• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Nook - Double Check my understanding?

Klauven

Member
I am getting a nook in the mail today. I assume it will have V1.2. I did some research and below is my understanding, I would really appreciate it if any of your veterans can look over it and let me know if I am understanding this or if I have my steps wrong. I winged it rooting a droidx and really wish I had a clear understanding before starting that project.

1. I assumed before I do anything, I need to root using Autonooter but it says I cannot use with v 1.2 which I assume my nook will come with. So I need to use Manual Nooter? Link below
ManualNooter 4.5.25 (For Stock 1.2) - xda-developers
2. Now I will need to repartition using the link below?
[HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media - xda-developers
3. Only then can I install Phiremod to the internal memory using this link?
http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...emod-your-nook-color-updated-5-29-2011-a.html
4. Then I can install Honeycomb on the SD card using the below link (I bought one of those Sandisk C2 8GB cards from RadioShack)
http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...eycomb-android-3-0-nook-color-usd-method.html

Can I assume I can install customer Kernels using clockwork in order to overclock any time after step 1?
 
All is pretty accurate except step 4. you can do anytime. If you have Honeycomb on an sd card and it's in the Nook at startup, it will boot the sd card. You don't even need to root the Nook to do this.
 
I've got one of the 1.2 NCs, when I rooted mine last week I did not do your step 2. I've got Phiremod flashed and running just fine.
 
I've got one of the 1.2 NCs, when I rooted mine last week I did not do your step 2. I've got Phiremod flashed and running just fine.

I will give skipping this step a whirl, maybe I will be lucky also.

I only have 1 Micro SDHC card, am I going to need a 2nd for Clockwork?
 
You don't HAVE to have an SD card for CW, you can install it in emmc. However it's a good safety net to have a bootable CW card around in case something goes horribly at some point when you're flashing a ROM or kernal. That's the way I chose to do things, but you do what makes you most comfortable.
When you do root, the fisrt thing you should do is make a backup of your stock ROM, that gives you another safety net - and you can't have too many of those.
 
I never rooted my 1.1 NC, just went straight to Phiremod.

Honeycomb has more eye candy, but it also slows down the Nook. Phiremod or CM7 (which it's based on) are a bit more polished and quite a bit of development goes into those roms.

The repartitioning is to allow more room for apps and less for books. It is destructive so whatever is on those partitions is delete. My preference would be to do that before I got it all set up so I only have to do it once. :D
 
I never rooted my 1.1 NC, just went straight to Phiremod.
:D

Can I do that? Just skip rooting and go straight to Phiremod?

The repartitioning is to allow more room for apps and less for books. It is destructive so whatever is on those partitions is delete. My preference would be to do that before I got it all set up so I only have to do it once. :D

I have a Moto Droid with a pitiful 262MB of internal memory, however as long as I can move apps to SD, I have never had an issue. I assume you can move apps to SD right? I sure would love skipping the repartitioning step.
 
There's two parts to my Phiremod instructions. One is for users that are rooted, the other just installs off a small, cheap, bootable sdcard devoted to installing or repairing. My instructions for installing CM7 is similar, users upgrading and users installing from the removable sdcard.

I've never used apps2sd. I just let things install where they want to. I've seen reports of instability with moving apps to the sdcard. (User plugs phone into usb and phone reboots.) Your results may be different but it's something you should be aware of.

Internal storage is generally considered to be faster than external. My experience is that internal storage is more dependable. I had a class 10 (fast) sdcard fail after 5 weeks.
 
Internal storage is generally considered to be faster than external. My experience is that internal storage is more dependable. I had a class 10 (fast) sdcard fail after 5 weeks.

Have you checked out this thread?
SD Strange-results - or - How I learned to love CM7 on SD - xda-developers

It seems to imply Class 10 cards are very poor for Android applications/ROMs because they have poor small block random write speeds. That is why I purchased a Class 2 Sandisk.
 
I've linked to that page several times, including at least once on the NC forum. :D

I'm running a 16 gb class 4 Sandisk card on mine.
 
Class 10 cards are best for actual storage when running on internal memory. I have all my tunes on a 16gb Class 10 and it seemed to help playback with less time gaps between tracks. Reading/writing backups is also noticeably faster.
 
Back
Top Bottom