• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need suggestions on Data fetching

wildkitten

Android Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this is a Bionic issue or a Android issue in general (the Bionic is my first android device), but I have been having an issue where I get email automatically pushed to my phone. I have the settings set for Manual Fetch turned on and the Data Push for email set to no accounts for push. I have this done to try to save battery power, but every morning I get email pushed to me, sometimes during the day on occasion too.

I get the same thing with Pulse as well even though I have the settings set for only updating when I open the app. Is there some setting I am just missing?

Although the Gmail app does it too.

The GMail app is push only. It either gets no mail (because you turn off background sync) or gets mail pushed to the device. In general, though, I think I've read that push is probably more battery efficient, as you polling will check for mail whether you have waiting mail or not, while push, I believe, only pushes what you do not already have - no polling all of your available mail headers.

Go into accounts and see if your email account is set to sync? The settings are different for different types of email accounts, Gmail has a sync that can be un-checked. My other email account does not, but the push and fetch settings work on it.

I think the key here lies in the data manager settings - probably set to NightTime so over night it overrides and turns on data flow, and in the AM everything is there waiting.

I'm on ICS4BIONIC right now, but IIRC, it's something like Settings --> Battery and Data manager --> Data Manager settings

Since you mentioned during the day also, it could also be set to power instead of Nighttime. However, that data manager setting may also affect your general data availability, so check it out carefully.

You said it happens in both email and Gmail, correct? Like clockwork, (overnight) and unpredictably during the daytime?

I think the key here lies in the data manager settings - probably set to NightTime so over night it overrides and turns on data flow, and in the AM everything is there waiting.

I'm on ICS4BIONIC right now, but IIRC, it's something like Settings --> Battery and Data manager --> Data Manager settings

Since you mentioned during the day also, it could also be set to power instead of Nighttime. However, that data manager setting may also affect your general data availability, so check it out carefully.

You said it happens in both email and Gmail, correct? Like clockwork, (overnight) and unpredictably during the daytime?

Yes, it's very odd. I'd prefer to just check it myself because I heard that if you turn on fetch it runs the power more. But then again, seems to be some conflict on that.

Fetch and Push are two entirely different concepts. Fetch is when your phone goes looking for new mail at certain intervals. Push is when the server notifies your phone that new mail is available. This could be ever y 3 minutes or every 3 days, depending upon how often you receive new mail.

Most people want push, unless they get flooded with mail every other second.

If you want neither, you'll have to turn off sync for your Gmail completely, under Settings --> Accounts. For the other email app, I'm not sure if / how to disable push.

As for fetch, well, in the other email app, there should be a way to disable it, but it would depend upon the type account you're connecting to - Yahoo versus HoTmaiL versus your ISP's mail vs other providers....

Back
Top Bottom