• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Android Market

foo

Android Enthusiast
I just updated to latest software update for 2.2 a few minutes ago, and I just noticed market looks different. Is this anything new or just old news ?

KUmjn.png

:eek: They have reduced the refund window to 15 minutes? That kinda sucks. Guess its nice to still have the option but come on, some stinking apps take 15 minutes to authorize the damn purchase. That change stinks IMO. :mad:

GMB

I agree. I buy a lot of apps knowing I have 24 hours to try them out. This change will make me much more discerning when it comes to making purchases. I can't see how this benefits devs. I know I will be spending less money on "iffy" purchases.

I wonder what the ramifications of the 15 minute return will be.

Will more developers provide free, adware or demo versions of their programs?

Will more people wind up stealing the applications?

Probably some of both.

I can't imagine the developers are happy with this at all. I don't think it helps them. I wonder what the reasoning was.

Wow, a 24 hour window reduced to 15 minutes? That's a huge delta! I wonder what's up with that? Seems like 15 minutes is just enough time to see if the app is total crap, but not nearly enough time to see if it's worth the money. Still running the old market on mine, by the way, haven't gotten this update yet. Or have I... *checks phone*... nope.

I still have the old Market without the similar tab and I tried The Procedure again. I'm very pissed about the 15 minutes change. Sometimes 24 hours wasn't enough of the app was complex. I will take no chances now. No demo, no purchase.

I received an email from Google today giving the details of the changes. (As the links show above.) I was surprised about the 15 minute window. My belief is that the developers who write applications that don't live up to their descriptions will be happy about this change. Clearly the change isn't in the best interest of the consumer.

I would guess that, as some have noted here, there will be people who are much more discerning about what they actually buy--absent a trial version of the application. Apps like RemoSync, that are relatively pricey and require more than 15 minutes to test functionality would be an example of why 15 minutes is not enough.

Google's revised policy isn't as bad as Apple's, but it's nearly as bad.

Joel

Thanks Fabulous. Apk insalled successfully, the new UI is a MAJOR improvement over the old one. Too bad they took two steps back with the 15 second rule (yes I know it's actually minutes, but it's just as ridiculous). Why Google is choosing to take away one of the bigger advantages of going with Android over an iPhone is beyond me.

The only reason that I could think of was that perhaps the devs wanted to be able to access their sales faster instead of having to wait 24 hours to make sure it wouldn't get refunded. But I think in the long run this ends up hurting sales because not as many people will be willing to try as many paid apps out as they did previously. And many times being able to try it is what sells it.

So major bad move IMO.

Anyone else getting "application not installed" when using the apk? I'm running Fission 2.2.2 with jabroch's theme. I had this same problem when I was trying to install the themed apk's.

Back
Top Bottom