• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New here

jjohn7293

Android Enthusiast
Ok so the triumphant Triumph is going to be passed on to me fiancee, and I am getting the Evo V. I don't have it yet, but I would like to know if there are any different versions of the phone that would require different hacking strategies? I basically just want root, but the ability to flash an underclock kernel would be nice to save battery life. Thanks, and sorry for invading on the community! :D

Welcome :) if you mean software wise I don't think so. But some phones are sprint branded while others are virgin branded. Rooting the phone will be slightly harder than gingerbreak :D since you will have to do it on the computer but once you do that I highly suggest doing the tweaking to make it into an evo 3d to run sprint roms and get better service ;)

Welcome :) if you mean software wise I don't think so. But some phones are sprint branded while others are virgin branded. Rooting the phone will be slightly harder than gingerbreak :D since you will have to do it on the computer but once you do that I highly suggest doing the tweaking to make it into an evo 3d to run sprint roms and get better service ;)

So, by that you mean that there are no differences between phones that first originally came out and phones are out right now? And the one that I am going to purchase is not a sprint branded phone. Actually, I will not be making the purchase until my birthday :) But that's pretty close lol

Edit:
So, do you mean that if I turn it into a Sprint 3-D HTC then I will be able to run any ROM that was made for the sprint phone?

So, by that you mean that there are no differences between phones that first originally came out and phones are out right now? And the one that I am going to purchase is not a sprint branded phone. Actually, I will not be making the purchase until my birthday :) But that's pretty close lol

Edit:
So, do you mean that if I turn it into a Sprint 3-D HTC then I will be able to run any ROM that was made for the sprint phone?

Yeah there shouldn't be any differences between phones that came out and the ones present. Phones might ship with the recent update nce there was recently that fixed the sms radio interface error but I think people who updated said it didn't block root or any hacking (thank god). If you do turn it into an evo 3d you will definitely be able to run almost all sprint evo (CDMA NOT GSM) roms on the phone. It might take you to bit of time to do the entire process though but if you need help just ask us on that thread. :)

Yeah there shouldn't be any differences between phones that came out and the ones present. Phones might ship with the recent update nce there was recently that fixed the sms radio interface error but I think people who updated said it didn't block root or any hacking (thank god). If you do turn it into an evo 3d you will definitely be able to run almost all sprint evo (CDMA NOT GSM) roms on the phone. It might take you to bit of time to do the entire process though but if you need help just ask us on that thread. :)

Thank you! And this may seem redundant, but I have been looking around, and what I came up with for ROM decision was this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1634984

Granted it is a port of the Evo V 4g to the official Sprint phone, but it has lots of goodies added in, and also bloat and "Tracking" were removed. This shouldn't be a problem?

Thank you! And this may seem redundant, but I have been looking around, and what I came up with for ROM decision was this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1634984

Granted it is a port of the Evo V 4g to the official Sprint phone, but it has lots of goodies added in, and also bloat and "Tracking" were removed. This shouldn't be a problem?

There hasn't been a single Rom made for the sprint 3D that I haven't been able to run on the Evo V :D

Nooooo don't flash that! :eek: That is for Sprint. It may brick your phone unless you S-Off'd. That is just a port from our phone to the actual evo 3d. There are plenty of roms like that which you don't even need to s-off for that are built for this phone :). They also of course have tweaks and almost all have the bloat removed. Examples are: Harmonia, Mobster Rom, Meanrom, Midnight Rom, Midnight Sensless, Mobster/Unsensable, Power Rom, and many more that I can't name from the top of my head. Some might need s-off for the custom kernels to work, but I think all will work without S-off.

According to some people who did the update, the OTA update did work and somewhat fixed the SMS problems. I think someone said they still had a small problem with data dropping to 1x though. So you might be able to skip the s-off process if you don't need to flash sprint roms. But I would S-off anyway :D.

Lol I was about to ask, didn't you say if I "turned"my phone into a sprint 3d, it would run virtually any ROM for either one..?

Yes because of the ENG hboot (1.04) which let's us do that. You should check out the "turn your phone into an evo 3d" thread. You will be swapping the pri, hboot, and some other stuff. There is an excellent guide by Mrpraslov (I think that's how you spell it) that shows how to do everything about hacking the phone. I'll try and link it here when I'm on my pc. :)

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=608765

This is one of the best guides for this phone out there and it's not even stickied :mad: but it shows you how to do everything I think. :cool: there are other guides that are stickied as well if you don't like this one. :D this covers rooting s-off and finally into the evo 3d

Thank you! I emailed the link to myself, and I will look at it when I get home from work in the morning.

Harmonia seems very nice, but is there a stock ROM that is not changed at all except for bloat and logging removed, with system tweaks but no graphical changes? Or maybe all of the above done with an AOSP look and feel?

Harmonia seems very nice, but is there a stock ROM that is not changed at all except for bloat and logging removed, with system tweaks but no graphical changes? Or maybe all of the above done with an AOSP look and feel?

Midnight, especially if you want to overclock.

What exactly do you want to get out of your phone? Raw power? Excellent battery life? Stability? Lightness? Blue theme? A combination of these? For excellent battery life there's Mobster/UnSensable rom by nsciucco which was made to save battery. It's like Mobster/barebones but even lighter! Mobstergunz actually decided to make a battery efficient version of his rom called mobster rom v3 lite.. For stability choose harmonia. That rom is pretty much a complete package with the best tweaks and a stock look. Now if you want over clocking there's midnight rom by xthedakmanx. He also made a lite version of his rom, called midnight rom s.

If you don't like the htc sense graphics there's always mobster rom which is black and blue. Trust me there is much more than that in harmonia but the list would be too long. If you flash a custom kernel on it, it kinda would be on par with midnight rom.

If you don't like the htc sense graphics there's always mobster rom which is black and blue. Trust me there is much more than that in harmonia but the list would be too long. If you flash a custom kernel on it, it kinda would be on par with midnight rom.

in Harmonia is there a way to make everything "look"stock?

Back
Top Bottom