover, are they worth the cost.

Someone ebay is selling "2X New HTC EVO 3D 3500mAh Extended Battery + 2x extended battery door covers" for $15.

How do i know if this battery will fit as the shape looks different.

Please keep in mind want to spend as little as possible.

Thank you in advance.

STOCK HTC EVO 4G VIRGIN MOBILE BATTERY
replacement-lithium-ion-battery-for-htc-evo-3d-1730-mah-23201.jpg

EXTENDED BATTERY FOR SPRINT
htc-evo-4g-extended-battery-with-extended-battery-cover-large-243134.jpg

EXTENDED BATTERY FROM EBAY
$(KGrHqRHJFEFCcK,WTQFBQvr6HLnLg~~60_12.JPG

I just ordered the 3500 mah battery with back cover for my phone from Amazon for 10 dollars. Looks just like the ones you shown in the bottom picture. It may seem to be differently shaped, Because it holds double the capacity, Makin it thicker. Seems to be some generic battery, But for 10 dollars I figured Id try it. Worst case its not much money lost. Waiting for it to come in the mail to see if it holds up. This tiny stock battery is KILLING me. I have to charge it 2-3 times a day.

BTW the middle one is an original evo. not an evo 3D.

Just do a search for batteries for the Evo 3D instead of the Evo V. They are exactly the same phone with different radio components. The batteries are exactly the same. This is the one I ordered.

Upvote 0
I have one that was offered on Cowboom for $8, it is a 3400mah with a nice curved rear cover. that doesn't take up more room than it needs to.

I also just ordered an Anker 1900mah battery to replace my stock battery that is losing top-end charge after almost a year. The Ankers have good reviews all over, you just have to make sure you are buying a legit one and not a fake (Ankerdirect is the only legit seller I know of). Most people reviewing them show they do get that extra bit of power.

The 3400 I have is just as it should be, it drops at exactly half the speed as the normal battery. Personally I don't like the weight of it though, since even with the stock battery you can get about 4-5 hours of screen time before it dies.

As far as accessories, just buy stuff listed for the Evo 3D. They are the same phone and since the 3d is so popular and an older phone there are tons of cheap parts out there. The people listing for Evo V's typically knock up the price a little since they get people thinking they aren't the same phone.

Upvote 0
Is there a consensus of opinion on what is the best battery that does NOT require a different back? :thinking: I like the size as is and not larger. Keep it in a front pocket. Don't want everyone to think I am glad to see them... :D
From the searching people recommend the anker 1900mah .. nice battery that will fit the stock evo v 4g/evo 3d cover.

Also, i got my BEAST 3500 extended battery. Phone is to big and heavy now. Might be looking for a anker 1900 real soon. The phone does last longer, but its to big :eek:

Upvote 0
I just received my extended battery today. I will update in a day or 3 with the results. :nervousface:

Got my Anker 1900 in today as well (stock size). It came at 55% and I started to kill the battery with video at 50%. By the time I got the warning at 15% it had played over 3 hours of video with the sound turned up.

That is about 12% per hour playing full-screen video with sound.... pretty good. And that is before the battery is conditioned with a few charge cycles.

Considering you can get them from Ankerdirect on Ebay for about $17 these things are a steal.

Upvote 0
Well, After my first day of a full charge of this 3500 mah battery.. I cant kill this thing! It hasnt even had its full 5 charge cycles as stated from the instructions. I took the phone off the charger around 10 this morning.. And its still going strong. 8 hours in of almost continuous use playing FF7 on fpse with the standard 1188mhz cpu speed and Im still at 54%! Im astonished that this power is coming from a cheap 10 dollar, no-brand battery.

We will see how the life of the battery is though. Might be this good at first and crap out fast. Either way.. Im VERY happy for now. :D

If anyone is interested... This is the battery I ordered off of Amazon.

Upvote 0
Well, After my first day of a full charge of this 3500 mah battery.. I cant kill this thing! It hasnt even had its full 5 charge cycles as stated from the instructions. I took the phone off the charger around 10 this morning.. And its still going strong. 8 hours in of almost continuous use playing FF7 on fpse with the standard 1188mhz cpu speed and Im still at 54%! Im astonished that this power is coming from a cheap 10 dollar, no-brand battery.

We will see how the life of the battery is though. Might be this good at first and crap out fast. Either way.. Im VERY happy for now. :D

If anyone is interested... This is the battery I ordered off of Amazon.

Love the Amazon part that says you saved $70.10

Upvote 0
The place I got my Anker from on Ebay is:

Anker Extended Battery 1900mAh for HTC EVO 3D Amaze 4G Sensation XE | eBay

I'm at 55% after 12 hours right now, and 7 hours of that was spent in a metal building where the phone has to fight to keep a signal (I am always at 0-1 bars and flipping between 1x and 3g in there). That is with moderate use, using it every 5-10 minutes for a few minutes at a time.

Kinda pissed I put up with the stock battery for so long before ordering one.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Seidio SURFACE Extended Case for Innocell Extended Life Batteries for HTC EVO....... with a Platinum Series - 2X Extended Life Lithium-Polymer Battery for HTC EVO 3D by Seidio.

$6.67
The Extended case which covers the extended battery plus back plate:

$12.99
The extended battery plus back plate by Seido:

You have to change the battery from 1700mh to 3500mh just for the battery monitor widget to keep accurate documents of time of battery length remaining.

Your links didn't work for me. Is the Extended case made by Seidio? If so, I have that plus the silicone exo-skin, and the hard plastic exo-skeleton. It's a layered effect that Seidio likes to do.

Right now, I'm running with just the first layer. The outer layer silicone is basically a lint magnet. Put it in your pocket once, and it comes out dusty. Luckily, the hard plastic 3rd layer covers a good bit of the silicone, so it's mainly the edges that get dusted.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that the first layer does actually provide a little bit of a rim that allows you to set the phone face-down without the screen contacting the flat surface.

Upvote 0
The links go askew due to the forum software (it turns the url into a redirection that quickly "breaks" with Amazon).

Pretty irritating.

If you do a lookup on both items at Amazon.......

1. "Seidio SURFACE Extended Case for Innocell Extended Life Batteries for HTC EVO"

2. "Platinum Series - 2X Extended Life Lithium-Polymer Battery for HTC EVO 3D by Seidio"

.....you should get the direct item popping up when you put those exact terms in their search.

The price point is great as both are made by Seido and are meant to fit each other. The overlap of the "Extended Case" is a bonus (as it somewhat protects the screen by having a small lip). The total cost of both items is $20.00.

I have tried multiple extended batteries and setups and this is the best bang for the buck (along with a good feel plus protection plus access to buttons).

Upvote 0

They lie about the mAh ratings unfortunately. It is a standard size battery and that amount is simply impossible to get out of that size. The only reason Anker can legitimately increase the mAh rating to 1900 is because they use high quality components specifically made for cell batteries.

I have heard all kinds of excuses, like Chinese power ratings are different, that there are translation differences, that they outright lie.... whatever the reason, they have been selling batteries with improper mAh ratings for years. You would probably be lucky to get 1400 out of it.

Upvote 0

Never ever buy these non-branded cheap knock-off Chinese batteries. I bought one of them for seven bucks on Ebay. It was good from the start, twice the battery. Then dropped to 50% of the capacity after twenty rounds of charges, and only have 20% of the original capacity after another twenty rounds of charges.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones