• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Droid: which rom should i chose?

I've been running Liquid since 1.7x or so - 1.9x is nice, but be prepared for very infrequent random reboots. if you don't get them, good, but more than a few of us are.

I think it might be stock kernel related, as I am still running the stock kernel, not really sure anymore....

Every ROM seems to have its quirks, whether it is speed related, hang time, lack of space, etc.

Reactions: myfishbear
Upvote 0
The Sourcery Rom is cool with a lot of magic in it that the other roms don't have. You can do OTA updates and install themes from the sourcery magic menu without having to pug into your computer or going to Rom Manager.

The Ultimate Droid has a ton of options and themes. TONS!!!! lol

Liquid Frozen Yogert, ChevyNo1, Shadow, all of these are awesome roms. You won't go wrong with any of them.

If you try The Ultimate Droid or Sapphire roms then check out the theme that I helped with called BREEZE. It will also be on P.E., Shadow, Sourcery, ......etc. very soon.

Attachments

• CAP201012290224.jpg
    CAP201012290224.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 87
  • CAP201012290144.jpg
    CAP201012290144.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 88
  • CAP201012290223.jpg
    CAP201012290223.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
Bugless Beast is truly bugless, fast and stable. CyanogenMod is a great ROM with more customizations... but if you want a good daily driver with options galore, UltimateDroid 2.5 is a great ROM.

I spent a day on UD3 and it's a great beta... but it's just that: a BETA. There are a few things that still don't work (camcorder, lights and no speech-to-text) and UD's almost bewildering array of customization options aren't there YET. So I went back to 2.5 and, if no one ever makes another ROM, I'm happy to have this as my permanent daily driver.

Not to slight LFY or the others, I've tried them... and UD keeps bringing me back.

Upvote 0
I've been running Liquid since 1.7x or so - 1.9x is nice, but be prepared for very infrequent random reboots. if you don't get them, good, but more than a few of us are.
Ya, I absolutely love LFY but with 1.95 I have those strange random reboots. A couple of times, I have been typing a txt and all of a sudden I see the liquid boot animation, no M logo, just boot animation and a restarted phone. I have really considered going back to 1.7 as, for me, that rev was absolutely ROCK SOLID and FAST. I am also a little concerned about Liquid being MIA for quite a while now....maybe he's busy working on liquid gingerbread....

I think it might be stock kernel related, as I am still running the stock kernel, not really sure anymore...
Interesting thought. Might try flashing an alt kernal and see what happens. I am on the stock as well and since I was initially happy with it, stayed.

Upvote 0
Ya, I absolutely love LFY but with 1.95 I have those strange random reboots. A couple of times, I have been typing a txt and all of a sudden I see the liquid boot animation, no M logo, just boot animation and a restarted phone.

This "strange reboot" with animation but without the "M" logo is essentially a partial, or "hot reboot," whereby the system doesn't completely reboot, but instead just the graphics portion (along with some app kills/restarts). You can actually get an app in the market (hot reboot) that forces this, because it's quicker than a full boot and often resolves problems. However, yours are obviously not desired and come at bad times, and that does indeed suck.

I have seen this happen with other ROMS, including the latest stock ROM, FRG83D, and even with aftermarket kernels (I've seen it with ChevyNo1 for example), so it's not strictly a "stock kernel only" problem, nor is it necessarily associated with aftermarket ROMS, since it happens on stock FRG83D. I guess my point is that maybe LFY does this more often than other ROMS, but in any event, I've seen it with various ROMs, and with various aftermarket kernels, so don't feel bad that it's happening to you.

One thing I'd suggest is the 'fix file permissions" script found within Rom Manager. That seemed to have helped me. Neall

Upvote 0
id say download all the main roms, UD, Sourcery, LFY etc.. and try them all for a day or two. some phones handle different rmos better. and make a backup of each once you get it set up and name it some like sourcery8/10 (thats how I organize my backups so I can check which one it is and how i felt it ran on my phone). for some reason my phone hates cyanogen mod but likes everything else.

Upvote 0
id say download all the main roms, UD, Sourcery, LFY etc.. and try them all for a day or two. some phones handle different rmos better. and make a backup of each once you get it set up and name it some like sourcery8/10 (thats how I organize my backups so I can check which one it is and how i felt it ran on my phone). for some reason my phone hates cyanogen mod but likes everything else.
yeah i know how roms work... i just wanted to know what rom was worth my time cuz i just want to flash it once and just use the phone... I'm tired of reloading software over and over... that's why i dumped my ally

Upvote 0
I've just switched from Bugless Beast and prior to that I was using Cyanogen 6.1.2. But now I'm using Project Elite w/ Gingerbread parts and I've got to say this is the most stable release I've ever used. Within 2 days of using this rom, I have yet to get 1 FC at all. I'm also using P3droid Kernel 1ghz low voltage and it's ridiculously smooth.

Upvote 0
yeah i know how roms work... i just wanted to know what rom was worth my time cuz i just want to flash it once and just use the phone... I'm tired of reloading software over and over... that's why i dumped my ally

If that's the case, you probably want Bugless Beast. It has the slowest update cycle of the three big ROMs (Ultimate Droid is the most bleeding-edge, CyanogenMod is a middle-ground, Bugless Beast is the most stable and infrequently updated). My favorite is still CyanogenMod, by far. UD's features are useless, in my opinion. CyanogenMod does great things like the notification pane power bar.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones