• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Froyo Rom

Wow, haven't seen a Woodyman ROM in ages. I was very much in love with his Succulent Desire ROMs, so glad to see him back in action. I'm having pretty good luck with GB, but I may give this a flash just to see.

Not being very successful at running GB roms on my Droid, I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to continue to run Froyo roms that are now 4+ months old with no new development anticipated.

Until I came across this. Droid Concepts Froyo Releases [BETA]

DL'ing now so can't give a read out on performance, but it's nice to see that there are still Dev's out there working on Froyo Roms.

Screen shots anyone?

Installed and restoring apps now. I'm hoping that the development of this ROM continues for a long time. I thought LFY would give me some fresh, new, up-to-date features, but I was wrong. I've been running UD 2.5 latest froyo nightly this whole time and almost feel lost flashing something new, but just today, I experienced 4 random reboots with UD. This never happened before and now it's happening a lot.

So, I'll give this a shot and see what happens. I hope this ROM is everything I would expect from Woodyman!

I'll report back once I have had enough time to fully test this ROM out and run it through it's paces.

Kratos

^great, cant wait to hear what you think! I just flashed the smoked glass charity rom and its awesome, some very cool touches that make it unique. If i hear good things about this woodyman rom, ill give it a try.

I am curious how this rom does with handling games like angry birds. I have found that "most" roms are really sluggish when playing games like angry birds. It doesnt matter if it is a gingerbread rom or a froyo rom. That last update to angry birds has about killed it for me.

Ok, so here are my initial thoughts...

First, this ROM currently doesn't have a ROM Specific Settings app which includes extra tweaks, such as led tweaks, performance tweaks, status bar tweaks, etc. It is basically a stock build with a few tweaks in the rom to make it smoother. This isn't a huge deal, but I do heavily rely on locking my messaging app in memory. So far, I haven't lost any text messages, but I typically need a few days before I start seeing things like that. Also, Woodyman is working on a ROM settings app and he is building it from the ground up. I expect great things from this.

Second, this ROM seems to be running quite well. Again, I haven't had quite enough time to fully run it through it's paces. However, initial thoughts and reactions are very good for me. It has a lot of aesthetic tweaks that are really nice and cool. Some things aren't working properly. I cannot use Google Search and just get FC's with it. This is even after fixing permissions, uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Not a huge deal for me since I've only used the app twice since I got my phone over a year ago. My Amazon App Store constantly FC's in the background, but is fine when I open it to use it.

I am running a P3 1100 Low Volt 250-1100 kernel. This seems to be working just fine and haven't noticed any problems with Wireless Tethering,OC, or WIFI.

Overall, I think this ROM is great based on first impressions and is everything I would expect from Woodyman. I miss a few extra tweaks, but know that he is working on a settings app and expect it to be more than just great!

If you were holding out on this ROM to see what people are saying, I am telling you that based on first impressions, it is worth the flash. Besides, it is the ONLY updated froyo ROM and I don't foresee anyone else developing froyo for the og droid anymore. If GB isn't for you (with the og droid and memory issues), then give this a shot.

@mobrienjr: I also noticed major lag with Angry Birds on other froyo ROMs. I could usually play the game for 15-20 minutes, but then it would lag badly until I restarted my phone. Also, there would be times that it would simply freeze up and be closed out by the built in app manager. I think this has more to do with the lack of RAM in the Droid and would explain the similarities between what what happens with Angry Birds and what happens on most (if not all) GB ROMs. Once I've given my phone some time to settle down from the fresh flash, I'll check out the games and see what happens.

Kratos

very excited, cant wait to see some s/s's

Ok, screen shot... I get it now.

I'm not sure what you want s/s on. do you want some on the settings? Since it is so easy to customize homescreens, it would be almost pointless to provide s/s of that. I could get one of the notification pull down bar as that is different than any I have seen before. Let me know what you want s/s of and I will get them.

Now, for the good stuff. I have been running this rom for about two days now and couldn't be happier. There are some small bugs that really aren't that big of a deal and I'm not even sure if it is ROM specific bug or just apps not play well with this ROM.

One bug is that my Amazon Appstore fc's in the background constantly. However, I can open it, use it, download apps, etc just fine. But about 10-15 minutes after I exit the app, I receive a pop-up stating that it has FC'd.

Another bug, that very well may be something with my SD card, is that I keep getting errors with about 90% of my music. I get "Corrupt file" and "Cannot play that type of file" errors on the stock music app, cubed, and tunewiki. I have cleared data for all three apps and it still happens. I also have copied the files over to a computer that didn't already have the files on it and was able to play them just fine in both WMP and iTunes. The informed the Dev of this issue and he stated that he can play his just fine. He stated that he will look into it, but doesn't think it's a ROM issue.

The only other issue I run into is frequent homescreen redraws. I have LP+ set to attempt to keep it in memory, but still get the redraws. Not a big deal.

Otherwise, this ROM is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Kratos

My phone doesnt seem to like GB roms so i decided to head back to froyo and am currently running the latest version of bugless beast. How would you say performance wise it compares to BB? Hows the battery life as well?

Watching.

I too, have just not quite found GB Roms to be . . . . well enough and have gone back to my CM6.2, but I guess I'll watch this one too.

@kratos: instead of using your 'home' app's settings to lock into memory there's always the local.prop method. I have two files in my 'files' link in my sig in update.zip style if you wish to try them. They're both named "ReDrawFix[etc].zip" and are applied using the method that your choice of custom recovery requires.

My phone doesnt seem to like GB roms so i decided to head back to froyo and am currently running the latest version of bugless beast. How would you say performance wise it compares to BB? Hows the battery life as well?

Personally, I think performance is very good. I am using an 1100MHz kernel (P3 Droid LV 250-1100) and have decent performance. There is slight lag when trying to multi-task, but this is to be expected with a phone that has so little RAM. I experienced more lag using CM and UD than I have with this ROM. As for comparison with BB, I cannot provide an accurate comment or assessment on that as I used BB for about two days when I first rooted, before I fell in love with UD.

Watching.

I too, have just not quite found GB Roms to be . . . . well enough and have gone back to my CM6.2, but I guess I'll watch this one too.

@kratos: instead of using your 'home' app's settings to lock into memory there's always the local.prop method. I have two files in my 'files' link in my sig in update.zip style if you wish to try them. They're both named "ReDrawFix[etc].zip" and are applied using the method that your choice of custom recovery requires.

I vaguely remember reading something about locking apps in memory using custom files, but never really investigated such ideas as UD and CM have the ability to do this built into the ROM. I will definitely check this out, thank you very much!

On a somewhat separate, but almost same note, I restarted my phone this evening because my camera wasn't rendering pictures properly. Upon boot-up, my music plays perfectly, camera works, no homescreen redraws, no lag, etc. Not sure if the RAM just needed to have a fresh clear or what, but almost all of the issues I stated before are gone now!

As for games with this ROM, I have played Angry Birds and Angry Birds Rio multiple times on this ROM. There have been a couple times where the game started to lag badly after about 15-20 minutes of restarting a level constantly. Angry Birds also has closed out on my twice in the middle of a game. Otherwise, no problems. All other ROMs I have played these games on have done these same things and I truly believe that it has everything to do with the lack of RAM in our Droids.

Kratos

Just a quick update, I am absolutely loving this ROM! It may be missing the custom ROM settings for now, but it is awesome!

I must say that this ROM is treating me much better than UD 2.5.0 Last Nightly.

Kratos

After using GB roms for the past few months, I am tired of all the bugs plaguing most of them (MMS not always working, 3g cutting out, etc.) and figured I would try out Froyo again.

I installed this rom, and keep getting nothing but problems with it. I have tried 3 fresh installs and all do the same thing. When I reboot the phone, it goes into a bootloop as soon as the lock screen shows up. The first time, I restored a lot of stuff, so wiped and installed again and tried it with nothing on there, same result.

Tried a 3rd time and got the same problem. I have no idea what the heck the problem is, but I am pretty much giving up on this ROM, as apparently fresh installs don't matter.

After using GB roms for the past few months, I am tired of all the bugs plaguing most of them (MMS not always working, 3g cutting out, etc.) and figured I would try out Froyo again.

I installed this rom, and keep getting nothing but problems with it. I have tried 3 fresh installs and all do the same thing. When I reboot the phone, it goes into a bootloop as soon as the lock screen shows up. The first time, I restored a lot of stuff, so wiped and installed again and tried it with nothing on there, same result.

Tried a 3rd time and got the same problem. I have no idea what the heck the problem is, but I am pretty much giving up on this ROM, as apparently fresh installs don't matter.

A suggestion would be to try and flash a different kernel right after flashing the rom and before rebooting. It might be the included kernel your phone is not liking.

For the most part, GB runs pretty well on my Droid. There's still the quirks that everyone experiences, but most are pretty livable. I tried this ROM (and other Froyo ROMs) to try and enjoy my Droid without bugs for a lil while. I was taken aback as most of the quirks I was trying to eliminate still persisted.

I'm thinking that perhaps the main prob is that power users like us have pushed the limits of our Droid so much (and so quickly), that we've reached a ceiling in it's capabilities. My only advice is to find a ROM that gives you the features you want/need, and gives you the least amount of headaches. Personally I'm ready to move on from my beloved Droid.

Getting back on track, I've had a lot of experience with Woodyman's ROMs, and have had the pleasure of beta testing back in the Succulent Desire days. It seems he's back on the ball once again pushing out newer versions and trying to get his ROM where it should be. Even if it's not where you want it to be, keep up to date with his posts. He's going to work to perfect it.

I'm thinking that perhaps the main prob is that power users like us have pushed the limits of our Droid so much (and so quickly), that we've reached a ceiling in it's capabilities.

+1 on this. I am thinking that GB is probably going to be the last version or Droids can run. This is by no means meant to be a slam on the devs out there as they have done some amazing things bringing GB to the phones. I look at how much jury-rigging and manipulating of the Droids memory was done so that GB can run on our phones and can't imagine what 2.4 or something else might require (though I hope they can make it work).

I think it is pretty cool that we have gone as long as we have. I wonder how phones like the Droid x or D2 will keep up since they have to always rely on Verizon's stock kernel (or will they become obsolete faster than the D1 ever will). I don't think there will be a phone like the Droid again (one that is so open and easily developed for).:(

These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Personally I'm ready to move on from my beloved Droid.

I am SOO ready to move on from my D1. Been waiting a long time for it and am anxious for a nice new powerful device with a larger screen,alot more internal memory, and the ability to run the newest roms without burping constantly like the D1 does. Tired of the headaches trying to force feed GB to this thing....

Back
Top Bottom