• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New S5 Active User is Leary about Privacy Questions

TomG628

Lurker
Hi,
I am a new user to The Galaxy S5 Active and Android and am formerly an iphone user for over 5 years. I am still learning but am getting increasingly uncomfortable with the constant privacy and permission questions I'm getting with every Google App I install. The latest was the Health App which asked permission to read the contents of my USB Storage and to find Accounts on my device and add or delete passwords! There were others that I did not copy. Isn't this going too far? Apple never had such difficulty in registering an app. This definitely makes me wonder if I made the right choice. Tom

Hi,
I am a new user to The Galaxy S5 Active and Android and am formerly an iphone user for over 5 years. I am still learning but am getting increasingly uncomfortable with the constant privacy and permission questions I'm getting with every Google App I install. The latest was the Health App which asked permission to read the contents of my USB Storage and to find Accounts on my device and add or delete passwords! There were others that I did not copy. Isn't this going too far? Apple never had such difficulty in registering an app. This definitely makes me wonder if I made the right choice. Tom

Welcome to Android and Android Forums,I have all that google crap Disabled/Deleted.BTW,They are just just standard Google TOS and plus google wants your location to.Which I deny every time it pops up.

Hi,

Here's the thing Tom, Apple iOS apps can do exactly the same thing, full access to all your private information, passwords, accounts, etc. But the difference is between Android and iOS, is that Android tells you about it, and so it's up to you if you trust a particular app or not with the given information, like say a health app. iOS keeps the privacy permissions hidden and secret, and doesn't tell you anything. You install the health app on your iPhone, no permissions dialogues, and that's it, you're happy. If a health app has social networking included, like Nike+ Fuelband, then it may well need access to personal information and storage.

If you install any app, and you think the permissions are unreasonable and invasive for that app's purpose, like say a wallpaper or flashlight app that requires personal information, passwords, GPS location and full internet access, then don't install it. Or if you feel like it, send off an email to the app dev, asking them why they require those permissions.

Yes, be more comfortable in the fact that apps actually "ask" for your permission rather than more comfortable that they don't.

A sure case of "ignorance is bliss." and an example of the difference between iOS and Android. One giving you the choice and the other assuming, at the best, you don't need it.

It may also be helpful to read this thread:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

I still find it very useful now, as some permissions aren't immediately obvious. As an example, "read contents of USB storage" is required if an app stores data on external storage; it has to be able to read its own file(s). Similarly, "Find accounts" is needed if the health app requires a log-in to a web site e.g. Runtastic, which I've used.

It's wise to be suspicious, as that's what keeps us safe. ;)

Back
Top Bottom